The Book of Longings: A Novel by Sue Monk…

The Book of Longings: A Novel (original 2020; edition 2020)

by Sue Monk Kidd (Author)

"In her fourth work of fiction, Sue Monk Kidd brings her acclaimed narrative gifts to imagine the story of a young woman named Ana. Raised in a wealthy family in Sepphoris with ties to the ruler of Galilee, she is rebellious and ambitious, a relentless seeker with a brilliant, curious mind and a daring spirit. She yearns for a pursuit worthy of her life, but finds no outlet for her considerable talents. Defying the expectations placed on women, she engages in furtive scholarly pursuits and writes secret narratives about neglected and silenced women. When she meets the eighteen-year-old Jesus, each is drawn to and enriched by the other's spiritual and philosophical ideas. He becomes a floodgate for her intellect, but also the awakener of her heart. Their marriage unfolds with love and conflict, humor and pathos in Nazareth, where Ana makes a home with Jesus, his brothers, James and Simon, and their mother, Mary. Here, Ana's pent-up longings intensify amid the turbulent resistance to the Roman occupation of Israel, partially led by her charismatic adopted brother, Judas. She is sustained by her indomitable aunt Yaltha, who is searching for her long-lost daughter, as well as by other women, including her friend Tabitha, who is sold into slavery after she was raped, and Phasaelis, the shrewd wife of Herod Antipas. Ana's impetuous streak occasionally invites danger. When one such foray forces her to flee Nazareth for her safety shortly before Jesus's public ministry begins, she makes her way with Yaltha to Alexandria, where she eventually finds refuge and purpose in unexpected surroundings. Grounded in meticulous historical research and written with a reverential approach to Jesus's life that focuses on his humanity, The Book of Longings is an inspiring account of one woman's bold struggle to realize the passion and potential inside her, while living in a time, place, and culture devised to silence her"--… (more)
Member:lemeeks
Title:The Book of Longings: A Novel
Authors:Sue Monk Kidd (Author)
Info:Viking (2020), 432 pages

The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd (2020)

Overall, I really loved this book. I grew up attending Catholic school, so I know the stories of Jesus like the back of my hand. Like Ana, I have always lamented the lack of female presence in scripture, so this book filled my soul with delight as it cast women as the main characters driving the story forward. Regardless of religious preferences, I highly recommend this book to all readers. I hope you will find the joy that I did.

see storyeyed.blog for full review ( )
  Chinesa72 | Jul 28, 2021 |
Imagine that Jesus had a wife. Not Mary Magdalene as proposed in The DaVinci Code and any other number of books ranging from fictional to scholarly. Imagine that Jesus, in the years between reaching manhood and beginning his public role as prophet and visionary, when he lived as an ordinary Jewish man, fulfilling the ordinary expectations regarding family life, had a wife. Who would that woman have been, the one who formed a lifelong bond with a man who would become increasingly focused on a nonviolent struggle to free the Jewish people? What were her interests? What drove her? What did she do as Jesus left home for longer and longer periods of time traveling the Jewish world? What was her relationship to G-d?

In The Book of Longings Sue Monk Kidd creates her own set of answers to these questions—imagined, not factual, but grounded in careful research into the time period and region. The beauty of her answer and the reason this book succeeds are due to the completeness with which she depicts Ana: wife of Jesus, aspiring scribe at a time when few women were literate, theological skeptic, who moves across geographical and class boundaries.

The Book of Longings is both engaging and surprising, deeply moving, and a testimony to the strength of women across time. Highly recommended.

I received a free electronic review copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. The Opinions are my own. ( )
  Sarah-Hope | Jul 25, 2021 |
Ana is a young woman engaged to be married to an older widower. She is horrified at the prospect. She wants to be a scholar. However, this is not an option for her. She meets Jesus one day and is captivated by his charm and kindness. This changes her stars but it is a process with some damage along the way.

There is so much encompassed in this novel. What captured my attention more than most was Ana’s plight. The struggle women went through just to survive and not be considered cattle.

Talk about a fabulous historical fiction tale! Sometimes authors try too hard when it comes to the subject of Jesus. Most authors try to make it about religion and beliefs. Not this author! She captured the love of Jesus. She also nailed the time period and the landscape as well. I felt like I was right there in the story!

Since I was behind in my reviews, I decided to get this with one of my audible credits. The narrator, Mozhan Marno is fantastic. The perfect inflection and right amount of attitude when needed!

Need a good story which will take you away….THIS IS IT! Grab your copy today! ( )
  fredreeca | Jun 17, 2021 |
Sharon
  chapterthree | Jun 2, 2021 |
The fictional wife of Jesus, Ana, did not keep my interest, and did not finish. ( )
  myers3 | Mar 1, 2021 |

Kidd, Sue Monkprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wood, SaraCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am the first and the last
I am she who is honored and she who is mocked
I am the whore and the holy woman
I am the wife and the virgin
I am the mother and the daughter
I am she . . .
Do not be afraid of my power . . .
I am the knowledge of my name
I am the name of the sound and the sound of the name

THE THUNDER: PERFECT MIND
Knock upon yourself as on a door,
and walk upon yourself as on a straight road.
For if you walk on that road, you cannot get lost,
and what you open for yourself will open.

GOSPEL OF THOMAS
For my daughter, Ann
     with all my love
I am Ana.
"A man's holy of holies contains God's laws, but inside a woman's there are only longings."
I am what everyone can hear and no one can say

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,586,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible