The Love Story of Missy Carmichael

by Beth Morrey

Fiction. Literature. HTML:For readers of Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine and A Man Called Ove, a life-affirming, deeply moving "coming-of-old" story, a celebration of how ordinary days are made extraordinary through friendship, family, and the power of forgiving yourself‚??at any age.
"At a time when people are having to isolate, [this novel is] a balm, offering an expansive sense of love and possibility at a time when the main characters feel like those chances are gone." ‚??Christian Science Monitor

The world has changed around seventy-nine-year-old librarian Millicent Carmichael, aka Missy. Though quick to admit that she often found her roles as a housewife and mother less than satisfying, Missy once led a bustling life driven by two children, an accomplished and celebrated husband, and a Classics degree from Cambridge. Now her husband is gone, her daughter is estranged after a shattering argument, and her son has moved to his wife's native Australia, taking Missy's beloved only grandchild half-a-world away. She spends her days sipping sherry, avoiding people, and rattling around in her oversized, under-decorated house waiting for...what exactly?
The last thing Missy expects is for two perfect strangers and one spirited dog named Bob to break through her prickly exterior and show Missy just how much love she still has to give. In short order, Missy finds herself in the jarring embrace of an eclectic community that simply won't take no for an answer‚??including a rambunctious mutt-on-loan whose unconditional love gives Missy a reason to re-enter the world one muddy paw print at a time.
Filled with wry laughter and deep insights, The Love Story of Missy Carmichael is a coming-of-old story that shows us it's never too late to forgive yourself and, just as important, it's never too late
… (more)

English (31)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (34)
I was really hoping for a sort of older woman coming of age, finds herself and her confidence and launches into a great second life story...this was not it. Millicent is a generally unlikable character who somehow makes friends despite hating herself. I won't give away any specific plot points but I went into this with a "it can only get better" attitude and left sad and defeated. Also, the level of alcoholism in this book baffled me. I kept on hoping that maybe Millicent might get some help for this and that was why drinking and hangovers were their own storyline but I guess I will post one spoiler in that she just keeps on drinking a lot. ( )
  Tosta | Feb 12, 2024 |
The Love Story of Missy Carmichael was definitely a lifelong love story that you could never have imagined. From the love she felt for the friends in the park, to her daughter, son, and husband. Missy was definitely an onion with many layers. I felt it easy to sympathize with her, maybe because I consider myself an introvert with a heart. One of my passions is interior design, and I loved hearing about her huge mansion decorated from another time era. I like the fact that the story was interwoven with facts that let you know that the present was not too far off from 2020. And the way Missy felt about the dog that claimed her is the same way that I feel about the Pomeranian my husband forced me to adopt! It is a book you don't want to put down once you open it! It was also so different from any other love story I had ever read. It was also real. There were genuine HUGE conflicts within the book that many readers may appreciate. I can't wait to read more of Beth Morrey's books! ( )
  doehlberg63 | Dec 2, 2023 |
A gorgeous little gem of a book, Saving Missy made me laugh and cry and, most of all, fall in love with Missy herself.

At times a very hard character to get attached to, Missy undergoes a wonderful development over the course of the book, and I was delighted to see her slowly let her defences down and open up to the possibility of real, loving human relationships. The side characters were for the most part charming and well-developed, with a few who came across as a bit two-dimensional for my taste.

I had some issues with the pacing, as some parts (especially towards the middle) felt just too slow and a bit like filler content, but overall this was an excellent, heartwarming book.
I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review. This did not affect my opinion of the book in any way. ( )
  bookforthought | Nov 7, 2023 |
Loved this book. Missy finds herself caring for someone else's dog and it opens up a whole new world for her.... usually a homebody, she is forced to walk the dog every day and as she does, she meets people that become friends and as a result deals with her past. It's British and witty and has lots of lovely characters. ( )
  dawnlovesbooks | Sep 21, 2023 |
Loved this book. It is a life come full circle. 4.5 stars. Highly recommended. ( )
  erinclark | Sep 4, 2023 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,609,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible