Girl at Sea by Maureen Johnson

Girl at Sea (2007)

by Maureen Johnson

I'm not exactly sure how to categorize this book but I would say it's like YA Chick Lit. Sometimes it's great to just sit and read a simple, nice story (which this book was). This book actually managed to get me out of a reading slump so I was very pleased with it. I don't want to spoil or give anything away so I'll just end this review stating that I liked the book and plan to look into more of the author's other novels. ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
(3.5 stars) It was entertaining and funny, but slightly annoying the rest of the time. I didn't get the whole point of keeping things a secret. I really hated how whiny Clio could be but It also annoyed me how they treated her. I still enjoyed most of the book though. ( )
  miss_booklion | Nov 6, 2016 |
Not quite as good as her others. It took me a while to get into it. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
I love when authors take me on unexpecetd turns. Also, a good booik is one where I feel I have learned something. I was disappointed in the ending, which kept me from giving this 5 stars. ( )
  Lauralmoe | Jan 10, 2014 |
Much like with Devilish, I rank this among the weaker of Maureen Johnson’s works. I like the plot, I the characters, and I like the set-up…until I get to the end and I’m left going “Wait, what?” And I end up wanting so much more from it than what I got.

The premise is very strong. I like the set-up of Clio having to be shipped off to sea with her not-very reliable dad and having come to terms with their relationship. I like that Clio is frustrated with no one telling her exactly why they’re on this trip in the first place and that she also calls people out for keeping secrets from her. It’s mentioned later on that Clio’s brash personality is the result of the accident that drove her parents’ marriage apart, but I really didn’t get that from her. (More like she was brash and bitchy because no one would tell her anything.)

Aside from the sudden “Omg, you like the designated love interest, you’re now my rival,” I also really liked Elsa’s character. (Oh, how I hate the automatic rival. Haaaate.) I liked that she’s just as frustrated as Clio with the situation and responds with booze and trying to make the best of everything. Aidan is okay, although his only purpose is to be the frustrating love interest—I wish there had there been more to flesh him out. I do wish that the adults had been more fleshed out, specifically, Clio’s dad and Julia. (I did like that Julia and Clio start warming up to one another.)

There are several reasons why this doesn’t work for me. First, there are several flashbacks interspersed throughout the book detailing the life of Maguerite Magwell and her continuing her father’s archeology work. I get the thematic reasons of including in them, but largely they feel like they’re hitting the reader over the head repeatedly. The flashbacks also don’t help in that you can guess what Clio’s father and Julia are looking for very early on in the book and Clio herself doesn’t find out why until about a hundred and fifty pages in.

Second, Clio’s aforementioned brash personality when it comes to guys. We only ever see her interact with two love interests in the whole book. We rarely get any mention of previous crushes/love interests. It just doesn’t fit anywhere. I didn’t get the idea that she was brash; Clio feels very much like a teenage girl throughout the whole thing. And the whole lead-up in the climax and Clio’s growth is that she’s never been kissed. I don’t mind the romance angle in this, but it feels like her growth should have been more with her father than rather making out with Aidan.

And there’s the random thugs who show up in the end. What. Just…what. Again, they’re barely alluded to early on, and it feels like a last minute addition to the book.

It’s an enjoyable read, but I have a lot of issues with the developments. I want more from this book, and in comparison to Maureen Johnson’s other books, this really comes up short.
  princess-starr | Mar 31, 2013 |

Maureen Johnsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Shen, AnnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Mary Marguerite Johnson,

the world's greatest mother,

arguably its best nurse,

and the person likely to find

the most safety violations in this story
Lightning flashed over Big Ben, and a bruise-like darkness draped over the dome of St.Paul's.

Sometimes you have to get lost . . .

The Girl: Clio Ford, seventeen, wants to spend the summer smooching her art-store crush, not stuck on a boat in the Mediterranean. At least she'll get a killer tan.

The Mission: Survive her father's crazy antics. Oh, and also find some missing underwater treasure that could unlock the secrets of civilization.

The Crew: Dad's wacky best friend Martin, his bizarre research partner Julia, her voluptuous daughter Elsa . . . and then there's Aidan, Julia's incredibly attractive, incredibly arrogant assistant.

What's going on behind Aidan's intellectual, intensely green eyes, anyway?

As Clio sails into uncharted territory she unveils secrets that have the power to change history. But her most surprising discovery is that there's something deeper and more cryptic than the sea—her own heart.

. . . to find what you're looking for

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:07 -0400)

High-school junior Clio Ford reluctantly gives up her dream job and a potential first kiss to take a working vacation with her estranged father on a yacht in Italy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,406,775 books! | Top bar: Always visible