The Devil and the Dark Water: A Locked-Room…

The Devil and the Dark Water: A Locked-Room Historical Mystery (original 2020; edition 2020)

by Stuart Turton (Author)

A murder on the high seas. A remarkable detective duo. A demon who may or may not exist. The extraordinary new novel from Stuart Turton, author of the bestselling The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, winner of the Costa Best First Novel Award. It's 1634 and Samuel Pipps, the world's greatest detective, is being transported to Amsterdam to be executed for a crime he may, or may not, have committed. Traveling with him is his loyal bodyguard, Arent Hayes, who is determined to prove his friend innocent. But no sooner are they out to sea than devilry begins to blight the voyage. A twice-dead leper stalks the decks. Strange symbols appear on the sails. Livestock is slaughtered. And then three passengers are marked for death, including Samuel. Could a demon be responsible for their misfortunes? With Pipps imprisoned, only Arent can solve a mystery that connects every passenger. A mystery that stretches back into their past and now threatens to sink the ship, killing everybody on board.… (more)
Member:EastTriC
Title:The Devil and the Dark Water: A Locked-Room Historical Mystery
Authors:Stuart Turton (Author)
Info:Sourcebooks Landmark (2020), 480 pages

Work Information

The Devil and the Dark Water by Stuart Turton (2020)

Recently added byJoeB1934, Ygraine, Silenostar, emaestra, sfyates425, tuusannuuska, private library, ariel1234987

English (36)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (38)
Very gripping read!

This is my 2nd book by Turton and while I love the 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle more, this was a great read. I love Turton’s writing style and short chapters to move the story along. My only disappointment was with the last outcome. Very Hollywood ending leaving opening for sequels. ( )
  bookburner451 | Nov 19, 2022 |
Dear Mr. Turton, you happen to write the types of books I like to read. The Devil and the Dark Water is a literary version of the game Clue, played with a tarot deck, with cards like: the giant, the dwarf, the monster, the maiden...This book is the brain child of Murder On The Orient Express but with the ocean as the new setting.
With a cast of characters as unique as in The 71/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, this is one entertaining read. ( )
  GrettelTBR | Nov 15, 2022 |
*4.5
  Fortunesdearest | Oct 23, 2022 |

ayoshina | Jul 31, 2022 |
A good mystery set against the 18th century high seas in the hey-day of the Dutch East India trading empire. Well written, it keeps you guessing. Just when you think you have it sorted, there’s another twist to make you teconsider.

I did find the decisions and justifications of the characters at the end reflected a disturbing vigilante mindset. ( )
  AMKitty | Jul 26, 2022 |

Stuart Turtonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Faccini, EmilyMapmakersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mann, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McNaughton, DanielleDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, James CameronNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor Ada,

Je bent nu twee jaar oud, en terwijl ik dit schrijf lig je te slapen in je bedje. Jij, wonderlijk wezentje dat ons zo vaak aan het lachen maakt. Tegen de tijd dat je dit leest ben je alweer een stuk ouder. En veranderd. Ik hoop dat we dan nog steeds dikke maatjes zijn. En dat ik een goede papa ben. Dat ik niet te veel fouten maak en dat je het me vergeeft als ik toch iets verkeerd doe. Want eerlijk gezegd heb ik soms geen idee waar ik mee bezig ben. Maar ik doe wel altijd mijn stinkende best.

Lief klein meisje, ik hou van je. Dit boek draag ik op aan jou, wie je ook bent en nog zult worden
To Ada.

Right now, you’re two years old, asleep in your cot. You’re very strange and you make us laugh a lot. By the time you read this, you’ll be somebody else entirely. I hope we’re still pals. I hope I’m a good dad. I hope I don’t make too many mistakes and you forgive the ones I do. Truth is, I have no idea what I’m doing. But I’m always trying hard.

I love you, kid. This is for you. Whoever you’ve become.
Arent Hayes brulde van de pijn toen een steen als een mokerslag tegen zijn brede rug beukte.
In 1634, the United East India Company was the wealthiest trading company in existence, with outposts spread across Asia and the Cape.

It's 1634, and Samuel Pipps, the world's greatest detective, is being transported to Amsterdam to be executed for a crime he may, or may not, have committed. Traveling with him is his loyal bodyguard, Arent Hayes, who is determined to prove his friend innocent. Among the other guests is Sara Wessel, a noblewoman with a secret. But no sooner is their ship out to sea than devilry begins to blight the voyage. A strange symbol appears on the sail. A dead leper stalks the decks. Livestock dies in the night. And then the passengers hear a terrible voice, whispering to them in the darkness, promising three unholy miracles, followed by a slaughter. With Pipps imprisoned, only Arent and Sara can solve a mystery that stretches back into their past and now threatens to sink the ship, killing everybody on board.
Demon on board ship
Mayhem, murder, mutiny
Don't believe your eyes
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,450,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible