dismiss

Dreamtigers (Texas Pan American Series) by…

Dreamtigers (Texas Pan American Series) (original 1960; edition 1985)

by Jorge Luis Borges (Author)

Dreamtigers has been heralded as one of the literary masterpieces of the twentieth century by Mortimer J. Adler, editor of Great Books of the Western World. It has been acknowledged by its author as his most personal work. Composed of poems, parables, and stories, sketches and apocryphal quotations, Dreamtigers at first glance appears to be a sampler--albeit a dazzling one--of the master's work. Upon closer examination, however, the reader discovers the book to be a subtly and organically unified self-revelation. Dreamtigers explores the mysterious territory that lies between the dreams of the creative artist and the "real" world. The central vision of the work is that of a recluse in the "enveloping serenity " of a library, looking ahead to the time when he will have disappeared but in the timeless world of his books will continue his dialogue with the immortals of the past -- Homer, Don Quixote, Shakespeare. Like Homer, the maker of these dreams is afflicted with failing sight. Still, he dreams of tigers real and imagined and reflects upon of a life that, above all, has been intensely introspective, a life of calm self-possession and absorption in the world of the imagination. At the same time he is keenly aware of that other Borges, the public figure about whom he reads with mixed emotions: "It's the other one, it's Borges, that things happen to."… (more)
Member:jbpjackson
Title:Dreamtigers (Texas Pan American Series)
Authors:Jorge Luis Borges (Author)
Info:University of Texas Press (1985), Edition: 13th ed., 96 pages

Dreamtigers by Jorge Luis Borges (1960)

English (13)  Spanish (1)  All languages (14)
Strange and prismatic. I wish I could read this forever.

"Islam asserts that on the unappealable day of judgment every perpetrator of the image of a living creature will be raised from the dead with his works, and he will be commanded to bring them to life, and he will fail, and be cast out with them into the fires of punishment. As a child, I felt before large mirrors that same horror of a spectral duplication or multiplication of reality... I watched them with misgivings. Sometimes I feared they might begin to deviate from reality; other times I was afraid of seeing there my own face, disfigured by strange calamities. I have learned that this fear is again monstrously abroad in the world. The story is simple indeed, and disagreeable."

"It was at the foot of the next-to-last tower that the poet-- who was as if untouched by the wonders that amazed the rest-- recited the brief composition we find today indissolubly linked to his name and which, as the more elegant historians have it, gave him immortality and death. The text has been lost. There are some who contend it consisted of a single line; others say it had but a single world. The truth, the incredible truth, is that in the poem stood the enormous palace, entire and minutely detailed, with each illustrious porcelain and every sketch on every porcelain and the shadows and the light of the twilights and each unhappy or joyous moment of the glorious dynasties of mortals, gods, and dragons who had dwelled in it from the interminable past. All fell silent, but the Emperor exclaimed, "You have robbed me of my palace!" And the executioner's iron sword cut the poet down.

Others tell the story differently. There cannot be any two things alike in the world; the poet, they say, had only to utter the poem to make the palace disappear, as if abolished and blown to bits by the final syllable. Such legends, of course, amount to no more than literary fiction. The poet was a slave of the Emperor and as such he died. His composition sank into oblivion and his descendants still seek, nor will they find, the one word that contains the universe."

"Oh, incompetence! Never can my dreams engender the wild beast I long for."

Reading Borges requires a certain faith, a suspension of disbelief, like religion or astrology. If you're not into it I'm sure all this comes off as tedious, pretentious, and overblown. BUT! If you have the patience I promise this book will send you straight down the rabbit hole. If anything, this collection left me sad to live in a world so big and beautiful and to have still never finished Don Quixote (nor even started the Divine Comedy):

"Tradition has it that, on waking, [Dante] felt he had been given-- and then lost-- something infinite, something he would not be able to recover, or even to glimpse, for the machinery of the world is far too complex for the simplicity of man."

uncleflannery | May 16, 2020 |
Borges hodge-podge felt much more cohesive than I anticipated. The pieces that resonated with me most were the prose poems/short fiction that were compressed and expansive.
  b.masonjudy | Apr 3, 2020 |
Al final del libro dice "... una obra que hace honor a la lengua española y la mente universal...", y creo que no existe mejor descripción que esa. Sencillamente GENIAL. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
Absolutely magnificent! It is so compact that, if not already familiar with the ethos of Borges, one will little understand the connotations drawn forth between the lines, but by far this is one of the greatest compilations of an artist's portrait that I have read. His is not always a palatable aesthetic, but his mastery shines throughout this work. I encourage everyone to read it! ( )
  PhilSroka | Apr 12, 2016 |
  Glire | Jul 7, 2014 |

Jorge Luis Borgesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boyer, MildredTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
直, 鼓Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Engui­danos, MiguelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frasconi, AntonioIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morland, HaroldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leaving behind the babble of the plaza, I enter the Library.
Leaving behind the babble of the plaza, I enter the Library. I feel, almost physically, the gravitation of the books, the enveloping serenity of order, time magically dessicated and preserved.

Read the whole book at http://thefloatinglibrary.com/borges/... and see for yourself!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,811,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible