Dangerous Games to Play in the Dark: (Adult…

Dangerous Games to Play in the Dark: (Adult Night Games, Midnight Games,… (edition 2019)

by Lucia Peters (Author)

Member:amyblue
Title:Dangerous Games to Play in the Dark: (Adult Night Games, Midnight Games, Sleepover Activities, Magic & Illusions Books)
Authors:Lucia Peters (Author)
Info:Chronicle Books (2019), 200 pages
Tags:read in 2019

Dangerous Games to Play in the Dark by Lucia Peters

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was fantastic! It's collection of occult/supernatural party games (think: Bloody Mary, Light as a Feather Stiff as a Board) collected from folklore. Super scary and fun!
  amyblue | Nov 8, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
'Dangerous Games to Play in the Dark" is a bone chilling adult party game. Most games are based on Japanese folklore and offer a new way to scare the daylights out of you and your party guests.

This book is quite small in size but that makes it extremely easy to take the book to friends' homes or to store in a game cabinet. It offers a sinister black cover and red sprayed edges. The physical book is gorgeous.

Upon reading many of the "games" I realized that I was much too squeamish to actually attempt any of the games myself. There are games for 1 person and other games for groups. As I cannot picture myself using this book I think that I will gift it to a friend who is interested in the paranormal. ( )
  YvonneBringle | Nov 7, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is an excellent book in both design and content. The look of the hardcover (including the small etchings) help add to an air of mystery/arcane sensations that the games inside are supposed to convey.

The games themselves are pretty well described and I appreciate their mix of modern and older games. The international ones are also a nice touch. By not breaking every game down entirely, but leaving in prose that would have you guessing if it DID have a supernatural element is a great way to fuel some readers' interest in the occult folklore behind the games. It's a very fun book for those of an age to still have friends over and try these sorts of things out.

One aspect I really enjoyed, but wish there was more of, are the introductions to the games that give a taste of the history behind them. While it might ruin the illusion, I'd like a book now that dives deeply into the history behind these games. That's not the point of this book, however, so I won't knock any stars off.

While I appreciate the need nowadays for the warning at the start of the book on the obvious dangers of games involving burning candles or sharp objects, it deflates a bit of the fun to assume someone of an age to read this book doesn't have enough common sense not to endanger themselves. That idea might be scarier than anything contained herein. ( )
  derek.stuhan | Nov 3, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love the design of this book, a collection of over a dozen "dangerous " games guaranteed to creep you out. Some of them are old classics like "Light as a Feather Stiff as a Board" and "Bloody Mary", some are of more recent vintage and have made the rounds on the internet, a number are from other countries. The rules for the games make thema ll sound very dire and dangerous indeed. Recommended for those interested in folklore and creeping themselves out.
  casamoomba | Oct 30, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a fun book of "games" that, even laying aside the question of whether or not evil spirits are real, I wouldn't recommend trying. Many of these games are physically dangerous and some cane pose a major fire hazard (or other types of hazard). Luckily the book has warnings about this, except for what is potentially the most dangerous game, "The Fortune Game," which involves putting on a mask and hanging around a crossroads at night to ask passing strangers to tell your fortune and seems like a good way to get robbed or murdered.

That said, I doubt I would be willing to try any of these games as I am a coward and most of them sound terrifying. It does make for a nice, spooky read for the Halloween season, and even if you aren't going to play these games, they're fun to read about. I suspect that the less dangerous games would be great fun for children at a sleepover and the more dangerous games would be fun for teens and young adults hanging out with their friends at night. ( )
  yoyogod | Oct 26, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

's book Dangerous Games to Play in the Dark is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,618,617 books! | Top bar: Always visible