On Gold Mountain: The One-Hundred-Year…

by Lisa See (Author)

7562122,258 (3.94)1 / 50
Chronicles the experiences of a Chinese-American family in California, beginning with the immigration of the author's great-great-grandfather in the late 1800s.
Member:mrschacon
Title:On Gold Mountain: The One-Hundred-Year Odyssey of My Chinese-American Family
Authors:Lisa See (Author)
Info:Vintage (1996), Edition: 1st Vintage Books ed, 448 pages

On Gold Mountain: The One-Hundred-Year Odyssey of My Chinese-American Family by Lisa See

How Much of These Hills Is Gold by C Pam Zhang (MM_Jones)
    MM_Jones: Fiction and nonfiction descriptions of Chinese in California Gold Rush

English (20)  German (1)  All languages (21)
I highly recommend this book to folks who are into genealogy. It is a wonderful story of See's Chinese ancestry. I am grateful to the author for sharing it! ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
I don't generally write a review on a book I didn't finish although this time I feel compelled to do so. Although I have not left a rating as that didn't seem fair. I was in the mood for a nonfiction book and when I found this one I was really excited. Looked to be along the lines of David Laskin's "The Family" which I loved. On Gold Mountain is historical fiction, biographical fiction, whatever you want to call it but nonfiction it isn't. When an author can tell me what side off a street someone was walking on while he looked at a blue sky through whatever color green leaves and what he was thinking while doing so, or give detailed thoughts running a page or two of what was running through someone's mind while they are dying(both examples of which took place in the 1870s),that is not nonfiction. Same with the conversations that took place.
Just because you have researched a book for years and can take a pretty good guess at what you think someone might have thought, felt, or said, it's still a guess. It would have went over better with me if the author had even let the reader know she had taken some liberties in telling the story. I probably would have finished the book and left a 5 star rating because the writing is really very good. But in the end I felt mislead and irritated.
  flippinpages | Aug 4, 2018 |
Very interesting history of author, Lisa See's family. ( )
  yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
What I found interesting about the book was learning of the struggles of Chinese immigrants to make a life in America while supporting family back in China as told through the See family history. There are a lot of family members and it was difficult to keep some relationships straight. ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
Lisa details the history of Fong See, his travels to America, the business he created, and his ever growing family. In a time where Chinese were used as immigrant laborers, Fong See built a business in oriental art and married a white woman and spread his influence beyond the Chinatown of Los Angeles.

Although this book was slow at times, I thought it was interesting to read about the Chinese immigrant experience and the prejudice these families endured. The mixed-race children encountered their own difficulties, as they straddled the old and new Chinese/American cultures. I do wish the author had stuck with one name for everyone, instead of using the American name, Chinese name and then nick names. As the family grew this became more and more difficult to keep up with. Overall, a good book, one worth picking up. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Jun 25, 2015 |
For the great-great-grandsons of Letticie and Fong See, Alexander See Kendall and Christopher Copeland Kendall
Fong Dun Shung hoisted his Gold Mountain bag onto his shoulder and nodded one last time to his wife, daughter, and Number One and Number Four sons.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,586,583 books! | Top bar: Always visible