Light to Live by: An Exploration of Quaker…

Light to Live by: An Exploration of Quaker Spirituality

by Rex Ambler

904193,301 (4)1

The English version of the 2001 Cary Lecture
  FriendshipFLibrary | Jan 16, 2016 |
"This book describes a personal practice of meditation [of George Fox] which I discovered in early Friends and tells the story ... of my attempts to use the practice and develop it in my own personal life... (from the back cover)." ( ) ( )
  strawberrycreekmtg | Jan 7, 2014 |
I happened to find this book at a time in my life where I really needed some guidance, and I found it to be a great help to me. Ambler works from Eugene's Gendlin theory of focusing, which is an interesting therapy tool for people who are self-motivated and sharp enough to do their own self-care. Ambler presents much of Gendlin's work from a Quaker perspective, showing how Fox, Woolman and others perceived the spiritual life, and how they worked out their religion in their day to day lives.

You don't need to be a Quaker to appreciate Ambler's book, but you should be comfortable with some Quaker language and practice. Anyone who spends a significant time in silent reflection would benefit from this book.

I am going further, and reading Grendlin's original work, but from what I have so far, I think Ambler would be enough for most people. ( )
2 vote Arctic-Stranger | Jan 30, 2009 |
This book describes 'a personal practice of meditation which I discovered in early Friends and' tells 'the story of that discovery and of my attempts to use the practice and develop it in my own personal life.' In the Appendix the author outlines the stages of meditation, based on the practice of early Friends but given present-day relevance and made usable in a workshop format.
  CrosswicksQuakers | Feb 18, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,804,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible