Wink (2020)

by Rob Harrell

Wink is based on the author's experience with cancer although it is fictional. The novel reminded me a lot of Wonder. It was good for middle grades (5-9th). There is some humor to off set the cancer storyline. Quick read. Fast paced. Golden Sower nominee 2021-22. ( )
  Beth.Clarke | Oct 12, 2021 |
Ross has a rare tumor behind his eye. He's undergoing cancer treatment and it is pretty miserable. Made worse by friend drama, mean memes, and the knowledge he's going to lose some vision. Told with flashbacks at times to get Ross' back story. Ross turns to his art (specifically his batpig cartoons) and his newly discovered passion for music to help. He's got a great supportive supporting cast of characters. The book has humor, heart, and is a quick read. The book is based on the author's experience with cancer treatment. ( )
  ewyatt | Sep 22, 2021 |
I bought this book for our grade 4/5 school library because it's an intermediate Nutmeg nominee for CT this year. I wasn't prepared for such a strong, emotionally packed, on-spot middle grade voice. Based on the author's real-life experience with a rare eye cancer, Ross has to not only deal with navigating middle school (not easy in any case), but with his condition, cruel memes about his illness, a friend deserting him, a class bully, and on and on. He does so with humor, finding outlets in creating (drawing and music), and his best friend Abby. But there is also a raw honesty throughout, anger that this is happening to him. The story had me in tears at times. I highly recommend not only for kids, but for adults. ( )
  DonnaMarieMerritt | Sep 6, 2021 |
This novel shares the story of Ross Maloy, who has recently been diagnosed with a rare type of eye cancer. This story follows his journey of being a seventh-grader, wanting to fit in, and eventually learning to love life despite circumstances. This would be a great read for students to learn about having a chronic illness or being diagnosed with cancer. This would be a great read for those in upper elementary to middle school. ( )
  sobiec | Apr 23, 2021 |
Finally! An endearing and honest look at a kid with cancer. This is not saccharine or devastating. It's feels real, hard yet funny, weird and unsettling and hopeful. I'll even forgive the school talent show troupe (I've read five 2020 kid book releases with talent shows...I'm over it). ( )
  RachellErnst | Jan 5, 2021 |
For Amber
I'm lying on a steel table, all too aware of the giant ray gun pointed in my direction.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,283,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible