Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Little, Brown Book of Anecdotes by…

The Little, Brown Book of Anecdotes (original 1985; edition 1985)

by Clifton Fadiman (Editor)

A book compiled of anecdotes from other collections, arranged under the name of the person they're about.
Member:Chartboy03
Title:The Little, Brown Book of Anecdotes
Authors:Clifton Fadiman (Editor)
Info:Little, Brown & Co. (1985), Edition: 1st, 751 pages

The Little, Brown Book of Anecdotes by Clifton Fadiman (Editor) (1985)

Recently added bykmfiske, private library, Snipefu, nicdevera, welchah, Jhandel, Chartboy03, eremiticlife, JanetMEmbrey

One juicy one after another, after another, after another. Most are funny, a few are wistful. None are both. ( )
  jburlinson | Apr 5, 2011 |
This is my "desert island book". I've read this maybe 10 to 15 times, always straight through. Hang out with all the great personalities of western history, but only for those 5 minute periods when they are funniest or at their most interesting. My hard copy has rings from the beer cans placed upon it, has fallen into a pool, and I plan on handing it down to my first born. If he does not appreciate it, I will beat him over the head with it as it is hard cover and weighty. I sniped this from my father's bookshelf when home from college 14 years ago, I guess he used it never or once when he had to make a speech or something. ( )
2 vote bradleygilbert | Nov 8, 2008 |
And once when saying his prayers, which he
[Sydney Smith] always did out loud, he was
overheard to say: "Now Lord, I'll tell you an
anecdote."
-Patrick Mahoney
Barbed Wit and Malicious Humor
[Introduction] How far back do anecdotes go?
[Publisher's Note] This book is for the most part a collection of anecdotes about readily identifiable people.
AARON, Henry Louis ["Hank"] (1934- ), US baseball player.
Nicholas Murray Butler and Professor Brander Matthews of Columbia University were having a conversation and Professor Matthews was giving his ideas as to plagiarism, from an article of his own on that subject. "In the case of the first man to use an anecdote," he said, "there is originality; in the case of the second, there is plagiarism; with the third, it is lack of originality; and with the fourth it is drawing from a common stock."
"Yes," broke in President Butler, "and in the case of the fifth, it is research."
-- B.A. Botkin

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,610,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible