Untamed

by Glennon Doyle

#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER * "Packed with incredible insight about what it means to be a woman today."--Reese Witherspoon (Reese's Book Club x Hello Sunshine Book Pick) In her most revealing and powerful memoir yet, the activist, speaker, bestselling author, and "patron saint of female empowerment" (People) explores the joy and peace we discover when we stop striving to meet others' expectations and start trusting the voice deep within us. "Untamed will liberate women--emotionally, spiritually, and physically. It is phenomenal."--Elizabeth Gilbert, author of City of Girls and Eat Pray Love This is how you find yourself. There is a voice of longing inside each woman. We strive so mightily to be good: good partners, daughters, mothers, employees, and friends. We hope all this striving will make us feel alive. Instead, it leaves us feeling weary, stuck, overwhelmed, and underwhelmed. We look at our lives and wonder: Wasn't it all supposed to be more beautiful than this? We quickly silence that question, telling ourselves to be grateful, hiding our discontent--even from ourselves. For many years, Glennon Doyle denied her own discontent. Then, while speaking at a conference, she looked at a woman across the room and fell instantly in love. Three words flooded her mind: There She Is. At first, Glennon assumed these words came to her from on high. But she soon realized they had come to her from within. This was her own voice--the one she had buried beneath decades of numbing addictions, cultural conditioning, and institutional allegiances. This was the voice of the girl she had been before the world told her who to be. Glennon decided to quit abandoning herself and to instead abandon the world's expectations of her. She quit being good so she could be free. She quit pleasing and started living. Soulful and uproarious, forceful and tender, Untamed is both an intimate memoir and a galvanizing wake-up call. It is the story of how one woman learned that a responsible mother is not one who slowly dies for her children, but one who shows them how to fully live. It is the story of navigating divorce, forming a new blended family, and discovering that the brokenness or wholeness of a family depends not on its structure but on each member's ability to bring her full self to the table. And it is the story of how each of us can begin to trust ourselves enough to set boundaries, make peace with our bodies, honor our anger and heartbreak, and unleash our truest, wildest instincts so that we become women who can finally look at ourselves and say: There She Is. Untamed shows us how to be brave. As Glennon insists: The braver we are, the luckier we get.… (more)

English (38)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (41)
I don't think this book was meant for me, but I appreciate the work of exposing yourself your life and your heart, especially when that life is one of change. ( )
  MallorieLuna | Mar 27, 2022 |
Bite-size essays about love as being free and held. Interesting perspective about the need to periodically destroy everything that is no longer true in order to create a braver more authentic life, especially for women. ( )
  AngelaLam | Feb 8, 2022 |
An eye-opening, semi-autobiographical examination of social norms and how they dictate our thinking and behaviour. Doyle beautifully describes how our socially structured and imposed systems of belief cloud our innate personal judgement, preventing us from being our genuine selves and living our true lives. This is a relevant, inclusive, non-threatening and inspiring book. This is a great starting point for all (especially Gen X and Boomers who may find some feminist style writing a little alarming and smash-the-state). A must-read. ( )
  SarahEBear | Jan 23, 2022 |
All the feels--so much so that I started writing how each chapter made me feel at the end of them, just 1-2 words. Empathy. Anger. Sadness. Confusion. Guilt. Helplessness. Some hard truths throughout, applicable to things I'm currently experiencing. Read over two days in a matter of hours. ( )
1 vote ms_rowse | Jan 1, 2022 |
Could not finish this book. ( )
  LadyHMac | Oct 23, 2021 |
For every woman resurrecting herself.

For the girls who will never be buried.

Mostly, for Tish.
Two summers ago, my wife and I took our daughters to the zoo.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,947,690 books! | Top bar: Always visible