Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

An Uncommon Woman

by Laura Frantz

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thank you to Librarything.com for picking me to win a FREE ARC Copy of this book back in October 2019!!

I really enjoyed this book that was set in 1770 West Virginia!! The characters, plot and setting were all very enjoyable and easy to get into. It was very hard to put this book down!!

Can't wait to read more books by Laura in the future!! Wish i could of rated it 10 stars instead of 5 stars!! ( )
  Sheila_Samuelson | Apr 3, 2020 |
Title: An Uncommon Woman
Author: Laura Frantz
Pages: e-book
Year: 2020
Publisher: Revell
My rating is 4 out of 5 stars.
Tessa Swan is a young frontier woman, living in the territory that will eventually become West Virginia in 1770. Native Americans are a real and deadly threat. There is a fort nearby, but otherwise there is little protection from them. Tessa’s father was killed in an Indian raid, and her older brother Jasper has a deep and bitter hate toward Indians as a result. Tessa lives with her mother and brothers. Her best friend when she was younger was captured by Indians, which has left a void in her life ever since. Word has been received that a commander is on the way for the fort speculation among the settlers rises as to who might be a likely candidate for his wife. Many think Tessa will fill that role. However, upon his arrival, another woman may become Mrs. Tygart.
Clay Tygart is a man who was captured by Indians as a child, then returned to a Quaker family not his own. He has served in the Seven Years War valiantly. The local fort in the West Virginia territory is named after him. He has left civilization for the fort to take command of the fort, organize the settlers and hopefully keep everyone safe. Along with him on the trail are his two African American friends, who are freed slaves, Mattie and Jude, as well as a former captive of the Lenape tribe who is to be reunited with her family after several years in captivity. However, not everyone is accepting of the newly returned woman, especially Tessa’s brother Jasper. She fears what he might do to this woman who still speaks the Lenape language and conducts herself as a Native American.
I enjoy this author’s works because of the rich details included about the time period, the setting/landscape, the food, the clothing and the way of life lived at that time. I like history and learning and find the colonial time period in the early formation of America interesting. This story was a little slow with lots of conversation and rehashing of events. I would have liked the romance to play a little more of a role in the story and perhaps a little more action, but this was still a good historical novel. I look forward to reading this author’s next historical work, which will be filled with interesting history!
Note: The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. ( )
  lamb521 | Mar 29, 2020 |
This is a story that I will remember and it is a book that I will read again! Author Laura Frantz swept me away with Clay and Tessa's adventure and as I read it, I kept thinking "Movie, movie, this needs to be movie." I grew up watching TV westerns and An Uncommon Woman has it all: a hero who was kidnapped by Indians, returned to civilization, and is now the commander of Fort Tygart; a brave but very stubborn young girl who has turned into a true frontier woman; and the hardships of frontier life in 1770. Clay Tygart is very hesitant but he soon experiences a strong attraction to Tessa Swan and she also feels their connection but their relationship faces many obstacles. Frantz's ability to paint with words illustrates the differences in courtship then and now and she also paints a vivid description of 18th century Virginia and the dangers that were always present. Best of all, however, she offers us a view of the faith and determination that was needed to survive during those perilous times.

If you enjoy Christian historical fiction filled with danger, adventure, and romance, you will certainly want to read An Uncommon Woman by Laura Frantz. It is indeed a keeper!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author. There was no obligation to post a review and I am voluntarily sharing my own thoughts. ( )
1 vote fcplcataloger | Feb 29, 2020 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An Uncommon Woman, written by Laura Frantz, tells the tale of Tessa Swan and Clay Tygart, two atypical people living in the 18th-century western Virginian wilderness. ...more ( )
  K_T_C | Feb 19, 2020 |
Unflinching and plainspoken, Tessa Swan is not your typical 18th-century woman. Born and bred on the western Virginia frontier along with her five brothers, she is a force to be reckoned with.

Quiet and courageous, Clay Tygart is not your typical 18th-century man. Raised by Lenape Indians, he returns a hero from the French and Indian War to the fort that bears his name, bringing with him Tessa's long-lost friend, Keturah, a redeemed Indian captive like himself.

Determined to avoid any romantic entanglements as fort commander, Clay remains aloof whenever he encounters the lovely Tessa. But when she is taken captive by the tribe Clay left, his hand--and heart--are forced, leading to one very private and one very public reckoning.

Intense, evocative, and laced with intricate historical details that bring the past to life, An Uncommon Woman will transport you to the picturesque and dangerous western Virginia mountains of 1770. ( )
  polarmath | Jan 27, 2020 |
This book was just amazing. I have loved every book I have read from Laura Frantz. What a talented author. Her ability to describe her scenes to the best detail is absolute genius.

The book is written about 18th century America. A time when people were settling new frontiers and facing elements, Indians and many, many human hardships and trials. This book totally encompasses this time frame in history. The well-researched book about a very strong frontierswoman, Tessa, brings to life her adventures as she helps to forge a way through the trials of Indian territory.

It is so hard to imagine living in this time when each day could bring the unexpected Indian raid, loss of life and family.

As she meets Clay Tygart, their romance is quiet and at first not to be acted upon in his calling as fort commander. Yet, you can feel their attraction and it keeps you reading to see where it goes.

To watch the character Keturah be taken by Indians was heart wrenching. But to see the woman she becomes was also fascinating.

Tessa was definitely a strong character, perfect for her situation and always ready to serve in anyway she can. She always steps up to the needs each time.

I was so happy to be able to read such a well written, and detailed book. It's depth kept me reading and loving every page of it. It was full of adventure and action. No dull moments!

I received a copy of this book from Revell Publishing. All thoughts are my own.
added by Sonja.Hoeke.Nish7358 | editRevell, Sonja Nishimoto

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Laura Frantz's book An Uncommon Woman was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,508,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible