Helix (An International Sensory Assassin…

Helix (An International Sensory Assassin Network Novel Book 2)

by Mary Ting

641,903,375 (4.67)None

So this is the second book in the series and this starts where the last left off with Ava exchanging herself for Ollie and back within the walls of ISAN.
One of the first things that struck me here was we get to experience the story this time from both Ava and Rhetts POV which I much prefered.
I was able to get much more of an idea of Rhett's character and it was apparent instantly just how much he cares about Ava and how her decision to return and place herself in danger is affecting him.
I was a tad worried initially about the inclusion of Cleo and whether she was going to be a snake because of her unrequited feelings for Rhett but thankfully that wasn't the case and I even ended up feeling a little sorry for her.
I also thought Ava's plan or even non-plan to save her sister and father was a tad optimistic and considering they were actually virtual strangers to her she should be more inclined to concentrate on those she already loves and cares about more than some non-entities she just happens to share a biological connection with.
She was constantly placing herself in danger for others with zero regards to her own personal safety and despite her best intentions, she was not always that logical and I thought her goals came about more from sheer blind luck than any major planning on her part.
Despite that, she means well and this time around we get a slightly colder and harder Ava, her eyes are now fully open.
We get various glimpses into a shared past between Ava and Rhett which also helped me get a feel for there overall dynamic and I could definitely feel the connection between them.
This was well written and genre-wise this was a YA Sci-Fi/Dystopian and it worked very well.
It was fast-paced and a real page-turner that I really enjoyed.
I thought the ending here was great it closed a chapter so I felt satisfied but the story itself is still ongoing.
There's a slight question mark over the identity of Ava's twin but nothing I can't live with until the grand reveal in the next instalment.
Happy to recommend this one it was a fab read.
I voluntary reviewed a copy of Helix.

Reviewed By Beckie Bookworm
www.beckiebookworm.com ( )
  carpathian1974 | Nov 7, 2019 |

It was fast-paced and a real page-turner that I really enjoyed.
Happy to recommend this one it was a fab read.
I voluntary reviewed a copy of Helix.

Reviewed By Beckie Bookworm
www.beckiebookworm.com ( )
  carpathian1974 | Nov 7, 2019 |
Matrix meets Alias/James Bond. Mary Ting’s Helix (International Sensory Assassin Network #2) takes place following book one, ISAN. Ava is starting to remember the past. She returns to ISAN in an attempt to find her father and twin sister. This science fiction dystopia novel is suitable for young adults.

Mary Ting continues to do an amazing job with this series. Helix was told from both Ava’s and Rhett’s point of view. I enjoyed both perspectives. The story reminds me of a combination of the Matrix, the ABC television series Alias, and James Bond. The Matrix from the dystopia everything is not what it really seems standpoint, Alias from the female spy not knowing who to trust stance, and James Bond for the cool gadgets.

I enjoyed discovering more of the history in this novel. I liked that the story flashed back and forth in time. Some new characters are introduced. There are only a few people that Ava feels she can trust. The novel is filled with action, espionage, loyalty, and deceit.

Make sure to read book one, ISAN before this book. Helix ended with a cliff hanger. I’m looking forward to finding out what happens in book three. I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book. ( )
  dlynch | Sep 24, 2019 |
This is one of those reads, which hits in high gear and doesn't let go until the last page...and not even then.

I did read the first book in this series and highly recommend reading it as a series, since each book starts where the last left off.

While book one set the stage, this book takes intrigue and danger head on. There's so many secrets, and with every answer which comes, even more questions come to light. Every scene and moment left me wondering what was about to happen next. In other words, it's a very hard book to put down. There also more to discover about the characters, keeping the needed depth to make the characters interesting and easy to fever for. And there is a lot to fever for. Tension sits around every bend.

The world is vivid, well described and holds enough sense to make it come to life. There's enough logic to guarantee that no stumbles occur, and the story flows all the way through. Add in a bit of romance, and it's a great mix. The ending does hit with a huge cliff-hanger (something I'm always a bit torn over), but it does promise a great adventure in the next book, too.

I received a complimentary copy and enjoyed every moment of the tale. So, I'm leaving my honest thoughts. ( )
  tdrecker | Sep 10, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Mary Ting's book HELIX (International Sensory Assassin Network, book 2) is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,560,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible