Wow, No Thank You.: Essays by Samantha Irby

Wow, No Thank You.: Essays (edition 2020)

by Samantha Irby (Author)

1411,046,340 (4.25)None
Member:BookshelfMonstrosity
Title:Wow, No Thank You.: Essays
Authors:Samantha Irby (Author)
Info:Vintage (2020), 336 pages
Tags:essays, nonfiction, humor

Wow, No Thank You.: Essays by Samantha Irby

I read this book as an electronic advance reading copy provided by Edelweiss, and I have submitted my review to the publisher via that web site.

The author keeps improving over time; this book is even better than its predecessors! She delves further into the topics she has discussed in her previous books and on her blog: living with a chronic illness; being Black and fat; growing up poor and essentially without parents. As usual she writes about these heavy subjects with amazing humor. In this book she also talks about growing older, moving to a small town setting, and having an unexpected (and sometimes uncomfortable) amount of success. And it is all funny as fuck! Highly recommended.

Favorite lines (of many!):

"...can't we admit that your laptop is little more than a giant, foldable phone?"

"When is the last time an actual human interaction made you laugh more than a meme did?"

"...I was really into grunge especially because it seemed accessible to me, a person on welfare, because the whole premise was that you could dress like a grandpa who looks like shit and everyone would think you were cool and 'alternative' instead of just dirty."

"I'm an expert in going to the doctor, man. The only thing they ever want to hear from me is 'I've lost weight' or "Do you think you could tell me how to lose weight?'"

"...my blood type is pizza..."

"I didn't take home economics in high school. I took gender studies and shaved my head and started spelling women with a y."

"...unintentional racism, or latent racism, or hipster racism, or whatever you'd call 'wow, I can't believe someone like you really read that new Ann Patchett novel' racism..."

"Sometimes I think to myself, 'What do I miss about my old life?' And you know what? It's not hot dates or anonymous doggy-style sex. It's refined carbohydrates. It's mouth sex with a cookie I didn't have to bake."

"Maybe there are fat people sitting around silently weeping about being fat every minute of every day, but that is a redemptive arc thin people like to see on television, and it's just not the fucking truth."

"Leading people on is a hate crime. Especially when you could just say what you want and let them decide whether or not they want to give it to you without getting their romantic feelings involved."

"My OkCupid handle back then was 'FARTTHROB'... I posted real pictures of my actual torso and answered the prompts in full paragraphs that I'd workshopped with all my coworkers." ( )
  librarianarpita | Dec 27, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,626,773 books! | Top bar: Always visible