The Beast of Beswick

by Amalie Howard

Series: The Regency Rogues (1)

"Lord Nathaniel Harte, the disagreeable Duke of Beswick, spends his days smashing porcelain, antagonizing his servants, and snarling at anyone who gets too close. With a ruined face like his, it's hard to like much about the world. Especially smart-mouthed harpies--with lips better suited to kissing than speaking--who brave his castle with indecent proposals. But Lady Astrid Everleigh will stop at nothing to see her younger sister safe from a notorious scoundrel, even if it means offering herself up on a silver platter to the forbidding Beast of Beswick himself. And by offer, she means what no highborn lady of sound and sensible mind would ever dream of--a tender of marriage with her as his bride."--Page 4 of cover… (more)

The heroine was a bit ridiculous at first, being illogical and hypocritical and rash. You can't literally force your way into someone's home (especially a bachelor's home when you're unwed and unchaperoned) and then be all indignant and scold them for being rude or improproper. You've kind of lost the seat on your high horse by that point! Also she's asking him for a favor as well as trying to strike a bargain, but then is kind of snippy like he was the one to approach her with this scenario and she's doing him a favor to consider it. But she improved. And the hero perhaps had one emotional withdrawal too many for my taste, but, meh. Overall a good story. ( )
  JorgeousJotts | Dec 3, 2021 |
This book has received good ratings on LT, but I disagree. It's talky and repetitive with an anachronistically feminist heroine and many random plotlines. The Beast is a duke who has been hideously scarred in battle and isolates himself in order to avoid people's cruel reactions to his appearance. The heroine offers him marriage because she needs a husband to protect herself and her sister from her mercenary uncle. There are many, many pages of sex scenes. If the author had left most of them out, as well as the repetition, the irrelevant plotlines and a lot of the talk, this book would have been about 100 pages long instead of 384. I skimmed a lot of the second half. ( )
  pamelad | Nov 2, 2021 |
I will happily give this ridiculous book 5 stars because I spent the 24 hours I was reading it practically giddy with amusement. It is none of the things I normally love in a book. It is not well-researched or historically accurate. It is filled with idioms and phrases that didn't appear in the English language until long after these characters would have been in their graves. But it won me over, dragging me away from initial annoyance, with genuinely likable characters and some pretty good sex scenes. I read it almost without stopping and I'm sure I'll read it again because it was fun, really fun.

hlkate | Oct 12, 2020 |
The Beast of Beswick by Amalie Howard

Historical romance with the premise loosely taken from the fairytale. Everleigh Sisters series book 1.
Astrid goes to the Duke of Beswick with a proposal to save her sister from a scoundrel.
High society drama and manipulation ensue.

Astrid is quite vocal about the rights, or lack thereof, for women in the time period. She is strong and courageous and will do anything for her sister. Astrid is also clever and unlikely to take no for an answer without having a backup plan. I loved her cunning and fortitude. And her compassion and spunk.
And while the Duke wouldn’t want us to feel sorry for him, he’s really a hero. Both at heart and actuality. That his servants love and look out for him, is telling.

Charming and entertaining. Amusing and sensitive. And sexy too. I don’t read a lot of historical romance so was pleasantly surprised by the heroine progressive attitudes. ( )
  Madison_Fairbanks | Oct 11, 2020 |

From start to end, the scandalously naughty Meg (my spirit animal) made this novel an instant hit and her encounters with Lucien and how easily she made him submit to her seductive ways were thus far my favorite scenes throughout my read . It had everything you're looking for: historical elements, tempting heroine, brooding hero and a whirlwind (more like instant love) romance that will surely knock you off your feet. I had this down in one sitting and it definitely felt a lot shorter than 200 pages. Nevertheless, a quick and easy read that any reader can find enjoyable.

ayoshina | Oct 2, 2020 |

Amalie Howardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nina NatoReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dreamscape Media, LlcPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Amalie Howard is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,551,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible