Exposed

by Kristen Callihan

Series: VIP (4)

BrennaThere are some people in life who know exactly how to push your buttons. For me, it's Rye Peterson. We can't spend more than ten minutes together before we're at each other's throats, which makes working together that much harder. Rye is the bassist for Kill John, the biggest rock band in the world, and I am his publicist. It doesn't help that the man is gorgeous, funny, talented, and?never takes anything seriously. Avoidance is key. But everything changes when he overhears something he shouldn't: a confession made in a moment of weakness. Now the man I've tried so hard to ignore is offering me the greatest temptation of all-him. RyeBrenna James is the one. The one I can't have. The one I can't get out of my mind. Believe me, I've tried; the woman loathes me. I managed well enough-until I heard her say she's as lonely as I am. That she needed to be touched, held, satisfied. And I could no longer deny the truth: I wanted to be the one to give her what she craved. I convinced her that it would just be physical, mutual satisfaction with nothing deeper. But the moment I have her, she becomes my world. I've never given her a good reason to trust me before. Now, I've got to show Brenna that we're so much better together than we ever were apart. Things are going to get messy. But getting messy with Brenna is what I do best.… (more)

I just made, quite honestly, a split second decision to DNF this bad boy. Why? I'm not sure I entirely...care? Is this all manufactured? And when I said I was really noticing dual POVs, I guess what I mean is..in the right books, it's seamless, and natural and something about this book's choice of breaks or overlap just didn't work quite right for me.

Anyway, I think the arrangement did me in, I don't know. There wasn't much left to build. That's great, I think they are gonna make it, I'm just not gonna make it to the end.

Emma Wilder's performance as Brenna is NOT FOR ME - which is really irritating because JF Harding is great. If Wilder just used her full voice rather than her breathy narration that seems paced in the most unnatural way, I would've loved it. As it was, it was truly hard to listen to, so I didn't. In turn, that makes it too much effort to read+listen...so eventually, I didn't. ( )
  samnreader | Apr 3, 2022 |
One of the best of 2021

I have been waiting for this book since I discovered this series last year. The blurb had me 100% and had me eager to dive into this story. I knew it would be good, but what I didn't know was how good. This is one of those books that grabbed me in the first few paragraphs and kept me beguiled until the very last paragraph. This is the type of book that reminds me why I read romance, and no it isn't just because of steamy times, although, those were hot too. No, this book reminded me that I love to fall into the pages of the story and have the characters and their journey towards finding love become almost tangible.

This book had a different feel to it than the previous books. While those had humor and snark and great connections, there was something more palpable about Brenna and Rye as they discovered that behind their antagonistic attitudes and begrudging contempt there was something deeper. Watching that grow and evolve in this book was everything. From the very beginning, it was as if their souls touched and it was wondrous to see. Both Brenna and Rye changed personally but it was their connection and building trust in each other that made their relationship special. I know that a lot of authors strive for that in their story but somehow this author managed to do it in a way that is hard to describe. All I can say is that it resonated with me and I live for those magical moments in books.

There were great cameos and conversations with previous characters, one in particular with Jax, that all served to enhance the story and did not distract from Brenna and Rye being the main characters. There were a few foreshadowing moments in regards to Whip and I hope that means that the author intends to finish out the series. I would like it if Jules had a story too but I won't be greedy.

I highly recommend this story to anyone looking for a story that is pure romance, with engaging characters, the right amount of angst, and a great cast of characters. The steamy times were hot too but in no way overshadowed the story. This author knows how to traverse the line of quality story with just the right amount of steam. It is my favorite book of the series by far. It will definitely be a reread for me at a future date. It is going in my best of 2021 because it left me hopeful and believing in love and that isn't a bad thing for a romance book to do. ( )
  MagicalRi | Feb 24, 2022 |
This is the fourth book in the VIP series. I read the first three a while ago, so it was kind of hard to remember the details about some of the characters and I honestly didn't remember much about the main characters Rye and Brenna. The book was just ok for me. 3 stars. ( )
  sdbookhound | Aug 27, 2021 |

Belongs to Series

VIP (4)
Anything worth doing takes a little chaos. - FLEA
For all the Rye and Brenna fans who waited so patiently for their story.
There is a time in a woman's life when her friends start finding their true loves and suddenly everything is a couple's deal, complete with private looks and inside jokes that you're no longer part of, and ugh!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,862,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible