The Rebel Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower)…

The Rebel Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower) (edition 2019)

by Shannon McNear (Author)

12101,164,611 (4.3)None
Member:BeautyintheBinding
Title:The Rebel Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower)
Authors:Shannon McNear (Author)
Info:Barbour Books (2019), 256 pages

The Rebel Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower Book 10) by Shannon McNear

This story illustrates how you can’t help who you will fall in love with. Pearl was a rebel and Josh was a Union soldier who was injured and captured after a battle in Tennessee. These two characters learn that no matter ones beliefs it won’t keep you from falling in love. I loved the romance and the history that was woven into the story. Not many stories I have read about the Civil War take place mainly in Tennessee. This series never disappoints me. I received a copy of this book from Barbour Publishers for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will. ( )
  Virginia51 | Dec 7, 2019 |
I am a fan of the Civil War era so I was excited to learn that author Shannon McNear had taken a different approach in The Rebel Bride. It isn't set on a Southern plantation; instead, the action centers around a middle-class family on their farm in Tennessee. Pearl MacFarlane and her family find themselves with both Union and Confederate soldiers needing care after being wounded in a battle in nearby Georgia. Pearl becomes worn out physically and drained emotionally as she tries to help these men but she becomes especially involved with a soldier whose hand and lower arm had to be amputated. As she tends his wound, a friendship develops between them but their relationship faces many trials. Josh Wheeler is determined to help the Union cause and Pearl's loyalties lie with the South. Is there any way that they could ever find a middle ground?

This is wonderful historical fiction and McNear's descriptive powers placed me right there. I heard the guns being shot, followed by the screams of the wounded soldiers; I felt the cold and the fear; I smelled the blood and chloroform. The Rebel Bride is also Christian fiction and prayer and Bible scripture are often used to show how Pearl and Josh seek help and guidance as they struggle with their different beliefs.

In the historical notes the author mentions her extensive research and it is evident because this story is so very rich in historical detail. Fans of Christian fiction and historical romance will certainly want to read The Rebel Bride.

fcplcataloger | Dec 4, 2019 |
The Rebel Bride by Shannon McNear held my attention from the beginning as it draws the reader into the conflict of the Civil War right away. I liked Pearl from the beginning, but my admiration grew as she developed over the course of the story. Tasked with caring for wounded Yankee soldiers, she struggles with her animosity towards these men who are fighting against her own family. In a way, her character embodies both the values of the North and South. She doesn’t own slaves, but she’s loyal to her state, and hence, the Confederacy. Her internal conflict threads throughout the story and gives a nice level of tension to both herself and Josh, the Union soldier she is so drawn to.

I also appreciated how the author wove themes about trusting God and extending kindness to those in need throughout the entire story. Josh and Pearl are the main characters who struggle with these concepts and their character development lasts the length of the novel.

One thing I have to mention: At the very beginning, the author has a note explaining her use of the terms “Negro” and “darky.” The terms appeared infrequently, but I felt uncomfortable reading these words in the story. I felt like they could have been left out or substituted with the person’s name without any detriment to the story.

The Rebel Bride by Shannon McNear is tenth installment in the Daughters of the Mayflower series from Barbour Publishing, but reads fine as a stand-alone. This novel will likely appeal to readers looking for a contemplative historical romance.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing and was under no obligation to post a review. ( )
1 vote BeautyintheBinding | Dec 2, 2019 |
As a resident of Tennessee, I can attest there is no shortage of Civil War battle sites, including those highlighted in The Rebel Bride.

I appreciate that Shannon McNear’s novel focuses on a middle class, southern family that doesn’t own slaves who represent the “common” people whose lives and personal rights were shoved aside in the name of the war. I also admired that the characters in this book as hard questions about what they are truly fighting for and recognize the answers aren’t black and white (or Blue and Gray).

Throughout The Rebel Bride, McNear puts readers in the center of the conflict—from those forced to give up their homes and use their own resources for wounded soldiers on both sides to the actual battles—while challenging us to view the Civil War from the perspective of those lives forever changed and the devastation of the sheer number of lives lost.

Kudos to McNear for taking on an era she admits to never wanting to write and doing so with impartiality, understanding, and grace.

Disclosure statement:
I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, and/or authors, including NetGalley. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. ( )
1 vote Suzie27 | Dec 2, 2019 |
As The Daughters of the Mayflower series continues to take us down the path of American History, we now reach the Civil War. This story largely takes place at the home of Pearl MacFarlane, her brother and father. The MacFarlanes are imposed upon by Pearl's cousin, Sergeant Travis Bledsoe of the Confederacy, to care for wounded Union soldiers, among them Sergeant Joshua Wheeler. While initially resentful of this intrusion, Pearl's devotion to God, her father's timely use of Scripture, and her growing affection for Sgt. Wheeler, Pearl began to embrace her new and difficult responsibilities.

Shannon McNear provides lengthy front and back material to explain the difficulties she experienced in writing this story as well as pertinent historical information. I enjoyed this story, but at times felt as trapped within the walls of the MacFarlane home as did Pearl, longing to move to new scenery and an interesting side story. I would recommend this book to historical fiction fans, and I continue to love this series. I am grateful to Barbour Publishing for providing me a copy of The Rebel Bride via NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion. I was under no obligation to provide a positive review, and received no monetary compensation. ( )
1 vote claudia.castenir | Dec 1, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,162,362 books! | Top bar: Always visible