The Duke's Stolen Bride

by Sophie Jordan

Series: The Rogue Files (5)

USA Today Bestseller! From USA Today bestselling author Sophie Jordan comes a scandalously sensual romance in her beloved Rogue Files series. "Deliciously sexy!"? Sarah MacLean, New York Times bestselling author An urgent dilemma... To save her impoverished family, Marian Langley will become a mistress. But she will not be just any mistress. Marian intends to become so skilled, so coveted, that she can set her own terms, retaining control over her body and her fate. Only one problem remains: finding a tutor... A scandalous solution... Other men deprive themselves of pleasure for propriety's sake. Nathaniel, Duke of Warrington, would much rather be depraved. He slakes his desires with professionals who ask nothing of him but his coin. Marian's proposal?that he train her without taking her virtue?is an intriguing diversion, until their lessons in seduction spin out of control. And a most unlikely duchess... When Marian is blackmailed into engagement by a man she despises, Nate impulsively steals her away. Though he never intended to take a wife, he can't tolerate the idea of Marian forfeiting her freedom to another. But can he bear to give her what she demands?a real marriage?… (more)

The Duke’s Stolen Bride is the fifth installment in the series and I have had a fun time with these books. I was really pleased to see that this one was available at my local library. I just adored this one in many ways, and even though it had one of my least favorite themes/tropes in it (heroine learning to be a mistress) Sophia Jordan did a great job in creating this scenario and making it seem realistic and relatable.

Our heroine, Marian, is determined to save her family. Her father passed away and left them destitute. And now they are barely making it by, with little food and warmth in their home. Her sisters are doing what they can but its just not enough for what they need to survive. When she encounters a Duke at a inn who saves her in a round about way, she is intrigued. So she goes to him, knowing he is a reputable rake and has experience in making money on the back. She wants to be a courtesan, never had a desire for marriage and wants to not worry about money. So she goes to him to tutor her in lessons….but these lessons soon turn into something deeper and an attachment forms between them both….one that could lead to love and marriage and family, a path Marian never expected to desire until she found the right man

The Duke’s Stolen Bride was such a fun story and so engaging. I just sped through this story and boy its been a while since I have read a print book but it was fun to delve into a printed library book (and yes I got one since my library is offering curbside service now) and I didn’t know what to expect with this story. To be honest the whole tutoring mistress lessons isn’t my favorite theme in historical romance to be honest. And the plot was pretty predictable at times but I did love seeing a bit of suspense at the end of the story. Really added something different to the story that really needed it.

It was quite interesting the match that Nate and Marian made together. Nate is a bit of a Mr. Darcy in some ways but he tends to shield his character at times. But as we delve more into his character you see so much more respect begin to form about him. Marian was a character I did like. I loved how much she loved her sisters and what she was willing to do to protect them and make sure they were taken care of even at the cost of herself.

Overall I found The Duke’s Stolen Bride to be a very interesting story that had a unique dynamic and a stunning sensuality to be endeared with ( )
  addictofromance | May 1, 2020 |
This was a fun and easy read, but I didn’t feel as though I learned enough about the hero and heroine; oddly and nicely not a lot of drama except the cookie cutter villain in the village blacksmith. ( )
  spinsterrevival | Mar 25, 2020 |
I received an ARC of this book to read through Edelweiss+ in exchange for a fair review. The Duke’s Stolen Bride is the 5th book in Sophie Jordan’s The Rogue Files series. It can be read as a stand-alone but you will never go wrong reading a Sophie Jordan novel so read them all.
Marian Langley was employed as a governess and a ladies companion for a number of years but has given that career up in order to come home and look after her younger brother and sisters when her father died. Unfortunately she is unable to earn enough to support her family in the small village where they live and things are getting desperate when she decides that the only way forward is to become the mistress of a wealthy man. She realises that in order to be successful in this new career she’s going to need some lessons on how to be a good lover and who better to approach for those lessons than The Depraved Duke himself Nathaniel (Nate) Duke of Warrington. From the moment Nate first met Marian when she crawled under his table in the pub to hide from a bill collector he’s been shaken out of the decadent ennui his life revolved around and if he does instruct her will he want to let her go? This delightful story will surely heat up a cold winter night and I highly recommend it. Medium Steam Publishing Date October 22, 2019 #Edelweiss+ #TheDukesStolenBride #SophieJordan #AvonRomance #HarperCollinsCanada #HarperCollinsPublishers #HistoricalRomance #Bookstagram #DukesandGovernesses ( )
  nmgski | Oct 3, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,332,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible