The Rise and Fall of Charles Lindbergh by…

The Rise and Fall of Charles Lindbergh (edition 2020)

by Candace Fleming (Author)

"A riveting biography of one of America's most celebrated heroes, and most complicated, troubled men, Charles Lindbergh"--
Member:b.irons
Title:The Rise and Fall of Charles Lindbergh
Authors:Candace Fleming (Author)
Info:Schwartz & Wade (2020), 384 pages

Work Information

The Rise and Fall of Charles Lindbergh by Candace Fleming

Gr 7 Up—This balanced biographical account centers on Charles Lindbergh, the first pilot to complete a solo
transatlantic flight. Fleming examines Lindbergh's complicated life, including his rather unusual childhood, his years
flying in obscurity, the kidnapping of his son, and his pro-Nazi Germany and anti-immigrant rhetoric.
  BackstoryBooks | Apr 2, 2024 |
RGG: Complex representation of Charles Lindbergh, and his wife Anne. Covers a lot of 20th century history. Reading Interest: 12-YA.
  rgruberexcel | Dec 26, 2021 |
The biography of Charles Lindbergh fascinated me. I really only knew about the two things for which he is famous: first man to fly over the Atlantic and the kidnapping of his first child.

I had ordered this novel for the library and happened to open it and was pulled in with the prologue. It sounded like a political rally that would occur in present times with the exact same message, but this rally took place in May of 1941, just before the United States entered WWII. It only got more fascinating with the first chapter when you learn his grandfather moved to America to escape prison and took a new name while leaving his wife and children behind yet taking his mistress and their son. What kind of family is this?

As the biography continues, you read about Charles' parents. It seems that Charles had a closer relationship with his mother than his father, who succeeded financially in life and even served in politics. The men in this family fail to have close relationships with their wives, it seems. They are driven, ambitious, capable men, however. Charles really never knows what it is to struggle. He always has money, but he's not particularly good in school or with personal relationships, having friends. He's far from stupid. I see him as a natural mechanic. He decides planes are interesting and his obsession never wanes. His piloting skills soar!

After learning to fly and doing odd flying jobs, he decided to be the first to cross the Atlantic. Even though other famous pilots are also planning on being the first, Charles follows his gut and takes off believing the weather will clear. This decision changes his life. He becomes revered, almost to the point of worship. People take what he says as their opinion as well. Hounded by people and photographers and the press, Charles only wants to advocate for airplanes as a form of travel. When he decides to marry, he bases his choice on eugenics. He picks someone who should be strong and of good stock, so to speak. He chooses well. Anne learns to fly, naviage, and support Charles completely.

I found their marriage interesting and true to the time period. The woman supports the husband. Luckier than most, she does have help with the house and kids, so not everything is on her shoulders. She flies with Charles, so they often leave their children at home. When WWII unfolds, Charles believes in the same ideas as the Nazis, which creates a division between President Roosevelt and Charles. His beliefs profoundly affect him and Anne. He does get some war time in fighting the Japanese and teaching pilots how to fly better and longer, which helps the war effort.

I enjoyed reading this book very much. I knew nothing about his life after the kidnapping of his first child, so I was interested in his life. His focus and ambition and passion never flagged. I was surprised by the choices he made after the war--they showed so little regard to Anne who did so much for him. I read few biographies but found this one worth my time as I learned so much. ( )
  acargile | Mar 29, 2021 |
Narrated by Kirsten Potter. All I really knew about Charles Lindbergh was the basics: first to fly across the Atlantic, the Lindbergh baby kidnapping, and more recently, learning about his white supremacy leanings. This book provided a fuller picture of a complex man, not quite the hero he was made out to be, but a human with his share of idiosyncracies and failings. Potter's performance further animates an intriguing work of narrative non-fiction. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Dec 23, 2020 |
Honestly not sure why this is even considered a juvenile book; it's simple, but 7th-12th graders can certainly read bios in the adult department. The author is a well-known writer of juvenile nonfiction, my colleague tells me, so that's probably why it's being reviewed as such. It appears to be a good representation, with coverage of all the nastier parts of Lindbergh's life presented in understandable storied fashion. Not at all dry! ( )
  clrichm | Jan 23, 2020 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,094,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible