The Return

by Rachel Harrison

Fiction. Horror. Literature. HTML:A group of friends reunite after one of them has returned from a mysterious two-year disappearance in this edgy and haunting debut.
Julie is missing, and no one believes she will ever return—except Elise. Elise knows Julie better than anyone, and feels it in her bones that her best friend is out there and that one day Julie will come back. She’s right. Two years to the day that Julie went missing, she reappears with no memory of where she’s been or what happened to her.
Along with Molly and Mae, their two close friends from college, the women decide to reunite at a remote inn. But the second Elise sees Julie, she knows something is wrong—she’s emaciated, with sallow skin and odd appetites. And as the weekend unfurls, it becomes impossible to deny that the Julie who vanished two years ago is not the same Julie who came back. But then who—or what—is she?
… (more)

This book had me intrigued as to what the heck happened to the friend. Like all books of Rachel Harrison, it always goes a little weird! I definitely enjoyed the whole book more than I enjoyed the ending. I just felt like the ending didn't explain much. Like were the monsters that changed Julie the ones that followed her to the hotel and made weird things happen at the hotel? I feel like I missed something in the end, and I was listening to the audio book, so maybe I did. But after some quick Google searching, I don't think I did. It's a story about four friends and growing apart and wanting to be seen and grief and acceptance. Overall, I'm glad I listened but maybe wasn't my favorite book of all time. ( )
  Mav-n-Libby | May 13, 2024 |
*cricket cricket* this was OKAY. honestly i think it had too many words at some points.. the chapters were soooooooo long and they could've been shortened to keep the plot moving along. but at the same time i LOVED the way Rachel Harrison writes. i just think she can use less words. she is incredibly talented and i will read more by her despite not loving this one. the story and plot did grip me. i was just looking for more of a believable mystery at the end ( )
  Ellen-Simon | Apr 26, 2024 |
A quick horror about a girls trip gone wrong. im here for it. ( )
  HauntedTaco13 | Dec 29, 2023 |
Desperate Housewives crossed with The Shining!
For a debut novel this is outstanding, a mix of thriller and horror that works perfectly.
I loved the book but the audiobook version of this is on another level. There is something about having this read to you, especially at night, tucked up in bed in the dark, it enhanced the creepiness tenfold.
I have now added Rachel Harrison to my list of authors to look out for because of her next books are this good then she will become queen of the thriller/horror genre she’s created! ( )
  DebTat2 | Oct 13, 2023 |
I enjoyed this book. It went in a direction that I wasn't even expecting. ( )
  LinBee83 | Aug 23, 2023 |
For Grandpa, Babi, Nanny, and Pop Pop. Sorry about the bad words!
"What do you mean she's missing?"

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,298,648 books! | Top bar: Always visible