Great Goddesses: Life Lessons From Myths and…

Great Goddesses: Life Lessons From Myths and Monsters (edition 2019)

by Nikita Gill (Author)

Bestselling poet, writer, and Instagram sensation Nikita Gill returns with a collection of poetry and prose retelling the legends of the Goddesses, both great and small, in their own words. With lyrical prose and striking verse, beloved poet Nikita Gill (Fierce FairytalesWild Embers) uses the history of Ancient Greece and beyond to explore and share the stories of the mothers, warriors, creators, survivors, and destroyers who shook the world. In pieces that burn with empathy and admiration for these women, Gill unearths the power and glory of the very foundations of mythology and culture that have been too-often ignored or pushed aside.  Complete with beautiful hand-drawn illustrations, Gill's poetry and stories weave old and forgotten tales of might and love into an empowering collection for the modern woman.… (more)
Member:jen501
Title:Great Goddesses: Life Lessons From Myths and Monsters
Authors:Nikita Gill (Author)
Info:G.P. Putnam's Sons (2019), Edition: Illustrated, 256 pages

Work Information

Great Goddesses: Life Lessons From Myths and Monsters by Nikita Gill

“Every love does not have to be made of desire. Some loves are kept for the people who stand by you through everything. Some soulmates are sisters not lovers. Some loves are for those who give you hope. And some for the strength, for wisdom, for dreams.”

“Why be a half-finished poem in some forgotten poet’s story, when one can be an odyssey in and of herself, part magic, part villain, part Goddess, part lover.” ( )
  ninaleonidovna | Oct 2, 2022 |
Like a peek behind the veil of the celebrity personnas of Gods and Goddesses of Greek mythology. Would love to see these turned into a series of plays or a video series. ( )
  PlanCultivateCreate | Aug 8, 2022 |
Nikita Gill, poetess and author is one of my favorite books of poetry, Fierce Fairytales, doesn’t disappoint with her follow up, Great Goddesses: Life lessons from myths and monsters. I started this book last year, but life and commitments got in the way, and I was finally able to get back to it this week. Often the Universe speaks to us in mysterious ways, and this time is no exception. What I wasn’t ready to finish then, I sorely needed to immerse myself in now. Even though, as stated on the back cover, the book “portrays an ancient world transformed by modern feminist magic,” the stories and the Greek goddesses and gods that Nikita places within the realms of our modern world are contemporary and relatable. At a time when chaos seems to have taken over, it’s nice to go home to familiar stories retold. 5 stars ( )
  LoriFox | Oct 24, 2020 |
I enjoy retellings of mythology so I was looking forward to this. What sorts of life lessons could I get from Greek mythology? What is it in the modern era could these mythical figures tell us beyond the stories that we already don't know about?

Eh. Agree with a lot of the negative reviews. It's an interesting concept but the poetry doesn't work. I don't particularly care for poetry either but this wasn't great. Storywise it was interesting to see someone's take on these characters/figures and see what they might be like and make them more human but overall I think I would have liked it as a short story collection better.

It wasn't for me but it might be better for someone studying Greek mythology or just likes reinterpretations.

Bought it and wish I had borrowed it from the library instead. ( )
  HoldMyBook | Mar 5, 2020 |
''They murmur, in the beginning of everything;
from the bones of Chaos, rose a girl
who built the universe, the stars,
the planets, all because she was looking
for a place to dance.''
What if the Olympians were given the chance to narrate their lives and the demands of Fate? What if the gods and goddesses, the women of mythology, were able to share their view on the legends that shaped Western civilization? What if every great goddess were holding a mirror reflecting the issues and the challenges women are made to face daily? What if the deities have survived and are now walking amongst us, shaking their heads when they witness the mess we have created in this world?
Nikita Gill has given them a voice, presenting them to us in a new light, with respect and acute insight into the human nature that lies in each deity, each Greek myth.
I don't need to say more. The following extracts speak for themselves...
''Questions for the Daughters of Nyx
Apate, how do you bear it? The broken beat of betrayal coming from all the countless hearts you let your deceivers tear to shreds with their lies?
I remind myself that lies are often truth-shaped.
They're only containers you must turn inside out
and shake till the truth tumbles out, wide eyed and confused,
blinking in a light it never thought it would see.
Nemesis, does revenge ever tire you? Do the cries you craft with your scythe ever soften your heart?
I was born to bring justice.
Not to feel pity for those who felt nothing but glee
while building palaces
out of the tears born from their treachery.
Keres, do you ever wish for a life free of the violent deaths you feed upon from the battlefields to the cities?
Not while people still bring us bodies.
Not while there are still corrupt old men
sending unknowing boys to their deaths.
Not while the truth is a fire everyone sees
and no one puts out.''

''Hecate
Everyone thinks death is about endings, but it had always been her guide and teacher, her black hounds at her heel in every city she visited, cemetery after cemetery full of ghosts eager to meet her.
Does a heart that is rotted cease to be called a heart? Is a mortuary truly just full of flesh? Or is it simply waiting for you, Hecate, queen of paradox, of crossroads, to breathe it into second life again?''

''People think Achilles lived by my waters.
They are wrong. My waters are what ensured
that he would die. You too will meet me one day.
My name is Styx and I am hatred personified.''

My reviews can also be found on https://theopinionatedreaderblog.wordpress.com/ ( )
  AmaliaGavea | Dec 5, 2019 |
I lost a God once.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,390,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible