The Star-Crossed Sisters of Tuscany by Lori…

The Star-Crossed Sisters of Tuscany (original 2020; edition 2020)

by Lori Nelson Spielman (Author)

Member:lemeeks
Title:The Star-Crossed Sisters of Tuscany
Authors:Lori Nelson Spielman (Author)
Info:Berkley (2020), 400 pages

The Star-Crossed Sisters of Tuscany: A Novel by Lori Nelson Spielman (2020)

This book started out really strong for me, as I immediately fell in love with our main character's Great Aunt Poppy. She has tons of wise sayings that are also fun, lots of zest for life, and hands out lucky pennies as a blessing, or acknowledgement of sorts, to those she is drawn to or who she feels need a pick-me-up.

I also loved the Italian setting - in particular the first area that our main character Emilia, her cousin Lucy, and Aunt Poppy visit - Venice. The descriptions of the city of canals are so authentic- and real-feeling that you blink and almost feel you are there along side the trio of lovely ladies. The author clearly has spent time in Venice and brought it beautifully to life.

I did feel, however, that the story waned a bit as I reached the end. I won't spoil the story line for you, but I will say that while the requisite troubles and heartaches thrown the characters' way were the love-starved events that were appropriate or even expected; yet at the same time, to me at least, they fell a little flat. This is a beautiful story in a beautiful setting and I would love to read a further-edited version that adds a bit more of that special "wow factor" that was present early on.

Overall, a lovely offering I received through Once Upon a Book Club. To purchase The Star-Crossed Sisters of Tuscany, or other OUABC offerings, please hop over to BookShop.org - the online bookstore that contributes 75% of each book's profit margin back to indie bookstores. You can find a complete list of the Book Club's General Fiction reads at https://bookshop.org/lists/once-upon-a-book-club-selections ( )
  Desiree_Reads | Jul 9, 2021 |
The Star -Crossed Sisters of Tuscany by Lori Nelson Spielman is a 2020 Berkley publication.

Family secrets, curses, lost and found love, romance and good food!!

The second daughters of the Fontana family are believed to be cursed- doomed to live a life without love. Emilia and her cousin Lucy, both second daughters, are invited to visit Italy by their Aunt Poppy, who has been disassociated with family for years.

Going against her grandmother’s wishes, Emilia, a straight-laced girl who lives a quiet, unadventurous life, decides to accept the invitation, hoping her aunt's promise of breaking the family curse is true.

Once in Italy, the girls discover their aunt’s health is fragile and that she is intent on meeting up with her one true love after decades of separation. As Poppy regales the girls with stories from her past, Emilia and Lucy explore the Italian culture and discover the truth themselves, their own past, and how to live life with gusto!

I found myself caught up in Poppy’s historical story, and less engaged with Emilia’s. Lucy’s role was underdeveloped and seemed tacked on as an afterthought. That aside, I really enjoyed this gentle story about breaking away from the limitations and expectations that bog down the full experience of life and love.

The Italian backdrop adds a beautiful air of culture, history and romance that took the story to a higher level. It was almost like taking a virtual trip, whisking me away on a lovely romantic adventure!

3.5 stars ( )
  gpangel | Mar 11, 2021 |
I liked this book more than I expected to. A multi-generational story about family, love, and superstition, this book kept me reading to see what would happen next. I also loved the portions set in Italy. ( )
  DrApple | Jan 25, 2021 |
I loved the last 100 pages. The rest was just meh. If you liked the movie Letters to Juliet, you'll probably like this book. ( )
  AngelClaw | Jan 17, 2021 |
This book will make you feel all the feels. Towards the end I was really unable to put it down. Generational family stories are always so compelling: full of secrets, sacrifice, love. This is a perfect combo of contemporary and historical fiction. You’ll want to take a trip to Italy and enjoy antipasto while reading this one! ( )
  julesbailey9 | Dec 23, 2020 |
For Dieter and Johanna
Many years ago, in Trespiano, Italy, Filomena Fontana, a plain, bitter girl whose younger sister was blessed with beauty, cursed all second-born Fontana daughters to a life without love.
"To me, love is like a lending library. To keep it, we must continually renew it. Otherwise we pay a hefty fine."
"It's fascinating, isn't it, how, when someone tells us something about ourselves---good or bad---we try so desperately to prove them right."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,674,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible