Providence by Max Barry

Providence (edition 2020)

by Max Barry (Author)

"Gilly, Talia, Anders, and Jackson are astronauts captaining a new and supposedly indestructible ship in humanity's war against an alien race. Confined to the ship for years, each of them holding their own secrets, they are about to learn there are threats beyond the reach of human ingenuity--and that the true nature of reality might be the universe's greatest mystery. In this near future, our world is at war with another, and humanity is haunted by its one catastrophic loss--a nightmarish engagement that left a handful of survivors drifting home through space, wracked with PTSD. Public support for the war plummeted, and the military-industrial complex set its sights on a new goal: zero-casualty warfare, made possible by gleaming new ships called Providences, powered by AI. But when the latest-launched Providence suffers a surprising attack and contact with home is severed, Gilly, Talia, Anders, and Jackson must confront the truth of the war they're fighting, the ship that brought them there, and the cosmos beyond"--… (more)
Member:jimctierney
Title:Providence
Authors:Max Barry (Author)
Info:Hodder & Stoughton (2020), 320 pages
Rating:**

Providence by Max Barry

How to Mars by David Ebenbach (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: A small group of people, stuck together in space
    The Martian by Andy Weir (Aug3Zimm)
    Aug3Zimm: A small number of people on a spaceship for an extended period of time
    Redshirts by John Scalzi (Aug3Zimm)
    Aug3Zimm: Entertaining space adventure

The plot is not altogether unique, but the action is believable, the characters well-developed, and that action non-stop. Thoroughly entertaining! ( )
  wagnerkim | Jul 21, 2021 |
3,5 ( )
  naoph | Jan 1, 2021 |
I expect a lot from Max Barry. I know that when I read his books, I'm going to be blown away. I was not disappointed with this book. This book will be a re-read at some point. I know I missed important parts - I was reading so quickly.

It's hard for me to write about books that I love because so many things have to work in unison to make me love it. I tried to work out what I loved, but it read like blahblahblah, so I deleted it. ( )
  authenticjoy | Nov 15, 2020 |
DNF'd the audiobook at 23%. The story had some promising elements, and I feel like I maybe bailed just before it got good, but at that point, it had lost me. There really wasn't enough going on to engage me or keep me reading.
  RandyRasa | Oct 25, 2020 |
Most of it is not bad. But it's never explained how the aliens learn from and adjust to the humans' tactics. Do they have faster-than-light communications or travel? It's never addressed. Much worse, at the end we learn the true nature of the alien enemy and it makes no sense:
The individual aliens emerge spontaneously from a pool of genetic material, whatever they use in place of DNA. Um, what? There's no way evolution could act on such a pool of genetic material because there'd be no feedback. Evolution works on (populations of) organisms because the organisms reproduce, and the genes of those that are more reproductively successful are a larger proportion of the next generation. But a pool of genetic material spitting out non-reproducing organisms wouldn't evolve because there's no feedback from the individuals it spits into the environment back to the genetic material. ( )
  Carnophile | Aug 23, 2020 |
Providence is wiser than you, and you may be confident it has suited all things better to your eternal good than you could do had you been left to your own option.
—John Flavel
For Freddy
They use the guns this time
At last it's time and you file in to watch the contact video.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,294,036 books! | Top bar: Always visible