Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The House in the Cerulean Sea

by TJ Klune

1,8461077,053 (4.34)1 / 105
"A magical island. A dangerous task. A burning secret. Linus Baker leads a quiet, solitary life. At forty, he lives in a tiny house with a devious cat and his old records. As a Case Worker at the Department in Charge Of Magical Youth, he spends his days overseeing the well-being of children in government-sanctioned orphanages. When Linus is unexpectedly summoned by Extremely Upper Management he's given a curious and highly classified assignment: travel to Marsyas Island Orphanage, where six dangerous children reside: a gnome, a sprite, a wyvern, an unidentifiable green blob, a were-Pomeranian, and the Antichrist. Linus must set aside his fears and determine whether or not they're likely to bring about the end of days. But the children aren't the only secret the island keeps. Their caretaker is the charming and enigmatic Arthur Parnassus, who will do anything to keep his wards safe. As Arthur and Linus grow closer, long-held secrets are exposed, and Linus must make a choice: destroy a home or watch the world burn. An enchanting story, masterfully told, The House in the Cerulean Sea is about the profound experience of discovering an unlikely family in an unexpected place-and realizing that family is yours."--… (more)

English (106)  Dutch (1)  All languages (107)
So lovely. Just a warm, gentle exploration of people coming into who they are and growing and supporting each other. ( )
  coprime | Nov 12, 2021 |
This book was absolutely magical and so beautifully written! I loved the characters in this book and how each of them lovingly came alive! Linus grew so much over the course of this book and I loved his spirit. The children were all amazing as well! Lucy, Talia, Phee, Theodore, Sal, and Chauncey were such lovely children and I found myself laughing so much while reading their antics. And Arthur was a fantastic mystery in himself. I put the pieces together myself but I still found myself happy when everything was finally revealed. Such a marvelous book. I highly recommend it. ( )
  klcarmack | Nov 12, 2021 |
I want to sink into this world and stay there with this wonderful cast of characters. Luckily (unluckily?) we can take up their cause and fight prejudice right here in ours. ( )
  Cerestheories | Nov 8, 2021 |
4.5 stars ( )
  slittleson | Oct 24, 2021 |
A magical book! A little heavy handed at times but the children completely steal the show!!! ( )
  Dianekeenoy | Oct 22, 2021 |

Klune, TJprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Henning, DanielNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sickels, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For those who have been with me since the beginning: look at what we've made. Thank you.
'Oh dear,' Linus Baker said, wiping the sweat from his brow.
“There are mysteries that may never be solved, no matter how hard we try. And if we spend too long trying to solve them, we may miss what’s right in front of us. The world is a weird and wonderful place. Why must we try and explain it all away?” (p. 114)
“I am but paper. Brittle and thin. I am held up to the sun, and it shines right through me. I get written on, and I can never be used again. These scratches are a history. They’re a story. Hey tell things for others s to read, but they only see the words, and not what the words are written upon. I am but paper, and though there are many like me, none are exactly the same. I am parched parchment. I have lines. I have holes. Get me wet, and I melt. Light me on fire, and I burn. Take me in hardened hands, and I crumple. I tear. I am but paper. Brittle and thin.” (p. 133)

Magical children / An inspector comes to call / Fear or love: what wins? (g33kgrrl)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,312,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible