Untamed

by Glennon Doyle

#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER * Reese's Book Club x Hello Sunshine Book Pick In her most revealing and powerful memoir yet, the activist, speaker, bestselling author, and "patron saint of female empowerment" (People) explores the joy and peace we discover when we stop striving to meet others' expectations and start trusting the voice deep within us. "Untamed will liberate women--emotionally, spiritually, and physically. It is phenomenal."--Elizabeth Gilbert, author of City of Girls and Eat Pray Love This is how you find yourself. There is a voice of longing inside each woman. We strive so mightily to be good: good partners, daughters, mothers, employees, and friends. We hope all this striving will make us feel alive. Instead, it leaves us feeling weary, stuck, overwhelmed, and underwhelmed. We look at our lives and wonder: Wasn't it all supposed to be more beautiful than this? We quickly silence that question, telling ourselves to be grateful, hiding our discontent--even from ourselves. For many years, Glennon Doyle denied her own discontent. Then, while speaking at a conference, she looked at a woman across the room and fell instantly in love. Three words flooded her mind: There She Is. At first, Glennon assumed these words came to her from on high. But she soon realized they had come to her from within. This was her own voice--the one she had buried beneath decades of numbing addictions, cultural conditioning, and institutional allegiances. This was the voice of the girl she had been before the world told her who to be. Glennon decided to quit abandoning herself and to instead abandon the world's expectations of her. She quit being good so she could be free. She quit pleasing and started living. Soulful and uproarious, forceful and tender, Untamed is both an intimate memoir and a galvanizing wake-up call. It is the story of how one woman learned that a responsible mother is not one who slowly dies for her children, but one who shows them how to fully live. It is the story of navigating divorce, forming a new blended family, and discovering that the brokenness or wholeness of a family depends not on its structure but on each member's ability to bring her full self to the table. And it is the story of how each of us can begin to trust ourselves enough to set boundaries, make peace with our bodies, honor our anger and heartbreak, and unleash our truest, wildest instincts so that we become women who can finally look at ourselves and say: There She Is. Untamed shows us how to be brave. As Glennon insists: The braver we are, the luckier we get.… (more)

English (20)  Dutch (1)  All languages (21)
Genuinely how am I supposed to take a memoir where the auther describes how she has to explain to her (old enough to shower alone) daughter what "thinking" is.

I'm not joking. Everyone read this and be grateful I typed it out for you, because I had to listen to the audiobook passage three times to make sure I had it right and I felt my IQ dropping every time.

"
'Or it could be the shower's the only place you're not plugged in, so you can hear your own thoughts in there.'
She looked at me and said 'hu?'
'That thing that happens to you in the shower babe. It's called 'thinking' it's something folks did before google. Thinking is like, it's like googling your own brain.'
'Oh' She said, 'Cool'
"

I'm sorry but this is the single dumbest thing I've read in almost a year. IIs this woman serious? This whole book is just one big post on facebook where someone brags about conversations they never had in order to make themselves look smart. ( )
  shotagofish | May 3, 2021 |
Good message, sure, I liked it at first, but then it got real old..I'm all for being positive and sharing your story, but this book felt more like a pat on the back "good, you did amazing, you do good, no go and show them" it's like this book is there to prove others wrong? I really like the message behind it, which is why I give it two stars, but yeah, no. That'll be it for me. It got so long that every time I would start to read it, I would doze off! She seems to be a kind woman, though. ( )
  iamcmims | Apr 4, 2021 |
A little uncomfortable to read sometimes but overall a very insightful book. This was a library ebook and I think I am going to buy my own copy. It seems to be the type of book or essays that you would go back and re-read from time to time. ( )
  NixieH | Mar 28, 2021 |
Mixed feelings

I think I want to rate this book 2 1/2. Parts of it were good, but it read much like a self-help book. It also seemed preachy at times. ( )
  LindaLoretz | Mar 15, 2021 |
Jill Celeste's book review of Untamed by Glennon DoyleGlennon Doyle opens up her latest book, Untamed, with a story from an animal park. The zookeeper introduces a Labrador, Minnie, who is best friends with Tabitha the cheetah. Minnie’s job, since Tabitha was a baby cheetah, was to keep Tabitha tamed.

Glennon’s heart connected with Tabitha. Tamed. Like so many women.

Glennon’s memoir is a story of becoming untamed. It’s the appropriate next chapter to Love Warrior, where Glennon shares her story on how she saved her marriage. In Untamed, Glennon sheds her tamed skin, by leaving her husband, falling in love and marrying Abby Wambach, and raising her children.

She tears up “memos” about how to raise daughters, respect your mother’s opinion, and what family looks like. Being untamed is not an overnight process, for sure, but with Glennon’s stories and inspiration, you’ll feel ready to take the journey.

Glennon’s writing style is gorgeous to read, and I love how each chapter reads like a standalone essay. I felt saddened when Glennon deals with her sadness, but I always felt empowered. I want to be untamed too!

MY BIG TAKEAWAYS:
#1: Your broken heart is the beginning of your changemaker journey.
I teach changemakers in Celestial University, and one thing I see they have in common a recovering broken heart. And that broken heart inspires them to change the world in some way.

Glennon writes “Heartbreak delivers your purpose. If you are brave enough to accept that delivery and seek out the people doing that particular world-changing work, you find your people.” (page 269)

Changemakers maneuver through their despair until they reach courage – courage to share their message, their story, and their purpose. Beautiful!

#2: Loud women make women uncomfortable.
Glennon also notices a phenomenon among women. When a woman takes her rightful place, other women start to dislike her – for reasons they’re not even sure why. Perhaps the woman exudes an air of entitlement or makes us aware of our timid ways.

“There’s just something about her” becomes the core of this disdain.

This reminded me of Senator Elizabeth Warren when she ran for president. I can’t tell you how many women shook their head and felt uncomfortable with Senator Warren’s loudness. When pressed, these women couldn’t tell you exactly why they disliked Senator Warren. “There’s just something about her.”

Women, we need to do a better job supporting fellow women who are getting loud. We need to stop tearing down strong women – or we won’t have any strong women left.

HOW UNTAMED RELATES TO ENTREPRENEURS:
Female entrepreneurs are here to change the world. To do this, we must become untamed. We have to shake off our societal conditioning of modesty, silence, and self-reserve. The patriarchy wants us to be quiet and self-doubting, but it does not serve women. Ever.

If you need a boost of self-empowerment, Untamed is the book for you. Not only will it empower you as an entrepreneur, you will feel empowered as a lover, daughter, sister, mother, and friend. ( )
  mrstreme | Feb 19, 2021 |
For every woman resurrecting herself.

For the girls who will never be buried.

Mostly, for Tish.
Two summers ago, my wife and I took our daughters to the zoo.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,749,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible