The Girl with the Louding Voice: A Novel by…

The Girl with the Louding Voice: A Novel (original 2020; edition 2021)

by Abi Daré (Author)

"A powerful, emotional debut novel told in the unforgettable voice of a young Nigerian woman who is trapped in a life of servitude but determined to get an education so that she can escape and choose her own future. Adunni is a fourteen-year-old Nigerian girl who knows what she wants: an education. This, her mother has told her, is the only way to get a "louding voice"-the ability to speak for herself and decide her own future. But instead, Adunni's father sells her to be the third wife of a local man who is eager for her to bear him a son and heir. When Adunni runs away to the city, hoping to make a better life, she finds that the only other option before her is servitude to a wealthy family. As a yielding daughter, a subservient wife, and a powerless slave, Adunni is told, by words and deeds, that she is nothing. But while misfortunes might muffle her voice for a time, they cannot mute it. And when she realizes that she must stand up not only for herself, but for other girls, for the ones who came before her and were lost, and for the next girls, who will inevitably follow; she finds the resolve to speak, however she can-in a whisper, in song, in broken English-until she is heard"--… (more)
Member:Kyla_Ke
Title:The Girl with the Louding Voice: A Novel
Authors:Abi Daré (Author)
Info:Dutton (2021), 400 pages

The Girl With the Louding Voice by Abi Daré (2020)

Loved it ( )
  SBG1962 | Sep 3, 2021 |
Excellent novel about a 14 year old girl, who has to grow up too fast when her mother dies in order to take care of the house, her two brothers and her drunkard father, forcing her to forego what she wants most in life: an education. As the family falls deeper into debt without the mother's sewing and cooking, her father sells Adunni to a cabdriver as a third wife so she can bear a son for him. The first wife is a veritable pit viper, and the second wife is kind to her, but something terrible happens with her, forcing Adunni to flee to a nearby village for help. She becomes indentured to a wealthy family in Lagos, where she is mistreated physically and psychologically by the breadwinner wife, a successful cloth merchant, and the emasculated husband wants her to be his lover. Her sole friend is the Ghanaian cook, who shows her an advertisement for an oil company scholarship to a prestigious school for a servant. One of her employer's luncheon ladies, who is not a snob, agrees to help teach her better English to complete her essay in order to get an education and help raise up others. A sad picture of life as a woman in Nigeria, showcasing a rebel willing to fight for herself. A fictional version of Malala. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
diverse adult fiction (women's issues in 2014 Nigeria; 14-year-old girl in a Nigerian village is given away to a man in exchange for a bride price; she eventually runs off to Lagos where she is "hired" as a housemaid to a rich, abusive woman)
Written in the Nigerian Creole (Pidgin) of a girl whose education has been cut short, this audiobook is brilliantly narrated by [a:Adjoa Andoh|585301|Adjoa Andoh|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/user/u_50x66-632230dc9882b4352d753eedf9396530.png] and makes for a lovely listening experience--though it definitely required more of my concentration.
Adunni is an interesting character -- naïve but determined, brave and strong, and somehow keeping a positive outlook despite all that has befallen her and her friends, but I don't know if she would stand out against other book heroes that much if not for her setting and voice--she does make a number of astute observations that are very sharp. At any rate, this is a fine book that I would recommend. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
I tried to read this book but had a hard time the the language. I didn’t finish because I was not able to feel a connection with the main character. ( )
  janismack | Apr 28, 2021 |
I had another reader tell me that this book was written in the way that Adunni learns to read. So clunky at first but progressing with better pronunciation and grammar. Which I really liked this aspect about the book. It showed the progression of Adunni's journey.

She started out as a girl but by the end of the story, she had grown into a strong woman. Adunni is the embodiment of female empowerment that we need today. This story may have been about Adunni but she could not have done it alone. She had help along the way. The other women in this book were just as strong.

I zoomed through this book as I could not stop reading it. In fact, it is my first five star read of 2021! I am really looking forward to reading the next book by this author. The Girl with the Louding Voice is a five star recommended read! It is worth all the praise it is receiving. ( )
  Cherylk | Feb 13, 2021 |
Daré has said of the language in which the book is written: “Nigerians speak something called pidgin English, and I knew I didn’t want to write in pidgin English because even the very educated people speak pidgin English. I wanted it to be nonstandard English.The results of this invented English are uneven.. I could make it Adunni’s. It could be her own English, so to speak....The novel is strongest when dealing with interpersonal relationships, especially between characters of different classes.....The story told in this novel is an important one. The trauma of girls forced into marriage and the blight of domestic slavery in Nigeria are both issues that must be brought to light. As Adunni wonders: “Why are the women in Nigeria seem to be suffering for everything more than the men?” The Girl With the Louding Voice joins a long and fine tradition of issue-led novels that have sparked conversations resulting in social change. Social justice is a laudable intention when writing a novel, yet one also reads them for subtler and less concrete gains.

Abi Daréprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andoh, AdjoaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother, Professor Teju Somorin, not just because you are smart and beautiful and became the first female professor of taxation in Nigeria in 2019, but also because you made me see the importance of education and sacrificed so much for me to get the best of it.
Nigeria is a country located in West Africa.
This morning, Papa call me inside the parlor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,169,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible