A Trapezoid Is Not a Dinosaur! by Suzanne…

A Trapezoid Is Not a Dinosaur! (edition 2019)

by Suzanne Morris (Author), Suzanne Morris (Illustrator)

1331,176,026 (3.67)None
When Trapezoid auditions for the Shapes in Space play, Triangle, Star, and all the other shapes insist that he sounds like a some kind of dinosaur and certainly does not fit in with them--but Trapezoid is determined to reveal his shape properties, and prove his usefulness.
Member:kvanputten
Title:A Trapezoid Is Not a Dinosaur!
Authors:Suzanne Morris (Author)
Other authors:Suzanne Morris (Illustrator)
Info:Charlesbridge (2019), 32 pages
Rating:***
Tags:#read3373, #mathematics, #picturebook, #middleschool, #puns, #shapes

A Trapezoid Is Not a Dinosaur! by Suzanne Morris

This is a cute picture book, it introduces shapes like they were in a show and how they could work together. It is a short read and easy, so all grade levels could read it. I did not understand with it was called "not a dinosaur" though, I really did not see the point in that title. ( )
  kvanputten | Apr 6, 2020 |
In this book there are many shapes introduced who are trying out for a part in a show. Nobody knows what a trapezoid is and thinks he is different and weird. I gave this book a five because this book is a cute children's book but could also be used in a 4-8 class. There is really good math terminology used and "jokes" that maybe younger kids wouldn't catch on to. This book is about fitting in and middle school students struggle with that a lot. ( )
  aks067 | Mar 29, 2020 |
The shapes are getting ready for a show! But who's this weird blue shape? A dinosaur? No dinos needed for this space show! The different shapes, Square, Circle, and Star, all audition and Triangle gives them parts, but they don't want this weird shape at all! Unless it wants to be a dinosaur. But Trapezoid is NOT a dinosaur! It's a shape all on its own and one that has an important part to play in the space show!

This pun-filled picture book is fun and informative on several different levels. I picked it up while I was looking for additional books for my STEAM activity calendars, and it has lots of geometry involved. Each shape explains itself, using words like "parallel" and "angle" and is compared to the other shapes, so readers can see the similarities and differences. Then there is the social element, as the other shapes learn to call Trapezoid by their correct name and realize that they have contributions to make too, even though they are a different shape. On top of all that, it's funny! Cute cartoons show colorful shapes bouncing around the stage and simple panels showing the show before the show as they get things going. Pun-lovers will be in heaven here, with a generous helping of gems like "Sorry, Trapezoid. You just don't fit in./But I have some good points, too."

Verdict: I read this with 1st graders, who had coincidentally just finished learning about trapezoids and other shapes, and they had a lot of fun identifying the shapes and laughing at the story. We also had some good discussions about "parallel" and what that means. A great addition to storytimes for older kids and to your picture book STEM collections.

ISBN: 9781580898836; Published November 2019 by Charlesbridge; Purchased for the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Feb 28, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,699,197 books! | Top bar: Always visible