The Crossover (Graphic Novel) (The Crossover Series)

by Kwame Alexander, Dawud Anyabwile (Illustrator)

Series: The Crossover (graphic novel)

Fourteen-year-old twin basketball stars Josh and Jordan wrestle with highs and lows on and off the court as their father ignores his declining health.

I probably would not have liked this if it weren’t in graphic novel form. I found many of the verses corny, but the majority rhymed, so I liked that. I also like the relationship between JB and Josh though it does feel a bit co-dependent on Josh’s part. Still, I understand feeling jealous when it feels like the rug has been pulled from under you.

The business with their dad was super relatable. A lot of my older family members have struggled with high blood pressure. My family’s African-American, so you know soul food can be a big part of the culture. I completely get the difficulty of trying to change eating habits and get their dad to go to the doctor. I thought when the dad went into a coma was pretty dramatic and then he dies, but you know...

I guess ball is life and their mom wanted to take their mind off things, but, screw a middle-school basketball game. If my dad is dying, I want to see his last moments.

3.5 ( )
  DestDest | Jul 29, 2020 |
The Crossover graphic novel is a wonderful adaptation of Kwame Alexander’s original novel. Identical twin boys love basketball and are following in Dad’s footsteps, as he played professional basketball until an injury ended his career. Jordan and Jason may be identical and their love of basketball strong, but they are finding themselves growing up. Dad’s tips for basketball are truly more than just basketball lessons. He is giving them lessons for life, as the best coaches of our young people do. Will these lessons stick with his boys when he falls ill? Highly recommend this read! ( )
  lflareads | Jun 27, 2020 |
One sentence theme: Graphic novel told in verse which follows two teen African American playing basketball and dealing with serious family changes.
Plot summary: Written in poetic language and beautiful illustrations, it tells the story of two teens, living and playing life metaphorically with basketball.
Personal response: Love this book for the ways it crosses over genres and features diverse characters.
Curricular connections: Poetry, character analysis, sports, social studies, urban studies.
  Lynnea.West | Nov 12, 2019 |

Kwame Alexanderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Anyabwile, DawudIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

The Crossover (graphic novel)

Is an adaptation of

This is the graphic novel adaptation of The Crossover. It is a separate work from the original novel.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,405,516 books! | Top bar: Always visible