dismiss

The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James

The Sun Down Motel (edition 2020)

by Simone St. James (Author)

Upstate NY, 1982. Viv Delaney knows something isn't right at the Sun Down motel, where she works as a night clerk, and she's determined find out what. Upstate NY, 2017. Carly Kirk has always been fascinated by her aunt Viv who disappeared from the Sun Down before Carly was born. Using a small inheritance from when her mom dies, Carly leaves college to figure out what happened to her aunt thirty-five years ago. Soon, Carly is mirroring her aunt's life, working as the night clerk at the motel, where a haunting presence still lingers and a possible serial killer stalks the night desk.… (more)
Member:katelynreads
Title:The Sun Down Motel
Authors:Simone St. James (Author)
Info:Berkley (2020), 336 pages
Rating:***

The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James

Recommended by book lovers on Instagram. Pandemic read. ( )
  bookczuk | Jul 1, 2020 |
If you've known/followed me for long, you know that it's really hard to surprise me with a plot twist. Sadly, The Sun Down Motel didn't surprise me. However, the ride—though predictable—was so much fun that I didn't mind that I was miles ahead of the game.

The story has two main characters, in parallel lines taking place in 1982 (Viv) and 2017 (Carly). It's a weird mess of murder mystery and ghost/horror story. Viv (aunt) and Carly (niece) both work the graveyard shift at the front desk of a seedy motel in small town Fell, NY.

Character development and relationships spanning the twin story lines contributed to my enjoyment. ( )
  joyblue | Jun 28, 2020 |
This book is super creepy, engaging, and quick to read. The dual timelines are superbly executed to heighten the tension. I understood and rooted for both Viv & Carly-making this feel really effective overall. This is a genre I don't love reading, particularly with women victims, but I really enjoyed this & Blackjack's review was probably the main reason I was even the least bit curious. Most on my timeline really enjoyed so wasn't only her doing, she definitely had help, plus I really really love the cover. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
I have loved this author since I first read her book, [The Haunting of Maddy Clare]. This one was one exciting read! I enjoyed and found similarities between both the Viv and Carly's characters..who were aunt and niece....but 35 years apart. The book switched in each chapter from 1982 to 2017...and while I usually don't care for this transition...it was amazingly easy to follow. These women were both strong and determined and fearless in their shared quest to find out what was happening at this strange, out of the way, rundown, motel. The story was packed with mystery and suspense. If you have seen, or were ever a fan of the TV show "Stranger Things" you will like this book as it shares a similar format of bouncing into parallel universes causing Carly to experience the same events and situations as her Aunt Viv did 35 years prior. It's a ghost story... it's a mystery...it presents a crime to be solved and it's all wrapped up into one magnificent, spellbinding package! Another great one from Simone St. James. ( )
  Carol420 | Jun 23, 2020 |
The Sun Down Motel is the story of Carly and her aunt, Viv. Viv worked the night shift at the Sun Down and disappeared 35 years earlier without a trace. Carly, a true crime buff, leaves college to track down what happened to her aunt.
Like Viv, Carly experiences ghost sightings at the motel. These ghosts, she senses, are trying to tell her something. She tries to retrace her aunt’s steps, and to understand what happened in Fell, NY.
When Viv arrives in Fell, she is running from an home life. She has cut all ties to home, so no one really noticed when she went missing. Viv discovers that several girls/women died in Fell, and begins to investigate the murders. She tries to recruit Alma, a cop, and Marnie, a photographer, to help her. When Carly tries to ask them questions, they are extremely evasive about Viv.
The ghost stories were a bit creepy! The author did a good job keeping the suspense level high.
#TheSunDownMotel #SimoneStJames #Edelweiss ( )
  rmarcin | Jun 23, 2020 |
For the odd girls, the nerdy girls, and the murderinos. This one is yours.
The night it all ended, Vivian was alone.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,865,465 books! | Top bar: Always visible