A Cowboy Like You (Heart of Texas)

by Donna Grant

219860,585 (3.71)1

I would love to say I loved this book but I can't but it's not because the book is horrible it's more my personal reaction to some events in the book.

Sheriff Danny Oldman has held a torch for Skylar Long since high school. She was the typical small town girl just dying to graduate and get the hell out of dodge. The big city was calling her name. Danny wasn't the type so he settled for her friendship and stayed in their small hometown. Taking care of it's residents just like normal.

A chance encounter at a rest stop of all places brings Skylar crashing back into Danny's world. She's in trouble and needs some serious help. He's still in love with her. Now can they overcome the bad luck fate dealt her and move on from "just friends" or will it be too much for either of them. Well this is a Donna Grant book so you know the answer to that....duh.

The community rallies around Danny and Skylar. But the ex.....he's a grade A A**hole! You will learn to despise him fairly quickly. ( )
  ChachaJ | Feb 1, 2021 |
I have been looking forward to Sheriff Danny Oldman’s story in the Heart of Texas Series since the end of My favorite Cowboy and Donna Grant does not disappoint. This hard working, loyal, kind hearted man has his hands full when his former high school crush, Skylar Long, returns unexpectedly bringing trouble in the form of an obsessive ex-boyfriend with her. A page turner full of drama, suspense, a villainous ex, and a second chance at love. Of course, the West’s and Harper’s are there to lend a hand, giving you another glimpse into an extended family that is willing to do anything for friends they consider family. ( )
  SuProv | Jul 18, 2020 |
I'm the type of person that has to read all the books in a series in order or I'm not happy. However this book could be read as a stand alone, the connections between characters is lightly explained. I really enjoyed this book, read it in one day I just couldn't leave it alone. Danny is the type of man that just helps everyone. When he helps his high school crush Skylar the sparks fly. I hope the series continues, there are so many men that need a HEA!

This review is based on an ARC from NetGalley, courtesy of the publisher. All opinions are my own. ( )
  Caelijean | Apr 21, 2020 |
A Cowboy Like You is the most recent book in the Heart of Texas series and I have been having such a fun time with these books and this whole world this author has created. I have to say I am highly impressed with seeing how she handles contemporary westerns with a blend of suspense thrown in. She definitely has done such a superb job in transferring from genre to genre. And as someone who adores western romantic suspense, I can’t recommend this author enough.

Our story begins with our heroine, who is in danger. Skylar is shocked that her live in boyfriend, a man she thought owned her heart, is not the man she believed him to be. Matt turned out to be abusive and controlling and highly manipulative. And now she had thought she had found freedom but then he caught her again but then the sheriff of the county where she is attacked, comes onto the situation and saves her and takes her to a safe haven….now he takes her to his family’s ranch which is built like a fortress. Skylar is realizing that she needs to stand against Matt and his powerful family. But as she is working to rebuilding her life, she finds something unexpected in Danny’s embrace….a love worth fighting for

A Cowboy Like You was such a fun and intense book which shouldn’t surprise me as its Donna Grant writing this. But the more I have read from this series the more I am falling in love with this ranch and this family who runs in. I just love how they come together and are so supportive of each other. Its such fun to see these two connect and find their way out of this tense filled situation. I really liked how this author implemented the villain’s POV throughout the book, it allows us to see his motives and his actions to getting his revenge against Skylar. It also portrayed how wealth has power in many ways but that truth and justice can win against everything. I really respected seeing the various elements that this author placed into the story.

The romance that builds between Danny and Skylar but they have history. This is an unrequited love story. Danny and Skylar knew each other in high school. But Danny was never brave enough to approach her and both held a connection without even realizing it. Now they have found each other and their chemistry is highly explosive as is the danger they are in. For appearances, they have to hide what they feel for each other so that Skylar’s ex doesn’t realize the truth. I loved seeing the sexual tension build between them as they find their way secretly.

Overall I found A Cowboy Like You to be a western gem that embodies the bold and daring of the west with the thrills to embrace within it. ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 9, 2020 |
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advance copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

A Cowboy Like You, by Donna Grant, is available at booksellers 11-26-19. As book 4 in the Heart of Texas series, Cowboy in some ways works as a standalone but I think reading the first 3 would give the reader more insight into the dynamics of the characters. The tidbits mentioned of other characters hinted at more backstory but didn't satisfy completely. I understand it's a fine line to walk, not getting too involved in secondary characters, but it didn't hit the mark.

Skylar Long is running from her abusive boyfriend. This time she almost got away. He tracks her like a big game hunter, he's awful. He fooled her for a long time before he let the crazy show. She also didn't bother to look past the surface, didn't ask questions I would have right away. For some reason she had started driving towards her old hometown & got lucky that the sheriff was around when Matt caught up to her. Turns out she went to school with the sheriff & he goes way above & beyond to help her. She got lucky, he's got an amazing group of friends to help keep Skylar safe while things work out. She becomes too trusting too fast for me to believe. After everything she's been through why isn't she more closed off & wary?

Sheriff Danny Oldman is a workaholic. Married to his job he hasn't had a date or relationship of any kind in years. It's a little hard to believe, not even the waitress at the diner? Anyone? He's given up. Skylar turns out to be his school crush, the one he never got over. It's too pat that they fall into a relationship right away, they knew immediately kind of thing.

I liked the characters, want to go back to book 1 and find out more about this tight group of friends. I want to know how it came to be. The story has plenty of drama, action, timely topic, lust, & romance. It just all happens too fast.

#DonnaGrant #Netgalley #ACowboyLikeYou #HeartOfTexas #StMartin'sPaperbacks ( )
  FDarlene491 | Nov 28, 2019 |

Donna Grant is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,222,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible