Bee Season: A Novel by Myla Goldberg

Bee Season: A Novel (edition 2001)

by Myla Goldberg

Nine-year-old Eliza Naumann is considered an unspectacular child -- until she surprises everyone by winning her school spelling bee. But just as Eliza begins to shine, her family starts falling apart.
Member:ansnowden13
Title:Bee Season: A Novel
Authors:Myla Goldberg
Info:Anchor (2001), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 275 pages
Rating:*****

Bee Season by Myla Goldberg

The Particular Sadness Of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both are novels about families dealing with issues and undergoing changes.
    The Accidental by Ali Smith (sharlene_w)

English (85)  Dutch (1)  All languages (86)
A portrait of one dysfunctional family. The author seemed to want to incorporate many different types of dysfunction into one story. From my perspective, I'm not sure it succeeds in the telling of all of them. The ending is abrupt but I was ready for the the novel to end. ( )
  FerneMysteryReader | Nov 16, 2017 |
Oh man! This book was absolutely fantastic!!!! There were parts of it where I thought Myla Goldberg was writing about my life. And you never could guess the book. Everything that happens in the book, stuff happens and you're like What? What the heck?!

Everything about this book was excellently executed. The characters were so individualized, so real. How can anyone not love Eliza? or Aaron?

I found myself cheering the kids on, knowing that the kids had found some stability in their lives. Spiritualism, spelling bees. And they both take a stand against a weird form of bullying. Their dad wasn't so much a bully as much as what he said goes even if it meant some weird form of abuse, mental?, of the kids.

The book is so strong. It's right up there with 13th Tale, Calamity Physics, thick story, thick characters. I thought about the characters when I wasn't reading the book. And when I read it I could barely tear myself away from it. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
Excellent many things converge at end — hidden life totally possible.

Eliza Naumann, a seemingly unremarkable nine-year-old, expects never to fit into her gifted family: her autodidact father, Saul, absorbed in his study of Jewish mysticism; her brother, Aaron, the vessel of his father's spiritual ambitions; and her brilliant but distant lawyer-mom, Miriam. But when Eliza sweeps her school and district spelling bees in quick succession, Saul takes it as a sign that she is destined for greatness. In this altered reality, Saul inducts her into his hallowed study and lavishes upon her the attention previously reserved for Aaron, who in his displacement embarks upon a lone quest for spiritual fulfillment. When Miriam's secret life triggers a familial explosion, it is Eliza who must order the chaos.
  christinejoseph | Jul 20, 2016 |
Brilliant, original, fascinating - and I thank my lucky stars I wasn't born into that family. I read it because the focus is about the daughter's unexpected prowess in spelling bees, but the book really revolves around the family and all their odd interactions. Not a cheerful or uplifting book, though it does encourage our faith in hope and in resiliency. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
2.5 stars

While the book is written beautifully, I have no idea what I'm supposed to get out of it. We leave the characters in an even sadder state than where we found them. The main character, Eliza, finds some purpose & clarity. But it doesn't really help us to know where she's going after the last page. There is too much unsettled at the end. ( )
  LauraCerone | May 26, 2016 |
Myla Goldberg's first novel, ''Bee Season,'' is a dispassionate, fervidly intelligent book -- she explores class, linguistics and religious extremism with the confidence of a born essayist -- that comes by its emotion honestly.

The world of letters is the true world of bliss.

-- ABRAHAM ABULAFIA (1240 - c. 1292)
Are you really proud of me?

-- REBECCA SEALFON, 1997 NATIONAL SPELLING BEE CHAMPION
For my family
At precisely 11 A.M. every teacher in every classroom at McKinley Elementary School tells their students to stand.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,311,409 books! | Top bar: Always visible