Mindf*ck: Cambridge Analytica and the Plot…

Mindf*ck: Cambridge Analytica and the Plot to Break America (original 2019; edition 2019)

by Christopher Wylie (Author)

"Mindf*ck goes deep inside Cambridge Analytica's "American operations," which were driven by Steve Bannon's vision to remake America and fueled by mysterious billionaire Robert Mercer's money, as it weaponized and wielded the massive store of data it had harvested on individuals--in excess of 87 million--to disunite the United States and set Americans against each other. Bannon had long sensed that deep within America's soul lurked an explosive tension. Cambridge Analytica had the data to prove it, and in 2016 Bannon had a presidential campaign to use as his proving ground."--Amazon.… (more)
Member:august8914
Title:Mindf*ck: Cambridge Analytica and the Plot to Break America
Authors:Christopher Wylie (Author)
Info:Random House (2019), 288 pages

Mindf*ck: Cambridge Analytica and the Plot to Break America by Christopher Wylie (2019)

Crime in Progress: Inside the Steele Dossier and the Fusion GPS Investigation of Donald Trump by Glenn Simpson (M_Clark)
    M_Clark: This helps complete the story in Mindf*ck with its story of Fusion GPS and the creation of the Steele Dossier.

absolutely illuminating ( )
  hueyy | Jul 13, 2021 |
Super quick read. Fascinating for both the layman and those who work in the field of data science ( )
  JeremyBrashaw | May 30, 2021 |
Sometimes you've got to rate a book for its importance above all else. MindF*ck is such a book. It consumed my mental bandwidth and left me wanting to learn more. It changed how I engage with social media and will stay with me long after I put it down. Despite some significant flaws, MindF*ck is getting a 5/5.

Its content and insight are the book’s best features. It ought to be required reading for internet users. Digital influence is powerful and already shaping our world; Cambridge Analytica is just the most well-known iteration. Wylie weaves together technology, politics, psychology, history, and even fashion and colonialism, to present how this has developed. I found the casual but informed writing style of a twenty-something flamboyant party-boy to be a welcomed departure from the stuffy political memoirs typically written by ageing retirees. Wylie injects the story with his personality, bringing some levity to what could otherwise be a very dry operational account. The blend of story and facts kept me engaged.

However, Wylie's obvious bias creates grounds for distrust. Despite vehemently opposing these tools, I get the sense that if Cambridge Analytica had contracted with Clinton's campaign, rather than Trump's, Wylie would still be working for them. His black and white (read: blue and red) sense of right and wrong are far too simplistic. He misses the opportunity for a more nuanced discussion. Furthermore, I don't buy his naivety and tone of exoneration. It is far too convenient.

Despite all that, completely worth the read. Just make sure you're thinking about it. ( )
  eljay12 | Dec 13, 2020 |
I can't say I'm shocked, but this retelling IS shocking. I've just completed the trifecta: "Antisocial," "Catch and Kill," and this. Now, I'm ready for Bambi. This is first rate journalism. Another example of "you think you know," but really, unless you are presented with this level of detail, there's no way that could be true. I'm glad to be informed but man, what a mess. ( )
  shaundeane | Sep 13, 2020 |
Fascinating and compelling narrative about a data scientist/political worker who was one of the brains behind Cambridge Analytica and its data-sweeping efforts to map and influence every American and British voter using Facebook data, psychological tests posing as games, and other off-the-shelf data. Especially interesting is the way CA was set up through shell companies as a quasi-legal US version of its parent company, SCL, so it could legally influence US elections. Bannon is a major player as are the Mercers and a Russian oil company - and it's all very alarming. I thought the author did an excellent job of explaining both the technical and political aspects of the company. The CEO, Alexander Nix, is quite a character - one the author obviously found a loathsome combination of talented salesmanship, ostentation, and ineptitude. Though he addresses how he got swept into working against democracy (the intellectual challenge was exciting, some of his colleagues were smart and creative, and they were doing something new - kind of like the excuses physicists who regretted working on the atomic bomb made) it's still a bit of a mystery how a centrist-to-left political operative would cooperate with Brexit and far-right Republican campaigns.
  bfister | Jul 9, 2020 |
To my parents, Kevin and Joan, who taught me to be brave, to stand up for myself, and to do the right thing.
With each step, my new shoes dug into my heels.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,358,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible