Letters from an Astrophysicist by Neil…

Letters from an Astrophysicist (2019)

by Neil deGrasse Tyson (Author)

Tyson shares 101 letters from people across the globe who have sought him out in search of scientific answers.A luminous companion to the phenomenal bestseller Astrophysics for People in a Hurry. Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson has attracted one of the world's largest online followings with his fascinating, widely accessible insights into science and our universe. Now, Tyson invites us to go behind the scenes of his public fame by revealing his correspondence with people across the globe who have sought him out in search of answers. In this hand-picked collection of 101 letters, Tyson draws upon cosmic perspectives to address a vast array of questions about science, faith, philosophy, life, and of course, Pluto. His succinct, opinionated, passionate, and often funny responses reflect his popularity and standing as a leading educator. Tyson's 2017 bestseller Astrophysics for People in a Hurry offered more than one million readers an insightful and accessible understanding of the universe. Tyson's most candid and heartfelt writing yet, Letters from an Astrophysicist introduces us to a newly personal dimension of Tyson's quest to explore our place in the cosmos.… (more)
Member:Mithril
Title:Letters from an Astrophysicist
Authors:Neil deGrasse Tyson (Author)
Info:
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Science

Letters from an Astrophysicist by Neil deGrasse Tyson (2019)

Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson is a very public scientist. He receives a lot of mail (including email). From this vast archive of correspondence he has culled a selection of letters that ask good questions, bad questions, praise or blame, and to each he provides sensible and sometimes lengthy responses. The sheer effort to meaningfully fulfil how he sees his role as a public scientist is astonishing.

That said, I’m not entirely certain to whom this book is addressed. It is presented by the publishers as a companion, of sorts, to Tyson’s Astrophysics for People in a Hurry. It is not. You would be hard pressed to learn much about astrophysics from these correspondences. Rather what you learn is just how taxing (I want to write “tedious”, but I suspect Tyson is just more generous than I) it must be to be regularly confronted with the cliff edge of scientific illiteracy. Perhaps the few letters of startling optimism and scientific enthusiasm sprinkled in here make up for how disheartening the others must be. Perhaps.

I’d gladly recommend this book to someone to whom it might serve as inspiration. Until then, I’ll continue to recommend Tyson’s other titles. ( )
  RandyMetcalfe | Dec 23, 2019 |
If in this I have been tedious, it may be some excuse, I had not time to make it shorter.
--William Cowper
To my mother, who first taught me how to write with meaning and impact. And to my father, whose life experience navigating people, places, and things, conferred upon me the necessary wisdom to navigate a life of my own.
Preface: Now that people communicate with one another primarily by social media, letter-writing has become a lost art.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,822,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible