dismiss

Who Speaks for the Damned

by C. S. Harris

Recently added byprivate library, bookworminc, jacashjoh, drslm, kasey007, vernefan, TaleisinVP, kyurenka, Olivermagnus

This series rarely fails to provide an engaging mystery set alongside fascinating tidbits of life in Regency England and this installment is no exception. Lord Devlin finds himself investigating the murder of a man who most had thought to be long dead and searching London for the child the man left behind. While I always hope for progress about the mystery of Devlin's parentage and this novel offered little, it still made for a quick, highly enjoyable read. I doubt I'll ever tire of exploring Regency London with some of these characters. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jun 16, 2020 |
Who Speaks for the Damned - Harris-
Audio performance by Davina Porter
4 stars

This is the 15th book of a series that I continue to enjoy. This one takes place in 1814 during the Prince Regent’s celebration of Napoleon’s defeat. Sebastian St. Cyr’s ongoing quest for justice causes him to investigate the murder of Nicholas Hayes. Hayes was the third son of an aristocrat, convicted of murder, transported, and reported dead years before his actual death in a London tea garden. There are the usual layers upon layers of political and criminal intrigue. It was a good mystery. Sadly, it did not advance any of the dangling plot lines for several of the supporting characters from previous books. I guess that’s one way to keep a series going. ( )
  msjudy | May 18, 2020 |
Who Speaks for the Damned by C.S. Harris is a 2020 Berkley publication.

I can’t get enough of this series!

Nicholas Hayes, the third son of the Earl of Seaford was presumed dead after being convicted of murder and sent to Botany Bay. But, apparently, rumors of his demise were greatly exaggerated.

He returns to London, from China, with a young child in tow. Whatever his mission might have been, it must have been very important for him to have taken such a high risk. However, his enemies, who have had much to fear from Nicholas, may have snuffed out his life before he had a chance to exact his revenge.

A scandal, and the threat of long buried secrets coming to light is the last thing anyone wants as the royal families of Russia, Austria and Germany arrives in London to celebrate the defeat of Napolean.

Yet, Sabastian finds himself searching for Nicholas’s murderer, and for the missing child who accompanied him, thanks to his Valet, Jules Calhoun, who was a friend of the victim.

Sebastian’s involvement in criminal cases often puts him in danger, but his time, his beloved wife, Hero, winds up in the crossfire, infuriating Sebastian, making him more determined than ever to get unearth the truth and find the vulnerable child Nicholas brought with him from China.

Oh man, this was a good book!! A long -ago scandal that had been hushed up, lovers torn apart by power and greed, a child left alone to survive on the mean streets of London, and is riveting whodunit, is enough to make this story compelling.

However, the stunning revelations, and the social and historical lessons, round out this incredible multi-layered story. Not only that, the personal connotations for Sebastian, who can’t help but notice certain similarities between his life and that of Nicholas'- a sort of ‘there, but for the grace of God’ situation, which adds yet another layer of depth to the story. I couldn’t stop thinking about this book!

Is the best book in the series so far? I probably say that after every installment, but yes, this one is one the best, if not THE best!!

If you like historical mysteries, this is a series you will want to invest in. If you are a fan of the series, you want to grab a copy of this one ASAP! You won’t be disappointed! ( )
  gpangel | May 2, 2020 |
Napoleon has been defeated. In celebration the allied powers meet in London, for celebrations seemingly without end. The murder of a nobleman's disgraced son, might shatter already tenuous ties between France and England. Enter Simon St Cyr, a nobleman unlike many of the day, he has a conscience and a rigid sense of right and wrong. Although the danger to himself is great, he will not stop until he finds the murderer.

Without doubt, my favorite historical mystery series. The atmosphere is spot on and the lead characters have interesting back stories. The history of the time is authentic as the authors historical note makes clear. Such an interesting time in history, and reading about the politics of the day is also fascinating. A terrific series that I hope continues for a long time.

ARC from Netgalley. ( )
  Beamis12 | Apr 17, 2020 |
You know how some series fiction gets dull or repetitive after a while? I think this one keeps getting better. And each book works well as a stand-alone, so you can start right here at book #15.

C.S. Harris perfectly captures atmosphere and setting, transporting us to early 19th century London. All the nuances of time and place bring this story to life.

Sebastian is one of my favorite rebel characters. As he investigates a murder, he effortlessly shifts between the powerful upper class, the poor living on the streets, and known criminals. He treats everyone with the respect or scorn deserved, regardless of class. And I love Hero, Sebastian's wife, who is anything but the typical 19th century woman.

The plot's complexities and depth kept me on edge and thoroughly engaged.

In case it's not clear, I loved this book!

*I received a review copy from the publisher, via NetGalley.* ( )
  Darcia | Apr 13, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,184,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible