Marked by PC & Kristin Cast

Marked

by PC & Kristin Cast

Series: House of Night (1)

The House of Night series is set in a world very much like our own, except in 16-year-old Zoey Redbird's world, vampires have always existed. In this first book in the series, Zoey enters the House of Night, a school where, after having undergone the Change, she will train to become an adult vampire--that is, if she makes it through the Change. Not all of those who are chosen do. It's tough to begin a new life, away from her parents and friends, and on top of that, Zoey finds she is no average fledgling. She has been Marked as special by the vampire Goddess, Nyx. But she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers. When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite club, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny--with a little help from her new vampire friends.… (more)
Member:Jabiru
Title:Marked
Authors:PC & Kristin Cast
Info:Publisher Unknown

Work Information

Marked by P. C. Cast

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (kassyavon)
    Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz (Kerian, PandorasRequiem)
    PandorasRequiem: Same flavor *grin* as these books in this series. If you like this series, you will also most likely "Blue Bloods" by Melissa De La Cruz. Private "Vampire Finishing School": narrated by the outcast who has problems fitting into her new surroundings, her new attraction to blood and the Changes in her body. But, she has good friends who stand by her and attracts the eye of a quite fetching young man. Good read, same type of genre. :)… (more)
    Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer (kassyavon)
    kassyavon: You will Love this book if you like The House of night series.
    Evernight by Claudia Gray (tyuiop159)
    In the Forests of the Night by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (Kateri28)

English (361)  German (4)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (368)
During my high school years, I read Marked. Despite my hatred for Zoey Redbird, I’m curious about what’s about to happen to her. I only read the first five books of the series before stopping.

One day at school, a Tracker marked Zoey Redbird and turned her into a vampire. With a refreshingly fresh take on the vampire legends, this story combines matriarchy and goddess worship to a pleasing effect. The Goddess Nyx has marked Zoey specially she given a special responsibility and added gifts, which she will need since there is something wrong at the House of Night, and her own mentor and High Priestess may not be as gentle and caring as she claims to be.

The first thing you need to know about Zoey is that she is such a hateful person. It has been a long time since I read about an MC who radiates such negative energy. Here, she calls all girls she doesn’t like derogatory names, such as bitches, hags, sluts, and hos. She believes she is better than them. She has a group of friends who are like her, and I don’t like any of them.

There is nothing impressive about Marked’s world building.

The House of Night series is set in a world very similar to our own, except that in Zoey Redbird’s world, vampires have always existed.

However, Marked does such a horrible job of implementing it. It’s labeled fantasy. With vampires having existed for so long, why are people so ignorant of them? Why is there only one vampire boarding school? Wouldn’t vampires have waged war against humans if they had existed for so long? After all, they’re much stronger than them. Considering how attractive vampires are and how successful they have been, why would anyone discriminate against them?

Marked’s romance is rubbish.

Their relationship was entirely insta-love. Their first encounter was as Aphrodite sucking Erik’s cock, which is the most disturbing aspect of the story. This is serious. Zoey sees Aphrodite forcing a blow-job on Erik. The two of them fall in love.

If you’re reading it out of curiosity, I can tell you it’s just as terrible as you imagine. Do not read this and be happy you didn’t. ( )
  librariefellings | Nov 20, 2022 |
I read this for the first time when I was a teenager, and I loved it. Now, I think the entire series is very problematic. It’s still a guilty pleasure for me because I really enjoy the whole idea behind it and I want to know how the story ends, but I should warn any future readers. You will find annoying teen girls (beginning with Zoey, the protagonist, who is insufferable), slut-shaming and homophobic comments (there’s a gay character, but also a lot of stereotyping and just nonsense). ( )
  inkspellonyou | Aug 10, 2022 |
Edit - 2017
You know those dark and dirty secrets you are ashamed to share with anyone and are willing to take to your grave at all costs? THIS IS IT.
So do yourself a favour of never picking up this disaster of a train-wreck. PLEASE.

I somehow made it all the way to book 9, once upon a time. (shudder) To be honest, book 1 is the only one I've actually, y'know, read. (did I really though? I remember lots of skimming. And skipping. And nothing-to-see-moving-on)

And things only get worse from here on out. And it draaaags...
It horrible.

Save yourselves while you can.
Flee. Flee for your lives. ( )
  QuirkyCat_13 | Jun 20, 2022 |
Marked, the first book in the House of Night series by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast, is the story of Zoey Redbird, a sixteen year old girl who has been marked as a fledgling vampyre. It’s not an easy time, new life, new school, new people all while going through a major physical change, and the posibility of not surviving it. Zoey also has to deal with the fact that she is incredibly unique, she was blessed by the goddess Nyx herself leaving her with a different mark than the other fledglings, a bloodlust that’s set in a few years early and of course you other average high school boy and sworn enemy drama.

Well, I actually got really into it. I busted through it in just a few hours. Part of that I’m sure is my mad skill, but mostly it’s just an easy read. I found myself getting annoyed with the drama (I went to high school, I graduated, I’m over it), but I suppose it is part of what makes the book seem real, for lack of a better term.

The big winner for me in this book is the mythology behind it. Not only was the vampire mythology quite interesting, but there was also a lot about the Cherokee indians in it (Zoey is a descendent of the Cherokee who was educated in their ways by her grandmother, and it takes place in Oklahoma – both of which I have roots in).

I really liked Zoey and her friends – the new ones. As far as the people from her old life, I wasn’t in love with them with the exception of her puppy dog ex Heath. I didn’t hate him, but the groveling could get annoying.

Though this shows some similarities between other vampire series, all in all it was well thought out. It’s similar to the Sookie Stackhouse novels in that the vamps are ‘out of the coffin’, and like the Midnight Breed series they have natural markings that they grow into – only difference being that it seems they are earned in the House of Night series. As far as teen vampire series go, I still find Vampire Academy to be my favorite, but I would still recommend Marked as an easy and interesting read. ( )
  amongstories | May 15, 2022 |
2nd read.. still an ok read, nothing special
I really like the idea and the world, but honestly, I don't like at all the insta love! ( )
  Hanna_Rybchynska | Apr 29, 2022 |

Ortíz Núñez, JaimeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serrão, SusanaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wren, EdwinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
From Hesiod's poem to Nyx, the Greek personification of night:

"There also stands the gloomy house of Night;
ghastly clouds shroud it in darkness.
Before it Atlas stands erect and on his head
and unwearying arms firmly supports the broad sky,
where Night and Day cross a bronze threshold
and then come close and greet each other."

(Hesiod, Theogony, 744 ᶠᶠ∙)
For our wonderful agent, Meredith Bernstein, who said the three magic words: vampyre finishing school. We heart you!
Just when I thought my day couldn't get any worse I saw the dead guy standing next to my locker.
I've found that the way a person feels about cats - and the way they feel about him or her in return - is usually an excellent gauge by which to measure a person's character.
Cats chose us; we don't own them.
(pg. 43)

Beautiful, see the cloud, the cloud appear.
Beautiful, see the rain, the rain draw near...
(pg. 43)

Who spoke?
The little corn ear,
High on top of the stalk...
(pg. 102)

4th hour-Fencing. Gymnasium. Prof. D. Lankford

LUNCH

5th hour-Spanish 101. Rm. 216. Prof. Garmy
6th hour-Intro to Equestrian Studies. Field House. Prof. Lenobia

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,035,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible