Hollywood Wants to Kill You: The Peculiar Science of Death in the Movies

by Michael Brooks

931,580,514 (4.67)None

At first I was afraid, I was petrified ... Seriously, when I saw this book, I thought the authors took a lot of movies and spoiled them. Well, they didn't. Spoil a lot of them I mean. The book still contains some spoilers but you are warned ahead (sometimes). The book actually describes different ways to die and for each type of death it finds reference in a Hollywood movie. I enjoyed and learned some new stuff along the way. Money well spent. ( )
  jakatomc | Dec 30, 2020 |
  jakatomc | Dec 30, 2020 |
I absolutely loved the book. It was not what I imagined it to be, especially with the title "Hollywood wants to kill you." It might have been clearer if the title was just "The Peculiar Science of Death in Movies" I love the in-depth science the book goes into. It explains why Hollywood chooses to involve deaths in their movies, why we enjoy watching heroes fight for their lives and for other people's lives, and whether or not these deaths (i.e., by viruses, artificial intelligence, meteors, etc) are plausible and if they are, how they are plausible. It's also not as jargon-filled as you would expect but the book does dive into the science quite often so both science-smarts and casual fans will be able to enjoy the book. I definitely recommend it! ( )
  Allyseria7 | Oct 1, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,866,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible