HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Dune 2: House Atreides by Brian Herbert

Dune 2: House Atreides (original 1999; edition 2021)

by Brian Herbert (Author)

A prequel to Frank Herbert's Dune, written by his son, based on a recently found manuscript. It is the story of a paleontologist sent to study the planet Arrakis, home to spices which give longevity.
Member:elainarusk1
Title:Dune 2: House Atreides
Authors:Brian Herbert (Author)
Info:Spotlight (2021), 24 pages

Work Information

Dune: House Atreides by Brian Herbert (1999)

English (30)  Spanish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (32)
Kevin J. Anderson is a robot. Likely created by James Patterson, his writing style is that of a third grader in which events are dictated list-like:
First, mummy took me to the store.
Second, mummy bought me a treat.
Third, I ate the treat.
Last, I have a tummy ache.
I also have a tummy ache. Mine, however is cause by the angst felt on considering the damage brought by these two "authors" to the legacy of the original Dune vision.

How far has House Herbert fallen. ( )
  macleod73 | Sep 14, 2022 |
  revirier | Dec 13, 2021 |
I found this on a list of books I read and I can't even remember it. Or rather, I have a weak memory of words passing my brain without getting stuck. ( )
  bratell | Dec 25, 2020 |
This novel doesn't stray as far from the canon as this trilogy will. ( )
  LoisSusan | Dec 10, 2020 |
Way more enjoyable than “Children of Dune.” I couldn’t follow that one when I was a teenager; tried again now that I’m pushing 60... still couldn’t focus. House Atreides isn’t perfect, but it is entertaining. Sue me, I like backstory.
  KaterinaBead | Oct 16, 2019 |

Brian Herbertprimary authorall editionscalculated
Anderson, Kevin J.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Linden, Vincent van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for our mentor, Frank Herbert,
who was every bit as fascinating and complex as
the marvelous Dune universe he created.
Lean and muscular, Baron Vladimir Harkonnen hunched forward next to the ornithopter pilot.

Frank Herbert's award-winning Dune chronicles captured the imagination of millions of readers worldwide. By his death in 1986, Herbert had completed six novels in the series, but much of his vision remained unwritten. Now, working from his father's recently discovered files, Brian Herbert and bestselling novelist Kevin J. Anderson collaborate on a new novel, the prelude to Dune—where we step onto the planet Arrakis…decades before Dune's hero, Paul Muad'Dib Atreides, walks its sands.

Here is the rich and complex world that Frank Herbert created, in the time leading up to the momentous events of Dune. As Emperor Elrood's son plots a subtle regicide, young Leto Atreides leaves for a year's education on the mechanized world of Ix; a planetologist named Pardot Kynes seeks the secrets of Arrakis; and the eight-year-old slave Duncan Idaho is hunted by his cruel masters in a terrifying game from which he vows escape and vengeance. But none can envision the fate in store form them; one that will make them renegades—and shapers of history.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 183,214,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible