The American Dream?: A Journey on Route 66 Discovering Dinosaur Statues,… (2019)

by Shing Yin Khor

As a child growing up in Malaysia, Shing Yin Khor had two very different ideas of what "America" meant. The first looked a lot like Hollywood, full of beautiful people, sunlight, and freeways. The second looked more like The Grapes of Wrath--a nightmare landscape filled with impoverished people, broken-down cars, barren landscapes, and broken dreams. This book chronicles Shing's solo journey (small adventure-dog included) along the iconic Route 66, beginning in Santa Monica and ending up Chicago. What begins as a road trip ends up as something more like a pilgrimage in search of an American landscape that seems forever shifting and forever out of place.… (more)

I picked this up for my 12 year old daughter, who was possibly taking a road trip with her mom. I decided to peek into it, and was delighted by what a found! A sweet, engaging graphic 'memoir' by a woman who immigrated here from Malaysia! Great energy in this work, both in the illustrations and in the text! It was actually FUN to read!

Route 66! "You know Steinbeck called it the Mother Road?" (I didn't!) I've traveled most of this road (though it had been swallowed up by Interstate 40 by the time I got to it!) and still, I learned a lot about it from this book! And I liked the author's search for herself, the American Dream, and the concept of home. Just a cool, cool book!

Now the epilogue, wow! The author writes that this trip took place 6 months before Trump's 'election'. Could this same trip be taken now, in the hate filled atmosphere that 45 has stoked and manipulated? Could a "brown girl" drive Route 66 "fearlessly"? Sad to say, the simple answer is no. 45 and his mindless automatons have made fear and hate the current American Dream. It's more like Route 666 under this regime... ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Sep 2, 2020 |
A Malaysian American woman road trips from California to Chicago on old Route 66. They say they were inspired to undertake the journey by John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath, but since they are accompanied by Bug, the Tiny Adventure Dog, and do a lot of camping, I was surprised there was no mention of Travels with Charley: In Search of America.

Passably amusing and informative anecdotes from a unique perspective, but a little on the light side, with stabs at deeper meaning not really finding the mark. ( )
  villemezbrown | Dec 18, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,766,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible