The Boy from the Woods by Harlan Coben

The Boy from the Woods (edition 2020)

by Harlan Coben (Author)

Series: Wilde (1)

"The man known as Wilde is a mystery to everyone, including himself. Decades ago, he was found as a boy living feral in the woods, with no memory of his past. After the police concluded an exhaustive hunt for the child's family, which was never found, he was turned over to the foster system. Now, thirty years later, Wilde still doesn't know where he comes from, and he's back living in the woods on the outskirts of town, content to be an outcast, comfortable only outdoors, preferably alone, and with few deep connections to other people. When a local girl goes missing, famous TV lawyer Hester Crimstein--with whom Wilde shares a tragic connection--asks him to use his unique skills to help find her. Meanwhile, a group of ex-military security experts arrive in town, and when another teen disappears, the case's impact expands far beyond the borders of the peaceful suburb. Wilde must return to the community where he has never fit in, and where the powerful are protected even when they harbor secrets that could destroy the lives of millions . . . secrets that Wilde must uncover before it's too late"--… (more)
Member:Shannonb8
Title:The Boy from the Woods
Authors:Harlan Coben (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2020), Edition: Reprint, 416 pages
Collections:Craft room

Work Information

The Boy from the Woods by Harlan Coben

English (50)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (52)
I'm so bummed. I wanted to know more about him. I didn't care about the celebrity/murder/not murder/everybody's bad. I didn't care!!! I wanted to know about Wilde!!! Ugh, I don't know if I even want to read the next book. ( )
  fictionvictim | Jul 17, 2024 |
Harlan Coben’s latest thriller, The Boy from the Woods, is mostly about how the search for a bullied teenager ends up leading down a trail of kidnapping, blackmail, political shenanigans, and internet influencers that reveals some very nasty secrets. As usual, virtually everybody in the book has something to hide, and Coben keeps the twists coming to the very last line. So on that level, it’s a 3-star read, marked down from 4 because the whole “boy from the woods” angle really doesn’t have much to do with the story and because it takes over 100 pages to get into the real nitty-gritty.

Now -- anybody here remember a movie called ‘Wag the Dog’? It was a 1997 black comedy about how easily information could be manipulated to create totally false scenarios.

The reason I bring this up is that the real heart of this pseudo-thriller is a segment that’s kind of a “Dog the Wag”, if you will, wherein a public figure puts together a lightning campaign to discredit a genuine video. This time, it’s not the images that are manipulated, but the social media response to it. And it is scarier, frankly, than anything Coben (or Stephen King or H.P. Lovecraft or Dean Koontz) ever wrote.

So if you get the chance, pick this book up. I don't care whether you read the rest of it or not, but please read Chapter 31. And think about it every time you see a video posted on the internet, or hear an opinion piece that tries to push every button you own. ( )
  LyndaInOregon | Jun 6, 2024 |
I received this book from Goodreads Giveaways in exchange for a review here and on my blog Samwise Reviews. I feel that the publisher’s blurb was more exciting than the actual story, but the plot still sucked me in enough that I read the book start to finish in an afternoon. I would give it 4/5 stars. I never felt that the characters were truly in danger, though there was a strong sense of “what happens next” that kept me going. The characters were lively and likeable and I would definitely like to get to know them better. The ending certainly had a twist that I didn’t expect, though I’m not sure that I enjoyed it. It wasn’t bad, it just wasn’t a resolution that I felt was the most fulfilling. It was my first time reading Harlan Coben and I look forward to checking out his other works.

This also worked for the "A Character Who Is A Senior" part of my 2020 reading challenge. ( )
  Linyarai | Mar 6, 2024 |
Mystery
  BooksInMirror | Feb 19, 2024 |
It was just too much

Every cliche,red herring, " unexpected" twist and big reveal has happened at least twice in this book. The title of this book should have been "Rusty : Was my involvement necessary?" Even when it wasn't about Rusty,it was about Rusty.But I digress, Wilde a middle aged man, was found in the woods as an a boy is the titular character behind this missing person mystery.A young girl (Naomi) misses and his task is to find her. A simple premise until Rusty (a presidential candidate) and the Maynards' sideline the whole dynamic. Treats Naomi's disappearance as a hindrance from finding Crash,the Maynards' son. She was bullied by Crash and his friends. Ok,but where is Crash? Her father is probably an alcoholic and abusive forwards her. OK, BUT WHERE IS CRASH!? The characters,the plot,the climax and the pacing was very underwhelming and predictable. It's presented as a high stakes affair but it's not. There were no consequences, for anyone. I wanted to like it but I just couldn't. ( )
  OnniAdda | Nov 22, 2023 |
Voor Ben Sevier
al twaalf boeken
redacteur en vriend
en we gaan door
To Ben Sevier
Editor and Friend
Twelve books and counting
Hoe houdt ze zich staande?
How does she survive?
You grow immune to cruelty. It becomes the norm.
"She is that girl, Wilde. The full-on, grade-A, bullied outcast. Somehow—and this will sound awful—but there is something about her that makes it easier for people. Human nature that no one wants to discuss."
Memory is faulty because it insists on filling in the blanks.
Sad how the world was now—really, did you want to arm two guys like this and stick them near a school? Do we really want to protect our children by giving guns to two underpaid cop wannabes and then mixing them in with a bunch of wiseass teens?
You move forward in life. You may give the old you a nod every once in a while, but the old you is gone and not coming back. That was often a good thing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,283,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible