Flour in the Attic (A Bread Shop Mystery) by…

Flour in the Attic (A Bread Shop Mystery) (edition 2019)

by Winnie Archer (Author)

"Just as Ivy's brother Billy is about to get engaged to his beloved, a tragedy interrupts the happy moment. The body of longtime Santa Sofia resident Marisol Ruiz washes up on the beach--and it's even more heartbreaking since Marisol's father also recently died. But Marisol was a strong competitive swimmer. It seems unlikely there's even a grain of truth to the theory that she accidentally drowned. As Ivy gets to work helping her mentor, Olaya Solis, with the catering for Marisol's funeral, she also teams up with her partners in detection--because if they want to prevent someone from getting away with murder, there's no time for loafing"--… (more)
Member:Kris_Anderson
Title:Flour in the Attic (A Bread Shop Mystery)
Authors:Winnie Archer (Author)
Info:Kensington (2019), 304 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Winnie Archer, Bread Shop Mystery, cozy mystery, kensington books

Flour in the Attic (A Bread Shop Mystery) by Winnie Archer

Flour in the Attic by Winnie Archer takes us back to Santa Sofia, California. Ivy Culpepper is thrilled for her friend, Sheriff Emmaline Davis who is planning to propose to Ivy’s brother, Billy that evening at the beach. Unfortunately, Emmaline’s plans are put on hold when the body of Marisol Ruiz is found floating offshore. Marisol’s husband, David suspects foul play since Marisol was a competitive swimmer who swam in the ocean daily and asks that Ivy don her investigator cap once again. Can Ivy find out what happened to Marisol? Flour in the Attic is the fourth A Bread Shop Mystery. It can be read as a standalone for those new to A Bread Shop Mystery series. Ivy is setting up her photography business as well as spending time at Yeast of Eden. I like the diverse cast of characters in this series with Olaya Solis being my favorite. Miguel Baptista and his family are so friendly and accepting. The story is well-written, but I did find the pacing to be a little slow. I wish it had been peppier. The mystery was a little dark (for a cozy), but it was well-done. Ivy actively searches for answers. There are several suspects in Marisol’s death, and I liked the subtle clues. It will depend on your sleuthing level on whether you find this whodunit a challenge to solve. I admit that I had trouble reading Flour in the Attic. I never became engrossed in the book. It did not have the same spark that I enjoyed in Kneaded to Death. There is some foul language which is unusual for a cozy mystery. I like that Emmaline Davis, the town’s sheriff, is proposing to Billy, Ivy’s brother. I look forward to their nuptials. There is a cliffhanger at the end, and we will have to wait for the next A Bread Shop Mystery to see how it plays out. Flour in the Attic is curious cozy mystery with squabbling siblings, a postponed proposal, a marine murder, and an indomitable investigator. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Dec 8, 2019 |
Ivy is so excited because her BFF, Emmaline, has finally decided that she's not waiting for Ivy's brother to pop the question, she's going to ask him! Plans are made for a romantic picnic on the beach, but plans go awry when a body washes ashore. Since Emmaline is also the chief of police, she needs to handle the situation. The body turns out to be the waitress, Marisol Ruiz, from the restaurant that Ivy's beau owns, making it a family affair to handle. Marisol was a strong swimmer, a triathlete, so how could she drown?

Ivy tries to help Emmaline and the family come to grips with the tragedy but was it an accident or is something more sinister afoot?

I love this series, I look forward to every new installment. This was the best, but then they just seem to keep getting better and better as the characters become more like friends. ( )
  cyderry | Oct 2, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,586,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible