Beautiful in His Sight: a novel

by April W Gardner

542,981,751 (4.25)None
It's 1917, and Halifax is at war. Silas Quinn, street sweeper and army reject, remains on the home front, shunning God and society as religiously as they shun him. But the night he stumbles across a half-frozen prostitute, his eyes blink open, and his greater purpose is born: preserve and protect.There'd been a day when shop girl Helen Fraser was desperate enough to believe a few nights in a brothel would cure her troubles. By some miracle, Major Jack Gordon deemed her worth saving, but Helen knows her meticulously recreated identity cannot last. What she doesn't expect is for its destruction to come about, not by an old john or one of the madam's goons, but by a force great enough to flatten a city and bury her alive.Set against the backdrop of the Halifax Explosion, Beautiful in His Sight is a Christian historical romance that explores unequivocal grace and identity in Christ.… (more)

What I think you should know:
Beautiful In His Sight is a historical fiction novel that is based around the true life events that occurred during 1917 in Halifax, Nova Scotia when a ship exploded, whipping out part of the town and killing over 2,000 people. The first chapter gives you a glimpse of the story, only to whisk you back in time two months bring the backstory to life.

What you might want to know:
Helen of Slumdum is no more after being rescued and being given the opportunity to start her life over by Major Jack Gordon, however she is still haunted mentally and physically by her time in a brothel.

What I enjoyed most about this book:
Silas Quinn, a survivor of the Titanic needs to learn to forgive himself, he is such a great character and may be my favorite in the book. Silas is used to show now matter how insignificant your job is you have value for being yourself. I really enjoyed the way that April W. Gardner , the author wove the story filled with spies, possible German traitors, and mysteries, she kept me intrigued and guessing until the end of the story.

Who will enjoy this book ( just to name a few):
Fans of Historical Fiction
Fans of Suspense

I received a complimentary copy for this book from Celebrate Lit, this in no way influenced my review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  DonnaC83 | Sep 21, 2019 |
This has been an emotional journey with characters that will never be forgotten. Helen is a wonderful character who has had a hard life. Her life seemed to be over until someone finds her laying on the ground with life threatening injuries. The compassion Silas shows Helen is far beyond what I could imagine. His willingness to help her was heartfelt and I feel that he had taken on a task only God could have ordained.

The history that the author gives us was very intriguing. It made the story more realistic and I learned things about a war I never knew. The explosion that wipes out everything in its path was hard to read. I loved how Silas never gave up finding Helen and their time together is well written. I really enjoyed reading that Silas had been a survivor of the Titanic. He does go through a lot in the story which gives a lesson on perseverance. His determination was overwhelming and I loved seeing this man become someone who finally believed in himself.

Helen has a lot going for her as well. Being in the explosion has changed her life forever. her injuries were serious and I liked how the author used it to grow her spiritually. The story is filled with faith and encouragement. The story brings us forgiveness, redemption and healing.

I received a copy of this book from Celebrate Lit. The review is my own opinion. ( )
  Harley0326 | Sep 21, 2019 |
This book has some very good characters. I think this was one of the first books I ever read about Halifax during this part of the war. I enjoyed the romance and the spying. This made me laugh and cry. I felt it was a little long but it did keep my interest for most of the story. There were some very interesting characters. I received a copy of this book from Celebratelit for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Sep 19, 2019 |
It’s always interesting to learn more about history through a story that ‘fleshes’ out that history. I do not remember learning about the catastrophic explosion on December 6th, 1917 in the Halifax, Nova Scotia harbor. The devastation and loss of life made this maritime disaster the largest man-made explosion of the pre-atomic age. The Mont Blanc was fully loaded with munitions for the war in Europe when it was struck by another ship causing first a fire and then an explosion that leveled a large portion of the city. Curious bystanders were either immediately killed or suffered grievous injuries, many of them causing blindness due to the glass being shattered.

Our heroine, Helen, finds herself in just such a situation. The windows have blown in, the ceiling is collapsing and unable to see, she wonders if she will even survive. In all this experience, she learns that the light needs to come from the inside through a God that loves her just as she is! Will she accept His forgiveness and believe that she is worthy to be loved?

Silas Quinn has already survived one disaster, the sinking of the Titanic. At that time he felt that God was not finished with him yet. Will he some out of this one unscathed?

This book is long, with a great deal of detail. Besides the explosion, there is also prejudice, treason and physical abuse to keep the reader wondering if this could possibly end well.

I received an ARC of this book through CelebrateLit. The comments and impressions are my own. ( )
  Eamace | Sep 4, 2019 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,779,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible