Becoming Duchess Goldblatt (2020)

by Anonymous

"Part memoir and part joyful romp through the fields of imagination, the story behind a beloved pseudonymous Twitter account reveals how a writer deep in grief rebuilt a life worth living"--
Recently added byprivate library, harvrabb, nobooksnolife, koalakt, jlabarge, alexfatch

Anonymous - Becoming Duchess Goldblatt: I would like to become Goldblattian. I’ll get to work on it, my sweetheart candies. #cursorybookreviews #cursoryreviews ( )
  khage | Feb 14, 2021 |
After losing family and friendships in a bitter divorce, a lonely writer comes up with a convivial alter ego on Twitter. Her creation catches on, and suddenly the lonely writer finds herself hobnobbing with the likes of author Mary McCracken and singer/songwriter Lyle Lovett.

While I don't follow Duchess Goldblatt on social media and find her observations a little too cloying for my tastes, I did admire at least some of this book. In parts, it’s as sharp a portrait of profound loneliness as I have ever seen. But I grew tired of love for Duchess being celebrated as a veritable “litmus test” (Lyle Lovett’s words) of all that is “nice...kind and fun and smart” (217). It’s a bit much. Recommended for Duchess’s fans. ( )
  akblanchard | Jan 13, 2021 |
That was mostly fun! I'm almost tempted (but unlikely) to check out Duchess Goldblatt on Twitter. ( )
  joyblue | Nov 28, 2020 |
Truly a wonderful memoir of a writer and her Twitter persona, who is so loving and generous, witty and inventive of mind, that she sometimes leaves one breathless in reading her tweets or this book. After getting slammed by life's tragedies, the narrator invents a persona who is stronger than her, but over time the personas begin to meld, and you see that she really is "Becoming Duchess Goldblatt"—the kinder, gentler, smart, clever, and gifted lady that she is. ( )
  sungene | Aug 31, 2020 |
A woman takes on an alternate ego and posts on-line - taking on qualities she has only ever admired in others - especially her father. Feeling abandoned by most of her circle of friends and family following a divorce, our anonymous author recreates herself as an on-line phenomenon. Along the way, we get snippets of her advice and random posts to [we assume] Twitter and get the inside story on her relationship with Lyle Lovett. Overall a tad too forced and self-serving for me at times, but still a fun read. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jul 21, 2020 |

Lovett, LyleNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith-Cameron, J.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zackman, GabraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For M.
When the house burns down, so to speak, there's no guarantee that anybody will stick around to help sweep up.
Quit hounding me, children.
You don't need to know everything.
I was only a teenager, but I saw what was in my father's mind: of us two children, I was, in that moment, the greater disappointment. Nobody expects anything from the prodigal son, but the one who's steadfast has been given greater gifts. We know the dutiful child can do better, and we need her to. (Chapter 14, p.121 (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (2020))

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,459,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible