Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb Series, 2)…

Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb Series, 2) (edition 2020)

by Tamsyn Muir (Author)

Series: The Locked Tomb (2)

1,0205416,432 (4.17)32
Harrow the Ninth, the sequel to the sensational,USA Today best-selling novelGideon the Ninth, turns a galaxy inside out as one necromancer struggles to survive the wreckage of herself aboard the Emperor's haunted space station. "Lesbian necromancers explore a haunted gothic palace in space! Decadent nobles vie to serve the deathless emperor! Skeletons!" --Charles Stross onGideon the Ninth"Unlike anything I've ever read." --V.E. Schwab onGideon the Ninth "Deft, tense and atmospheric, compellingly immersive and wildly original." --The New York TimesonGideon the Ninth She answered the Emperor's call. She arrived with her arts, her wits, and her only friend. In victory, her world has turned to ash. After rocking the cosmos with her deathly debut, Tamsyn Muir continues the story of the penumbral Ninth House inHarrow the Ninth, a mind-twisting puzzle box of mystery, murder, magic, and mayhem. Nothing is as it seems in the halls of the Emperor, and the fate of the galaxy rests on one woman's shoulders. Harrowhark Nonagesimus, last necromancer of the Ninth House, has been drafted by her Emperor to fight an unwinnable war. Side-by-side with a detested rival, Harrow must perfect her skills and become an angel of undeath -- but her health is failing, her sword makes her nauseous, and even her mind is threatening to betray her. Sealed in the gothic gloom of the Emperor's Mithraeum with three unfriendly teachers, hunted by the mad ghost of a murdered planet, Harrow must confront two unwelcome questions: is somebody trying to kill her? And if they succeeded, would the universe be better off? THE LOCKED TOMB TRILOGY BOOK 1:Gideon the Ninth BOOK 2:Harrow the Ninth BOOK 3:Alecto the Ninth… (more)
Member:gwyl
Title:Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb Series, 2)
Authors:Tamsyn Muir (Author)
Info:Tordotcom (2020), Edition: First Edition, 512 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:read

Work Information

Harrow the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir

Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones (Aquila)
    Aquila: Very different books except for one important point of similarity.
    The Stars Are Legion by Kameron Hurley (Aquila)
    Aquila: The experience of reading Harrow kept making me think of The Stars are Legion.

The way this book tested my mental strength. I felt like I was going insane, I couldn't believe anything that was happening was actually true. I was questioning this book and if I truly was going to like this book. BUT they fucking pulled me back in with all of those plot twists and everything coming together. And of course, it just had to end on a god damn cliffhanger. I can't wait to read more of this series. ( )
  mythical_library | Jun 14, 2022 |
OMFG, what? I mean, whaaaaaaaat?!?!?

I hardly know how to review this, because it is by far the most compelling mindfuck I've ever fallen into, and I'm not sure if I like that? And I'm not entirely sure that I even understood all of the plotlines, but I sure as hell didn't want to put it down. Be prepared for a descent into madness, I mean, probably. Be prepared to question your own sanity/memory, after a while. Be prepared for the body-exploding, sword-fighting, necromantic lesbians to come raging back, eventually. Good luck. it's totally worth the journey.

Advanced Reader's Copy Provided by Edelweiss. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
Confusing, nonsensical, plot less and just an absolute drag. Don't bother with this ( )
  pgarri16 | Mar 5, 2022 |
Hopefully I'll write a proper review later, but having just finished, I think at best I can manage 'holy hell, WTAF'.

Took a while to warm up; Harrowhark is possibly the most unreliable narrator I have ever had the pleasure to read, but that eventually becomes clear as to why. If you read the first book, there is quite a bit of 'what am I missing', but it might be even more confusing if you haven't.

multiple tumblr in-jokes; they were a good bit of levity in some quite tense situations. ( )
  fred_mouse | Feb 20, 2022 |
What the FUCK did I just read.

Never has a book made me so very angry, while simultaneously begging for more. I had Very Big Complex Feelings about Gideon the Ninth, and the sequel took those feelings and multiplied them by eleven. (Especially in the first four acts or so.)

Luckily vindication was (eventually) forthcoming. ( )
  TinkerBot | Feb 8, 2022 |

Tamsyn Muirprimary authorall editionscalculated
Arnold, TommyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Quirk, MoiraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One for the Emperor, first of us all;
One for his Lyctors, who answered the call;
One for his Saints, who were chosen of old;
One for his Hands, and the swords that they hold.
for Isa Yap,
who understood Harrow too well,
and without whom so much of me would not have happened

and

for pT
Your room had long ago plunged into near-complete darkenss, leaving no distraction from the great rocking thump-thump-thump of body after body flining iteself onto the great mass already coating the hull.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,587,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible