Dungeons & Dragons: The Mad Mage's…

Dungeons & Dragons: The Mad Mage's Academy: An Endless Quest Book (edition 2019)

by Matt Forbeck (Author), Various (Illustrator)

851,553,028 (3.7)None
Member:JenJoBo
Title:Dungeons & Dragons: The Mad Mage's Academy: An Endless Quest Book
Authors:Matt Forbeck (Author)
Other authors:Various (Illustrator)
Info:Candlewick Entertainment (2019), 128 pages
Collections:2014

Dungeons & Dragons: The Mad Mage's Academy: An Endless Quest Book by Matt Forbeck

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Mad Mage's Academy was a fun "choose your own adventure" style book that is probably most appropriate for elementary to middle school aged children. I hadn't read this type of book in a long time, so it was a fun reminiscence. I spent an hour or so reading through the various choices trying to get to an ending that was somewhat happy. I don't think I found the correct ending, but the main character eventually escaped. It was fun. I will pass the book on to my 11 year old.

I was provided a free copy for an honest review. ( )
  JenJoBo | Oct 9, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
So...I haven't read a "Choose your own adventure" book since gradeschool. I was rather nervous going in and attempting to review this one, since I had no idea what to expect.

In the end, I found it to be a lovely hour or so of reading. I didn't note any mistakes in the editing--although I was admittedly reading fairly fast. As for the ending, you will have to find out yourself, but there are multiple ways of making it through, and multiple endings--good and bad. I do not know if that is normal for the type of book or not--can't remember.

Will I seek out more books in the series? Probably not--they just don't take long enough to read for me, for it to be worth it. But I am glad I tried something new with an Early reviewer. ( )
  Beorn_se_Bacaire | Oct 4, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Remember Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books? Over the last few decades they have gone in and out of style, but have never really gone away. The Mad Mage's Academy is a shorter, less complex CYOA set in the fantasy milieu of Waterdeep from the age-old Dungeons and Dragons mythos. This one is from the perspective of a rogue, a thief sent to pilfer a spell book from a powerful wizard deep in the dungeons underneath the mountain. Wizards of the Coast has published several other similar books recently, from the perspective of a cleric, a fighter, and so on.

Compared to other CYOA books it's a little shorter and less complex; perhaps aimed at third through sixth graders. There's no rolling of dice or keeping track of character attributes in this one, but it's definitely entertaining. I liked the various branching paths and the illustrations sprinkled throughout, although a few of the monsters and races are specific to D&D and not as well known to the average reader. Well, perhaps this will lead a curious kid to explore more of the world of D&D -- not a bad outcome, if you're the company. ( )
  singerji | Oct 2, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a simple choose-your-own-adventure book for younger readers. I thought it was good, but wished their were more choices or possible outcomes. For a book that is representing a game that is focused on role-play, I would hope that their would be an opportunity for readers to really get into character and make some bold decisions. I also wished that the protagonists class would come into play more often. It says right on the cover: "You are the rogue" but the choices didn't really focus much on the characters skills as a thief or other rogue abilities.

That said, I think young readers with an interest in dungeons and dragons, or perhaps just fantasy, would enjoy this. There are lots of illustrations throughout and you learn a bit about the setting of Waterdeep and the Mad Mage. ( )
  Juva | Sep 27, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Part of the Forgotton Realms "Endless Quest" series. It's "Choose Your Own Adventure" for D&D fans! Reading level looks to be 3rd-4th grade, by my estimation. It's not high fantasy literature, to be sure, but I'm betting a certain demographic of kids will eat this up. As it wasn't an ARC, I passed it on to my coworker who maintains the series paperback section for juveniles. ( )
  clrichm | Sep 21, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Matt Forbeck's book Dungeons & Dragons: The Mad Mage's Academy is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,945,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible