dismiss

Darkness for Light by Emma Viskic

Darkness for Light (edition 2019)

by Emma Viskic

Collections:Crime, Your library
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Australian Author, Crime

Darkness for Light (Caleb Zelic Book 3) by Emma Viskic

This must have been just a bit too noir for my tastes, but I just found it a bit of a slog.

I don't actually warm to the central character Caleb Zelic, nor to many of the central characters he works with.

There is a lot of background material where I feel I have missed out on the full story, and that was actually how I felt when I read the previous title in the series.

The rating I gave it reflects the way I felt about the book, but others readers may well rate it more highly ( )
  smik | Mar 31, 2020 |
thriller, crime-fiction, Australia, deafness, snarky, mystery, private-investigators, family-dynamics, friendship*****

Edgy protagonist and plot. Deaf since childhood and using aids, lipreading, and Auslan whenever possible, Caleb sometimes seems more like an antihero as he works to solve several problems while dealing with fools and sadists. The story is compelling, full of misdirection, twisty, and red herrings in a dark yet often amusing way. Never having read the author before, I wasn't sure what to expect. Now that I have, I will certainly read more.
I requested and received a free ebook copy from Steerforth Press via NetGalley. Thank you! ( )
  jetangen4571 | Mar 5, 2020 |
This is book #3 in a series featuring one of the most original MC’s you’ll come across. At first glance, Caleb Zelic seems like your average PI. But he has a special skill set. After a bout of childhood meningitis left him profoundly deaf, his other senses stepped up to fill the void. As a result, Caleb not only lip reads but notices what others miss. Gestures, expressions…all the little tics that give someone away. He never forgets a face & can repeat conversations verbatim. Unfortunately he has one other “gift”. The man is an absolute sh*t magnet & the tradition continues here.

He spent the last year dealing with dangerous thugs, the breakdown of his marriage & brutal betrayal by his former partner, Frankie. But Caleb’s a resilient guy & things are looking up. He landed his first solo job, he’s on more than speaking terms with his wife & regular therapy is helping get his head straight.

Well, it was nice while it lasted. He just found out his new client is slightly dead & the federal police are all over him. An old friend’s business is being sabotaged & a rogue cop is threatening him with blackmail. Then Frankie shows up.

Cue the ominous music. If you’ve read previous books, you know Frankie’s character is rarely associated with rainbows & puppies. More like bullets & blood. What started out as just a bad day suddenly has the potential to be craptastic.

Caleb is still reeling from their last encounter & wants nothing to do with her. But that’s before he meets her niece. Tilda is a funny, geeky little girl surrounded by domestic drama. When she winds up in Caleb’s care, they bond over weird facts & sign language. So when she is snatched, Caleb has no choice but to work with Frankie to bring her home. But who is behind the kidnapping & what do they want?

Good question. There’s a whack of bad guys to choose from. Money launderers, Frankie’s enemies, thugs trying to silence her mother….even the feds may see Tilda as a useful tool. All hell breaks loose as Caleb & Frankie race to find her against a backdrop of growing violence & an escalating body count.

What follows is a complex & chaotic story with a plot that keeps you guessing. Hidden connections & unreliable characters mean you never know who’s pulling the strings or telling the truth. It’s exactly the kind of investigation Caleb is trying to avoid as part of his resolution to “make good decisions”. The people involved are ruthless & not above targeting Caleb’s family to get what they want. There are ties to story lines from previous books & the reader finally gets some answers to long standing questions. Caleb’s personal life continues to develop & is nicely woven through the search for Tilda. Plenty of action & suspense keeps you reading but brace yourself…..there are some jaw droppers ahead & not everyone will survive.

As always, the author continues to provide a fascinating glimpse of what it’s like to be hearing impaired. From daily challenges to the little tricks Caleb employs, it’s clear she’s done her homework.
Sometimes when you meet a character beset with issues, it can seem like overkill. You end up thinking yeesh, give the guy a break. I never felt that here. Yes, Caleb has a lot on his plate but what saves this from descending into handwringing drama is the humour. Caleb’s dry wit provides some of the best lines that give the reader a chance to breathe between scarier moments. He’s a compelling character you root for & I’ll be keeping en eye out for his next adventure. Just maybe from a safe distance. ( )
  RowingRabbit | Feb 12, 2020 |
Darkness for Light is the third book in Emma Viskic’s outstanding crime fiction series featuring Caleb Zelic.

Following the tumultuous events of Resurrection Bay, and And Fire Came Down, security consultancy Caleb Zelic is attempting to make better decisions. With the help of a therapist he has begun reconnecting with the Deaf community, reconciling with his pregnant wife, and rebuilding his company after his partner’s betrayal.
Meeting a new client at an urban children’s farm might be unusual, but in need of the business Caleb isn’t suspicious of the arrangement until the moment he stumbles upon the man’s body. Caleb is prepared to make the right decision and walk away from the mess, but the dead man’s colleague, an AFP officer, refuses to let him. She needs to find Caleb’s ex-partner, Frankie, and she isn’t above using blackmail to ensure his cooperation. Caleb has no qualms about turning Frankie over to the agent, until her nine year old niece, Tilda, is violently abducted, and the only decision he can make is the one which will save the child’s life, for better or worse.

From the opening chapters, Darkness for Light sets a breathtaking pace of twists and turns. It’s not only the escalating violence that keeps you on the edge of your seat as the body count rises, but the complexity of the situation that Caleb finds himself struggling to unravel. Skilfully crafted, the main plot revolves around a hidden ledger that could expose the illegal financial machinations of Melbourne’s elite. There are several parties who will do anything to get their hands on it, and Caleb is caught in the middle with no one to trust. Viskic definitely kept me guessing.

Caleb is not just under pressure from the rogue AFP agent, Frankie’s reappearance, and Tilda’s kidnapping, Kat is nearing a critical point in her pregnancy, and Alberto Conti, a deaf restaurant owner who has become a friend, has asked for his help. All of this threatens to undo the progress Caleb has made in therapy to deal with his demons. Viskic’s character development with Caleb has been uniformly excellent in previous instalments, but I particularly admired how she handled his emotional conflict in Darkness for Light.

Darkness for Light is an exhilarating crime fiction novel, personally I’d recommend reading at least books one or two (though preferably both) before reading it, you’ll find the investment is worth it. ( )
  shelleyraec | Dec 9, 2019 |
4.75 Stars. It is no secret I am a huge fan of Emma Viskic’s Caleb Zelic Thriller series, having nothing but admiration for her taut, propulsive (and brave) writing style and the authenticity and grit of its characters. Read my reviews of Resurrection Bay (Book 1) and And Fire Came Down (Book 2).

I read Book 3 in a single day. I did not think it possible, but the narrative in Darkness for Light is even more taut and compelling than the novels that precede it. Emerging from the shadow of past violent and traumatic events, Caleb is on the precarious cusp of happiness. But trouble comes looking for him and he finds himself backed into a corner. The complex web of corruption Caleb must navigate and competing loyalties he must juggle, all while keeping his own demons in check, makes for edge-of-your-seat reading. Continue reading >> https://bookloverbookreviews.com/2019/12/darkness-for-light-caleb-zelic-3-by-emm... ( )
  BookloverBookReviews | Dec 4, 2019 |

Emma Viskic is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,752,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible