Masked Prey

by John Sandford

Series: Lucas Davenport (30)

U.S. Marshal Lucas Davenport is asked by his Washington Senatorial buddies to find the party behind an alt-right website that appears to threaten the children of key D.C. politicians. The website is found by a friend of one of the children, who is working to become a social media darling, when searching for her images online. The amateurish website is filled with clip and paste articles from neo-Nazi, White Supremacist, and other hate groups, and seems to catch the interest of lone wolves. Davenport uses his wily skills to solve the mystery of the website's origins by approaching organizations opposed to the deep state, using an unlikely ally, and then shifts gears to stop a misguided devotee from following through with the website's supposed intent.

Unlike many other GR reviewers, I could care less about John Sandford expressing political views, but I object to the wholesale changeover in Davenport's character from a legendary law and order man to the stone-cold assassin that he has become in the last few books. A damn shame really. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
The Lucas Davenport character has been evolving from a hard-charging law-enforcement professional into an assassin with a badge. That transition comes to fruition in “Masked Prey,” the thirtieth novel in the “Prey” series.

The daughter of a U. S. Senator discovers a site on the dark web that houses photos of the children of several elected officials. No text or overt threat accompanies the photos, but the mere existence of the site is ominous. When the FBI is unable to find out who posted the site and their intentions, Lucas Davenport is called in to investigate.

Davenport’s move from the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension to the U. S. Marshall’s Service eliminated the social context that constrained Davenport’s sociopathic tendencies. Gone are story elements portraying Davenport in the context of his family. Gone are the colorful BCA sidekicks in Minnesota. Bob and Rea, his sidekicks in the Marshall’s service, make only cameo appearances. In this book, Davenport is a lone wolf, and at the conclusion, he describes himself as a “hunter.” The description is apt since the primary goal of a hunter is to kill.

“Masked Prey” is a workman-like but uninspired offering. The process Davenport follows to identify the killer is mildly interesting. Aside from that, the book lacks anything that would raise it out of the ordinary. Readers who like the Davenport character or Sandford’s writing will probably find “Mask Prey” to be worth reading but disappointing. Those who are not already a fan are unlikely to have a strong desire to read further Davenport offerings. ( )
  Tatoosh | Jul 1, 2021 |
This is the first of the Prey series I did not finish. I was not interested in the political aspect of this book nor did the story keep my attention. ( )
  lewilliams | May 27, 2021 |
I guess white supremacist NAZIs are what the people want to read these days. You can hardly pick up a mystery/suspense/thriller without it. I was confused for about 1/4 of the book thinking Sanford must be talking about Antifa. Bad timing to come out now when BLM and Antifa are burning down and taking over parts of cities. Even the humor was flat. The book is readable but it's the first Prey book I wasn't glued to until it was done. Hopefully, Connelly's new one is better. ( )
  swampwampagus | Apr 14, 2021 |
Fun thriller Lucas style. I miss local politics and wish he was back in Minnesota.

What's with the fart jokes? ( )
  xKayx | Dec 14, 2020 |

John Sandfordprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ferrone, RichardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,287,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible