dismiss

Fair Warning

by Michael Connelly

Series: Jack McEvoy (3), Rachel Walling (6), Harry Bosch Universe (33)

The hero of The Poet and The Scarecrow is back in the new thriller from #1 New York Times bestselling author Michael Connelly. Jack McEvoy, the journalist who never backs down, tracks a serial killer who has been operating completely under the radar--until now. Veteran reporter Jack McEvoy has taken down killers before, but when a woman he had a one-night stand with is murdered in a particularly brutal way, McEvoy realizes he might be facing a criminal mind unlike any he's ever encountered. Jack investigates--against the warnings of the police and his own editor--and makes a shocking discovery that connects the crime to other mysterious deaths across the country. Undetected by law enforcement, a vicious killer has been hunting women, using genetic data to select and stalk his targets. Uncovering the murkiest corners of the dark web, Jack races to find and protect the last source who can lead him to his quarry. But the killer has already chosen his next target, and he's ready to strike. Terrifying and unputdownable, Fair Warning shows once again why "Michael Connelly has earned his place in the pantheon of great crime fiction writers" (Chicago Sun-Times).… (more)
Recently added byJoeB1934, Jsnyder037, private library, AshZuidema, jbelyea, LindaAF, munhak

Enjoyed this book. ( )
  wincheryl | Jun 20, 2022 |
Liked The Poet and The Scarecrow; this one not-so-much. McEvoy is not a compelling or relatable character. ( )
  fwbl | Oct 28, 2021 |
I found Fair Warning to be a compelling read, but not as engaging as I wanted or expected. I have read both The Poet and The Scarecrow and remember loving the books. But in this one, I find Jack McEvoy to be an irritating asshole and this detracts from the book for me. It is difficult to read a story where the main character is less than sympathetic, and McEvoy, in this book, is.
Still, the story, revolving around genetic analysis, and the involvement of Rachel Walling drew me in and I had to keep reading.
Particularly in the first part of the novel, I felt that Connelly's handling of the details of the story were not as strong as I have seen in the Harry Bosch novels. At times, I almost felt like this was an old novel, written years ago when he was still learning how to write police procedurals. ( )
  tbrown3131949 | Aug 20, 2021 |
The author has used all his journalistic experience to write an excellent thriller which examines the growing popularity of consumer genetic or DNA testing, coupled with an almost total absence of regulation, at least in the US. Jack McEvoy is a journalist working for Fair Warning who decides to investigate the DNA testing sector when he falls under suspicion of the death of a woman who used such a service. It is revealed at the end of the book that Fair Warning is a real organisation and the author is on the board, so writes with even more inside knowledge than I thought! ( )
  edwardsgt | Aug 11, 2021 |
A crime story that has us believing that and old reporter is a seasoned member
of the information highway. The book has great flow and holds us from beginning
to end. It leaves us with the belief that there are more stories to come. ( )
  delta61 | Jul 30, 2021 |

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Giles, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Villa, ZachNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

She liked his car.

Connelly, Michael. Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy) (p. 3). Little, Brown and Company. Kindle Edition.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,994,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible