Seven Lies (2020)

by Elizabeth Kay

Oh, my goodness! What an obsessive friendship!

Narrated by Jane, this book covers the seven lies that Jane has told her best friend Marnie. They have been inseparable since they were eleven years old and have a lot in common. But once Charles enters Marnie’s life, Jane begins to feel insecure.

What follows is her sinister tale of obsession and toxic friendship. ( )
  Vanessa_Menezes | Mar 17, 2021 |
Seven Lies by Elizabeth Kay is a chilling story of friendship that I will not soon forget. Jane, as the narrator, talks directly to the reader, sometimes accurately, sometimes not so accurately, hence the title of the book. This leaves the reader feeling, at times, like a helpless observer. Jane and Marnie had been friends since childhood. When adulthood came, their close circle began to include love interests for both of the women. When Marnie fell in love and married, it was important to her that Jane like her new husband. Jane reassured her that she was happy for her and that she liked her spouse. That was lie number one. Six to go and you will need to read this novel to find out about the other lies. With each lie revealed, the tension intensifies and the reader cannot imagine what will come next. Highly recommended. Seven Lies was quite a ride and I look forward to reading more from Elizabeth Kay. Thank you to Penguin Random House Canada and NetGalley for the e-ARC in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  carole888fort | Aug 9, 2020 |
Many thanks to NetGalley, Elizabeth Kay, and Penguin Random House Canada for an ARC in exchange for an honest book review of Seven Lies. My thoughts and opinions are 100% my own and independent of receiving an advance copy.

Here we are with another book about liars. This is an extremely common theme that I have ranted about before. Don’t worry I’m not going to rant now. I just wish that we didn’t always have to deal with liars. Yes, I know that is inherently a problem when you are dealing with bad people. They tend to lie. So, ya, I’m starting to go down the rabbit hole.

What I liked and very much appreciated with this book is that the narrator is reliable. I was a little concerned that I was going to get to the end of the book and find out I had been lied to the whole time. It’s happened before. Which is why I was pleasantly surprised that this wasn’t the case.

This is a story about two best friends. Marnie and Jane. They met in middle school and have been inseparable since. Sharing secrets, sharing an apartment, their lives were intertwined. Then Marnie met Charles. And everything changed. Marnie moves out and all of a sudden Jane finds herself on the outside looking in. Not only does she feel like she is losing Marnie, she does not like Charles. But Marnie is in love and when she asks Jane if she likes Charles, Jane says she does. That is lie number one.

There are six more to go, but Jane believes that if she didn’t tell that first lie, maybe Charles would still be alive. This was a really good story. Jane, as a narrator, has vowed to tell the whole truth, just this once, to get everything off of her chest. Each chapter is another lie that Jane tells and is another step in the solution of how Charles died. The story has some really good elements and I was swept away. The ending is unexpected.

The friendship seems so sweet in the beginning but by the end you definitely get Single White Female vibes. Jane’s descent is slow and I felt for her because she almost had a shot at a happy life. How different her life would have been if it had worked out. You wonder about Marnie who seems oblivious to the cracks in Jane. I was also curious how Marnie never noticed the tension between Jane and Charles. I would have loved to have read the same story through Marnie’s perspective.

Even though you know Charles dies, there is still lots of story to be told. This is a great thriller and a really enjoyable read. ( )
  PinkPurlandProse | Jul 12, 2020 |
Seven Lies is Elizabeth Kay's newly released debut novel. And what a debut it is!

Jane and Marnie have been the best of friends since childhood. They have forged what seems to be an unbreakable bond despite being polar opposites. Jane is the first to change their dynamic by marrying. But when her husband dies, she wants to retreat back to the ways things were. But Marnie's life is moving on as well - she too has found a man. But....Jane doesn't like him very much. When Marnie asks her if she does in fact like him... well, that's the first lie she tells Marnie.

Kay does a fantastic job drawing these two characters. Jane is flat out scary. And obsessive. And she wants Marnie all to herself, to have Marnie need her. Marnie is eminently likeable. It's hard to see what she sees in Jane. But that just tells the reader how good Jane is at, well, at lying. Kay does a fantastic job at drawing the dialogue and interactions between the two. Jane's mother and sister are just as wounded and add to the dysfunctional feeling of Jane's life.

The reader sees everything through Jane's eyes. The book is told almost as a confession, with Jane detailing how things got to where they are. The next six lies are revealed as we come closer and closer the final pages. I didn't see what was coming with the end of her confession. Brilliant! And then to discover an epilogue that was just as unexpected. But perfect!

Disturbing, unsettling and an excellent original debut. No lie. If you like domestic noir and suspense, you need to pick up Seven Lies. ( )
  Twink | Jun 29, 2020 |
This is one of those books where I debated whether I wanted to know what was going to happen in the last quarter of the book. Should I just put it down because I knew it was going to get worse? I finished it, and although this mystery involving the narrator and seven lies she told about the murder of a friend’s husband was unsettling, its also one of the best mysteries I’ve read. Sociopaths are scary people. They can make the worst things seem so natural. The narrator’s voice is so seemingly kind, you get pulled right into the story. ( )
  brangwinn | Jun 28, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,479,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible