Reaper's Gale

by Steven Erikson

Series: Malazan Book of the Fallen (7), World of Malaz (Book of the Fallen 7), Malazan Chronology (13)

A clash of warriors draws closer as Rhulad Sengar, the Emperor of a Thousand Deaths, spirals into madness, surrounded by sycophants and agents of his Machiavellian chancellor. Against this backdrop, a band of fugitives seek a way out of the empire, but one of them, Fear Sengar, must find the soul of Scabandari Bloodeye. It is his hope that the soul might help halt the Tiste Edur, and so save his brother, the emperor.… (more)

English (36)  Slovak (1)  All languages (37)
Definitely one of the best endings so far, but it takes a while to get there. All of the Malazan books have a tendency to have long and arduous build ups, but this could be the worst contender yet, especially with Karsa's plotline. Either way, it's still a Malazan book, with all that entails. Epic scale, lotsa characters, huge mystery.

Raykoda3 | Sep 25, 2020 |
This took me a while. Not because it isn't good - it's great - but because it's Malazan. I burned out about 75% of the way in, not to pick it back up for 7 weeks. It was worth the wait, and had one of the best convergences of the books so far, with touching character moments, deaths by the wheelbarrow and some of the biggest displays of badassery thus far. Very good. Last in, Looking Around. ( )
  EdwardL95 | Jan 7, 2020 |

sigma16 | Dec 5, 2019 |

sigma16 | Dec 5, 2019 |
“Retribution seen in natural catastrophes is manufactured by all too eager
and all too pious people, each one convinced the world will end but spare them and them
alone. But we all know, the world is inherited by the obnoxious, not the righteous”

Oh, come on. Stop making me give four stars already. There is not much I can say about this book that I have not said about the previous six. The Story is wonderful, the characters are interesting and well characterized, even if sometimes there are a few characters too much for my taste. Especially the struggles of the emperor of the Edur were very well written, and I loved the part the malazan marines played.

Why no five stars? Again, I cannot really pin this down. It might be the writing style, it might be that the book sometimes gets so complicated that I no longer understand what is going on. I am still holding out hope that I will be able to give five stars at some point during the series, but this book is just not the one.

Malazan Series, it's me, not you. I love you, but I cannot commit to a serious five star relationship right now. I am sorry. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |

Steven Eriksonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lockwood, ToddCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Glen Cook
In a landscape torn with grief, the carcasses of six dragons lay strewn in a ragged row reaching a thousand or more paces across the plain, flesh split apart, broken bones jutting, jaws gaping and eyes brittle-dry.
"I care nothing about justifications, nor moral high ground. I have been a soldier too long to believe such things hold any sway over our actions. Whatever lies in our power to do, we do."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,366,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible