I Buried a Witch: Bedknobs and Broomsticks 2…

I Buried a Witch: Bedknobs and Broomsticks 2 (edition 2019)

by Josh Lanyon (Author)

Member:Anne.Hoffman
Title:I Buried a Witch: Bedknobs and Broomsticks 2
Authors:Josh Lanyon (Author)
Info:Justjoshin Publishing, Inc. (2019), 234 pages

Work Information

I Buried a Witch by Josh Lanyon

[2.75] I’m glad the truth from book one came out into the open but I’m still really confused how Cosmo loves John so much?? John basically holds all the power in their relationship and keeps telling Cosmo what to do & what not to do, demanding obedience. Talk about a major turnoff ( )
  loqiton | Aug 1, 2021 |
Honeymoon over, Cosmo and John start married life together, but the peace is shattered when John learns that witches are real and he'd been under a spell. His distrust of Cosmo means he also distrusts any help Cosmo can give to catch a serial killer preying on craft and Wicca community.

Why I picked it up: "Mainly by Moonlight" left me interested enough to keep going. Kale Williams' performance is diverting, and I wanted something to listen to while finishing my sweater.

Why I finished it: I'm genuinely interested in whether John and Cosmo can stay together. Also: I like the cocktail recipes.

I'd give it to: I think @gnomespun might like this. ( )
  yarmando | Jan 24, 2021 |
I knew at the end of book #1 that Cosmo was not doing the right thing by not telling John what and who he really was…although John doesn’t appear to be the most forgiving or understanding sort. A great many of the characters are both good and bad except for Cosmo and John who are just trying to make their marriage work. Even the cat…who’s not really a cat…is pretty standoffish…yet the plots and the stories work together very well. That’s probably due to Josh Lanyon being such a good story teller. Actually this series would make a good movie or TV series. I hope book 3 is not the end for John and Cosmo and they can work out their differences. These books are filled with mystery & suspense with a little magic thrown in…just for good luck. ( )
  Carol420 | Sep 27, 2020 |
Say hello to the newest installment of the Bedknobs and Broomsticks series. These books are centered on Cosmo and John. Cosmo comes from a long line of powerful witches but he's chosen to try and live life as a mortal. He hasn't given up magic but tries to use it as little as possible. John is married to Cosmo (there's a story there you'll want to read in the first book) and he is the Police Commissioner.

In this book, I Buried A Witch, another murder has been committed and Cosmo believes it's linked to a previous murder... and also the magical community. The problem is that Cosmo's husband doesn't know he's a witch. And damn if secrets don't have a way to getting out when you really don't want them to.

These books are contemporary, paranormal mysteries. I think the author lists them as romance.... and not to be judgy but I think these have a bit more plot than the usual M/M romance! (I consider that a very good thing.) The interesting thing about this series is that it's got a significant amount in it about discrimination. Okay, so it's discrimination against Cosmo being a witch, but it's very relevant and timely. Cosmo has to hide the fact that he's a witch from people who are very important in his life. It's not something he can change, it's the way he was born. And yet, it's not accepted by everyone. At one point in the novel, Cosmo even compares being magical to being gay and says it's not something he has the ability to change, it's just a part of who he is. So really, as much as this book is a supernatural mystery... it's about the way we all want to be accepted for who we are!

Cosmo is definitely my favorite character. He's an absolute sweetheart in his own fumbling way. He really cares genuinely about people and that comes across very clearly in Lanyon's writing. Cosmo is on his own path... and is led by his heart. That's a really difficult road to follow, but I love this character for it. On the other hand, John is pragmatic and serious even though he has a slightly romantic side when it comes to his husband. I sense that there is much more going on in John's past than Landon has revealed yet, so I'm looking forward to more of his history in a future novel.

The crunch of the novel comes when Cosmo reveals to John that he's a witch. It's done without finesse and is poorly timed and has an immediate negative effect on their marriage. John is incensed by the fact that Cosmo kept something so important from him. Of course, it doesn't take John long to put two and two together and understand that Cosmo has the potential to influence his decisions. The thing is... in the first book, Landon revealed that magic didn't work on John... but it's unclear why. Does John have a secret history of his own? What's hurt him in the past so much that trust is difficult for him?

I like the structure of the magical world in this series. Although witches have a great deal of power and ability, they are almost aloof when it comes to mortals. To me, that seems an accurate way of depicting witches! Cosmo is different because he's interested in the mundane life of mortals and doesn't want to live the same life as his ancestors. But he sure is different from many of his kind! There is interesting interplay between the magical folk and the mortals. It will be interesting to see which direction Landon goes with it.

For a book of this genre, I Buried a Witch has some heavy-hitting themes. What if you have secrets in your relationship? Are you truly in love with someone if you don't know the core of who they are? Is honesty always the best policy? Is it ever possible to rebuild broken trust?

This is a really good series. My only criticism of this book was that it felt a little rushed to me. I'm definitely on board for whatever remains in this series! ( )
  KinzieThings | Jun 16, 2020 |
Cosmo and John are separated and magic is the one subject they absolutely cannot have a discussion about. But these recent murders are making Cosmo wonder about a magical connection and when John's sister might be a target they have to work together. I have to admit, I don't particularly like John, so this book was hard for me, but I definitely enjoy Cosmo and his world so I'll be back for more.
[I received this book free from NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review.] ( )
  tldegray | Jan 4, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

Double, double, toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.
William Shakespeare, Macbeth
To Felice, C.S., and S.C. -
When shall we three - er, four - meet again in thunder, lighting, or in rain?
SCENE I. A CAVERN. IN THE MIDDLE, A BOILING CAULDRON.

Something old, something new, something borrowed…something blacker than the darkest night.

Cosmo Saville adores his new husband, but his little white lies—and some very black magic—are about to bring his fairytale romance to an end. Someone is killing San Francisco's spellcasters—and the only person Cosmo can turn to—the man who so recently swore to love and cherish him—isn't taking his phone calls.

The only magic Police Commissioner John Joseph Galbraith believes in is true love. Discovering he’s married to a witch—a witch with something alarmingly like magical powers—is nearly as bad as discovering the man he loved tricked and deceived him. John shoulders the pain of betrayal and packs his bags. But when he learns Cosmo is in the crosshairs of a mysterious and murderous plot, he knows he must do everything in in his mortal power to protect him.

Till Death do them Part. With their relationship on the rocks, Cosmo and Commissioner Galbraith join forces to uncover the shadowy figure behind the deadly conspiracy…

Can the star-crossed couple bring down a killer before the dark threat extinguishes true love’s flame?

I Buried a Witch is the second book in the smart and sexy Bedknobs and Broomsticks romantic gay mystery trilogy. If you like endearing characters, spell-binding conflict, and spooky, good fun, then you’ll love Josh Lanyon’s tale of a blue knight and his slightly wicked witch.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,562,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible