All Fired Up (Road to Love) by Lori Foster

All Fired Up (Road to Love)

by Lori Foster

198825,336 (4.44)None
"Charlotte Parrish has always wanted a certain kind of man: someone responsible, settled, boring. Bad boys need not apply. But when her car leaves her stranded and a mysterious stranger with brooding eyes and a protective streak comes to her rescue, she can't deny how drawn she is to him. In town searching for family he's never met, Mitch is everything she never thought she wanted--and suddenly everything she craves. Finding his half brothers after all these years is more than Mitch Crews has allowed himself to wish for. Finding love never even crossed his mind...until he meets Charlotte. She's sweet, warmhearted, sexier than she knows--and too damn good for an ex-con like him. But when his past comes back to haunt him, putting Charlotte--and the family he's come to care for--in danger, Mitch isn't playing by the rules. He's already surrendered his heart, but now he'll risk his life" --… (more)

I don't read many romance novels and almost gave up on this one in Chapter 1 because of all the overt sexual innuendos but the reviews were good so I kept reading and am glad that I did. This was much more than a sappy romance - it was about family and loyalty and love and definitely worth reading.

This is the third book in the Road to Love series but it was fine to read as a stand alone because each book focuses on a different character in the family.

Mitch is an ex-con who has come to town to meet his half brothers who don't even know that he exists. He isn't sure what he is truly searching for but he knows it isn't love. Until he meets Charlotte - then all of his other plans aren't as important. He expects rejection from his half brothers and what he finds is acceptance and love. Can he expect the same from Charlotte once she finds out about his past? Will they be able to make a future together?

This book is full of suspense and family and lots of steamy romance. I think it's time for me to read more books by Lori Foster. ( )
  susan0316 | Dec 29, 2019 |
romantic, suspense, contemporary

Haven't read the others in the series, but this one is great even if a mite long. Still interesting from beginning to end with sleep and life in between, though. Enough other folks have summarized or done a recap, so I'll just add my praises! ( )
  jetangen4571 | Dec 8, 2019 |
All Fired Up is probably going to be my favourite of the Road to Love series, folks. Charlotte Parrish Brodie and Jack's surrogate baby sister finally gets her story this time around, and, contrary to her plans, she is getting a guy who is a lot like her 'brothers'. Mitch Crews (you read that right) is in Red Oak, Ohio to find his half-brothers, Brodie and Jack, and then figure out what comes next. But, oops, he slipped and fell for the really attractive blonde outside of Freddie's who was having car problems. Y'all know how I said Jack and Ronnie had a meet-cute, well, Mitch has a meet-cute. With his brothers who show up to help Charlotte with her car and find a random arsed dude already doing so and it's not until Ros pops in with a "you look a super familiar" does anybody do some addition. And it's hilarious enough to elicit a snortle out of yours truly in the line at Starbucks, it won't be the last time I embarrass myself there. I live there.
We have a full-on family reunion in this book, y'all and you will laugh and cry (I am an emotional hot mess) just like at any family reunion. Brodie, who I've just wanted to throw out a dang window of a train most of this series, finally shows himself to be funny and endearing. Don't know how it happened but there it is. Jack and Ronnie are the comedic duo we fell for in Slow Ride. And Momma Ros is our reigning queen and I pledge unending fealty to that woman. Also, can she adopt me? Rosalyn immediately adopts Mitch into the Crews family and bulldozes through Mitch's wariness like he's her blood-get and I love her so much for that. And she's Team Mitch-Charlotte from the first second. And for Mitch who doesn't really know what 'family love' feels like, it's all a bit overwhelming. Luckily, Charlotte is always right there for him, supporting him and letting him know "it's okay to be uncomfortable with all of it, they're weird, but you'll get used to them and love them as much as they love you".
Our baddie du jour for this book actually makes my skin crawl, Newman was Mitch's mom's scummy drug-dealer/live-in abusive boyfriend and he's after Mitch and "what he owes him". Massive eye roll there. Let's just let Ronnie have at him, because the guy is positively creepy. And narcissistic. And sinister. And Lori Foster writes this bad guy very well.
Did I mention that Mitch is a Crews through and through? Paws down. He's rescued a pupper too! He's a rough beginning and is a tad bit timid, but Howler and Charlotte are all about Brute the pit and helping him open up. And I will sob incoherently into my Ben and Jerry's dairy-free ice cream over this! Charlotte and Brute's bond is one of the reasons that Mitch decides that Charlotte is definitely his Forever Girl. Anyways, this book is totally puppy powered. I had to say it.
I want to put some content warnings in here for y’all. (this is covered with a spoiler button on my site) You know those really heart-wrenching ASPCA commercials that you end up crying about for an hour? We have a scene that didn't make it into the video because it's a bit graphic. There's an attempted prison rape. There's alcoholic content and mention of drugs and there is a bunch of violence (about moderate, nothing too diabolical).
Overall, I'm giving All Fired Up 4 stars and 3 flames. This book was funny and heartwarming. I know this one is probably the last in the series, but I truly wish there was another book to look forward to with the Crews family in it. Now! for the disclaimer! I received an ARC of All Fired Up from Harlequin in exchange for an honest review and I got to participate in my very first Harlequin blog tour. Do y'all know how exciting this was? I squee. But a free book does not influence my opinion or my review or my rating. So this review is all from my mind and heart and completely coffee-fueled. Thank you to Harlequin and to Justine for giving me this opportunity!

This has been a review from Once Upon a Time, I Read a Book (dot-com). If you enjoyed this review and want more of my weirdness, come visit me on my site! ( )
  OUATIReadABook | Dec 2, 2019 |
All Fired Up by Lori Foster
Road to Love #3

Family...something that Mitch has been missing all of his life. His mother more interested in drugs and the men who provided them. His father sometimes there but mostly away. More bad alone times and miserable situations than he wants to think about...well...family sounds like a good thing and he does have two half brothers that might fit the bill. So off he heads to see if he can connect with Brodie and Jack Crews hoping that he might find more than the nothing he has had so far.

Little did Mitch know that the damsel in distress he offered to help at the side of the road would eventually come to mean everything to him. Yes, Charlotte Parrish, sort of like an adopted sister to Brodie and Jack, is also smitten with her first glimpse of Mitch when he stops to help her.

Throw in a bad guy from Mitch’s past, a mother-figure in the form of his brothers’ mother, a trio of lovable canines and a rescue cat, glimpses of the characters in the first two books of the series, a romance that warmed the cockles of my heart and I have to say this was a superb story that made today wonderful.

What I liked:
* Mitch: battered by life but invincible, alone but not willing to remain so, knows what he wants, open, caring and kind – loved him.
* Charlotte: perhaps naive but definitely knows what she wants and what she wants is Mitch. She gives as good as she gets, is open, caring and kind and soothes Mitch’s soul.
* Ros & Elliot: What a dance these two have led over the years...loved seeing how they end up in this book.
* Brodie and Jack: their easy acceptance of Mitch into the family and the way they drew him in.
* The dogs...interesting and rescued by the men that saved them
* The writing, plot and the way the series was put together and flowed.

What I did not like:
* Mitch’s suffering as a child then the fall he took that was so undeserved
* Newman and his buddies – evil incarnate that deserved a fate worse than death
* The fact the book ended and I may never know what happens to the characters in the future.

Thank you to NetGalley, Harlequin Romance – HQN and the author for the ARC – This is my honest review.

5 Stars ( )
  CathyGeha | Nov 19, 2019 |
In All Fired Up, Mitch Crews had recently come into town to learn more about the family he had grown up hearing about but never been a part of – his family. Mitch’s dad had been in and out of his life during his childhood and worse was that Mitch’s very existence had been kept a secret from everyone in the Crews family. Mitch knew that revealing to his half-brothers that – surprise – they have a brother they never knew about was risky but he had nothing left to lose. He was an ex-con from the wrong side of the tracks and despite wanting to build a relationship with the brothers he never knew, he was all too used to life throwing him curves. He kept telling himself to squash the hope that anything good would come from this experience but he was secretly hopeful for something good.

One set of curves he never expected was those of Charlotte Parish. Mitch had first seen Charlotte when her vehicle’s tires had gone flat. While she was waiting for someone to help her, Mitch felt that she was in danger when she was approached by two drunk men and even though he hadn’t wanted to make his presence known in this town, he couldn’t let this woman get hurt. Little did he know that Charlotte could handle herself and that his act of chivalry would put him in a direct confrontation with the exact family members he was hoping to avoid running into just yet. As luck would have it not only had Charlotte snagged his immediate and exclusive interest but she was also deeply involved with his family. Nothing was going according to plan but somehow it was working out better than Mitch ever hoped for, which made him very suspicious. Let the games begin!

I wasn’t sure how I felt about Mitch at the start of All Fired Up. I thought he was a little lecherous at first because he was all in the shadows and thinking very naughty things about Charlotte, ha ha ha, BUT as it turns out he was a good and honorable man. It was just that Charlotte was a woman he couldn’t help himself around, she drew him in. I loved his character and I felt so much for him, especially because of his childhood. Charlotte was also spunky and even though she was a little awkward around Mitch at the start, she quickly calmed herself and what developed between her and Mitch was so sweet and swoony. The past that came back to haunt Mitch was pretty serious and almost brought the direst of consequences. I loved how Mitch’s family really pulled together to take care of their own. Loved the deep family connection feeling this story gave to me. It was such a powerful feeling. All Fired Up had me fired up from beginning to end and this is a story that I would definitely recommend.

This review is based on a complimentary book I received from NetGalley. It is an honest and voluntary review. The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating. ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Nov 17, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,624,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible